Thread: Vista feature with flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Vista feature with flash

Anyone know of the vista feature where part of the important system information on RAM is moved/copied to flash allowing the system more speed or some such thing?

Is it really useful? Does Ubuntu have anything like this?
    'It seems as if we are sitting here tuning our Ferraris but feel compelled to shout out "I hate Ford!" at least once a day.' by user MikeGreen
    Ubuntu Search

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Vista feature with flash

Yeah I know of it. It's speed drive something right? (I forget what Microsoft calls it). As for how usable it is. It depends on the RAM in your system. I think the tests recall, if you have less then 1 GB you'll notice alot of improvement. If you have around 1 GB you'll see small improvements. And anything more then 2 GBs and they'll be little to not noticable improvements.

As for whether Ubuntu has it. I don't think it does.
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That's the most useless and dumb feature.
    Those USB-Flashdrives are slower than RAM, even slower than an internal Harddrive.
    The massive Reading and Writing is killing those sticks and cards, they only have a limited amount of writecycles, they'll die very fast if you use it.
    It's better to setup a linux-swap partition on your Harddrive, it'll last longer and be faster.
    I just love it when you're being sarcastic --aks44

Beans

It doesn't work. PC World tested it, and found ReadyBoost to not speed up the computer and that ReadyBoost drives where good drives.

Vista should have 1 GB of RAM. (Experience here) At that point, ReadyBoost is useless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think it's actually faster then the hard drive (you can only use certain kinds of flash memory with it. Though you could hack it to make it accept any flash drive but that negates the speed gain).

Though yes, physical RAM is better then all. And yes it does kill your flash drive rather quickly by eating its writes and rewrites.

I've never tried it myself though since my laptop has two GBs of RAM in it. I've just read about the tests being done with it by various PC and overclocking sites trying to see if it actually made a worthwhile difference.

Though the swap in Linux may be better (dunno how the swap differs from a Windows' pagefile) so the need for this for a Linux OS may be slim.
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)