Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Howto Easy FuseSMB - access Samba shares from ALL programs. - automatic access to win

Beans

Re: Howto Easy FuseSMB - access Samba shares from ALL programs. - automatic access to

Great that it works.

I don't know why you need the extra parameters?
    If others report similar results, I will add it to the how-to.

Beans

Re: Howto Easy FuseSMB - access Samba shares from ALL programs. - automatic access to

I also had the same problem, that the folder was empty. Then I started looking for a problem, and while googled, after some time the network name appeared in the folder So I guess you just need to wait some time.

I have another question: how to unmount the folder?
    And how to access password protected shares (like c$ or d$) with fusesmb? With smbmount (mount -t smbfs) there's no problem, I just add -o username=***,password=***. But how to do that with fusesmb?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by evaldas View Post
    I also had the same problem, that the folder was empty. Then I started looking for a problem, and while googled, after some time the network name appeared in the folder So I guess you just need to wait some time.

And how to access password protected shares (like c$ or d$) with fusesmb? With smbmount (mount -t smbfs) there's no problem, I just add -o username=***,password=***. But how to do that with fusesmb?
    try it in terminal with the same parameters and see if it works!! I ended up adding the required parameters to the entry in sessions, and it worked out well. Hope that helps!!
    Registered Linux user 446122 , Registered Machine 352936.

Beans

Thanx for the feedback.
    I have added the possible delay to the how-to.
    I remember having problems with C$ way back with Windows NT 4.0,
    So your post called back some ancient memories.
    You could "unhide" the shares by making a new share without the $ sign added.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You may need to edit your fusesmb.conf file it is located in ~/.smb.

I know if I bring my xubuntu laptop to work I have to change the username and password for our doamin.

Right now I can't remeber how the file is layed out, but the man page for fusesmb.conf has an example of a basic file. change the username to "<domain or win pc name>"\username no qoutes.

Hope that helps

Beans

Could somebody explain why the reboot is neede in step 5? Is this to get the user settings right???

Beans

It's sufficient to just restart X.
    You can even skip that, by mounting fusesmb in terminal.
    But that way, you wouldn't know if you entered everything correctly for your session start.
    It's simply the easiest way to check everything works, and I wanted to make this how-to as simple as possible.

Beans

For further options type "fusesmb -h" in terminal,

unmounting,
    Only way for me is to kill fusesmb.

About your problem with c$ or d$,
    Did you find a solution yourself?
    I don't think fusesmb supports automatic login with alternate user-name and password.

Beans

as with any fuse based fs: $fusermount -u mountpoint

And how to access password protected shares (like c$ or d$) with fusesmb?
    I installed the fusesmb package for feisty and it comes with man-pages for fuser.conf (do man fusesmb.conf on the command line, there are good examples at the very bottom): in your ~/.smb/fusesmb.conf file you can add something like
    Code:
    ; Default username and password
    [global]
    username=user
    password=totallysecret
    or for certain servers or shares do:
    Code:
    ; Share-/Server-specific settings
    ;[/SERVER/SHARE]
    ;[/SERVER]
    username=yourusernamehere
    password=totallysecret
    Adapt to your local set-up. E.g. SERVER could be an ip like 192.168.1.23, but don't end neither SERVER nor SHARE with a slash ('/'). But keep in mind that passwords (as far as I know) are send over the samba network in naked plain text.

Hope it helps.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by kakao; September 9th, 2007 at 02:10 PM.

Beans

Hi!

First, thanks for the howto. I like this method of accessing smb-shares much more than the ubuntu-generic style (mainly because some applications can't handle this method).

Secondly, I want to add a piece of information which cost me about two hours of hassling around: Make sure that your server-name does not contain any dots (e.g. don't name your server fp.ath.cx like me). While it works with Windows-clients and also with Ubuntu's native method of accessing shares, it does not work with fusesmb.

Bye,
    airflow

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast