Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who dual boots windows?

Beans

Thanks for the responses

I am going to set up for dual boot, win2k and feisty. I need windows for school mostly at this point, I am scared of not being compatible. Also I need to play Halo
    I am going to look into running xp in a virtual window like you guys were saying, but I need to get feisty rock solid and learn my way around it a bit.

I am really tired of windows nonsense for the most part. I dont mind my own machine, since I have it tweaked and I run GeoShell and stuff, but every machine I sit at at school or at other peoples homes are SOOOO slow and buggy.

Thanks for the tips.

Jason

PS - You guys know you can put Ubuntu on your PS3 right!??!?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Who dual boots windows?

I dual boot my work laptop, mainly because I do use some random windows apps and I occasionally have to troubleshoot user issues. Lately I've been booting to XP about once a month.

I think I'm going to dive into virtualization gutsy+1 when xen goes kernel native 2.6.23

http://git.kernel.org/gitweb.cgi?p=l...18f452bd109045
    Hello, I am a PC and I run Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have to admit to dual booting with Windows XP, but not because I actually use it I haven't "needed" Windows for any of my applications for a couple years now.

But we have several computers in our house and a variety of weird and old hardware, sometimes when hardware isn't working or isn't working properly in Linux we have to have a Windows machine around to help with debugging. My husband also needs Windows for work from time to time (troubleshooting client issues) and since he uses a laptop tossing an extra hard drive in my desktop was the logical option.

Windows hasn't been updated in quite some time though, it's too much of a pain for the 2 times per year I log into it and I'm behind a paranoid firewall anyway.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm dual booting because of work. Only because of work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I dual boot mainly because of games. Also just in case I run into incompatibility with something on Linux, I can fall back to windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by weasel7711 View Post
    Also just in case I run into incompatibility with something on Linux, I can fall back to windows.
    Just out of curiosity, what sorts of things do you have "incompatibility" problems with? Hardware is still a possibility, but over the past 2 years the problems with my old CD-RW burning CDs, printing labels in OpenOffice, sound recording, and printing to my old network printer have all been resolved. I no longer have a need to boot into Windows for any regular tasks.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Desktop -> Windows XP / Ubuntu 7.04
    Laptop -> Ubuntu 7.04 / Ubuntu 7.10 [tribe 5, testing only]
    Home Server \ Media Center -> Ubuntu 6.06.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I give away TheOpenCD and now also OpenEducationCD (in addition to various Ubuntus!). I like to test/demo the CD when I give it out.

That way I can show the recipient what to expect, how to navigate and how to install the various programs.

Several times I gave away the CDs and the recipient didn't know what to do when he/she took it home.

By "testing" the CD in this way I am not insulting anyone and have had much better feedback.

As long as I give away software that runs on windows, I guess I will need to dual boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have dual boot in place for games, but since installing the dual boot i haven't left feisty. It's a pain to have to reboot just to play a game. I'm sure i will eventually tho.
    X2 3800 @ 2.4(stock) ---- M2N SLI Dlx ---- 2 GIG OCZ Plat. Rev. 2 @ 960 5-5-5
    EVGA 7900 GS ---- OCZ GamerXtreme 700
    Non-ubuntu-compatible Leadtek PVR 3000 Dlx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i dualboot with windows because my wife and daughter prefer to use winxp. i use it once in a while for gaming.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast