Thread: Can anybody imagine a world where there's a Ubuntu Center?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Can anybody imagine a world where there's a Ubuntu Center?

there was something called the Ubuntu Center???

I think I read a while back some user from this Ubuntu forum mention something about starting a chain of Ubuntu stores around the world where you could buy preinstalled Ubuntu laptops and desktops. I think it was in a thread regarding windows tax on laptops.

If there really was a marked for Linux on the desktops (and laptops), wouldn't i be cool to have big Ubuntu shops in the major cities around the world where you could walk right in a buy yourself a beautiful looking Ubuntu laptop. You can probably imaging the design of such a laptop with our cool glowing logo in the center on the back of the screen - rotating and glowing when turned on. With hardware where everthing just WORKS to the fullest. A webcam with high resolution placed on the top of the screen. And maybe most importen thing - a nice sticker near the multimedia where it says: "Designed for Ubuntu 8.10 - Ubuntu 9.04 Capable".

Imagine a store where the customers would be served by a group of serviceminded and competent people wearing orange or blue polos, always smiling and showing kindness to others - the Ubuntu way.

Personally I would love to take my friends down to a shop like this, picking up a new printer, knowing that it works without any concerns with my Ubuntu desktop back home and buying myself an Openmoko while I'm there. And lastly ordering myself a copy of the new Ubuntu Desktop CD and Ubuntu Lunchboxes for my boys.

Of course this is all a dream - maybe a rather stupid one since no one in their wildest dreams, if any, would put money in a project like this.
    The Mac people have always said something in the lines of: the best software experience you can ever get is having the hardware built into the software. And its hard to argue against this since so, oh so many mac users are saying thats one of the reasons why they're buying macs instead of the norm and getting a great computer out of it.
    On all of the computers and laptops I have installed Ubuntu, Kubuntu on, I not once had any problems that couldn't easily be fixed because the hardware was supported. No one has complained about it. They all love using their computers.

Last one. If someone doesnt like the name the Ubuntu Center, it can easily be changed to Mark's Boutique since using a name like the Ubuntu Store would probably have its concerns.

Have a nice day.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can anybody imagine a world where........

Maybe this could be something special. I don't think though that this tread belong in the absolute beginners forum - I'd say more like this forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147
    Ubuntu testing release

Ubuntu User # 15479
    Linux User # 448500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Can anybody imagine a world where there's a Ubuntu Center?

Would the Ubuntu Centre be like the "4400 Centre"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4400

Seriously though, I don't think a retail chain is realistic - PC shops go out of business every week around here, it's just not a viable business model any more. Let's just continue to encourage the likes of Dell etc to put linux on their machines
    "Mae cyfryfiadur'n dweud 'Na'!" (Computer says "No!")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Though, how about something that just lets people try them out, in the style of a computer lab/internet cafe, all with Ubuntu (or Kubuntu, or both, or whatever) machines. People could just walk in, read their emails, try things out (and have some eyecandy), and they'd realise how great Ubuntu is.
    I hear that Deepfreeze is coming to Linux, so you could set it up so that when they log off, all the settings, cookies, and anything else on the comp is reset to an earlier state, so that it could never get truly messed up.
    Just a thought.

Beans

Seems like a bad idea to me. Dedicated retail's increasingly irrelevant; you'd probably do better to try getting Ubuntu Stations into Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc.