Thread: CS:S+Steam+Wine=Broked.

Beans

CS:S+Steam+Wine=Broked.

Well... Now I have everything up and running. Including CS:S. the problem is that it loads for a while, then the background screen turns sideways, then is cut in half by a diagonal stripe of agony, then the menu appears, but all of the characters are terribly corrupted, bearing no resemblance to the words that they're supposed to.
    I'm using a rather crappy graphics card (nvidia gforce4 MX I believe) so maybe that's the problem?

oh, yeah, and when I quit, it puts me back onto the desktop at 800x600 res, and the buttons of steam (minimize, close, launch, etc.) no longer work.
    Last edited by nickajeglin; August 11th, 2007 at 07:06 PM.

Beans

Re: CS:S+Steam+Wine=Broked.

do you have a kernel newer than 2.6.14? i'm asking this because there some known issues with that kernel or older
    Last edited by dinux; August 11th, 2007 at 11:10 PM.

Beans

What's the code to find that out?

Beans

Code:
    echo `uname -r`
    Should display that info

Code:
    ajn@ajn-desktop:~$ echo `uname -r`
    2.6.20-16-generic

Beans

That's the exaxt same numbers that I get.

Beans

Not too much of a suprise there.
    Regarding the issue at hand, I havent tried HL via wine, actually, I havent used wine at all but I believe that the answers you seek may be found at www.winehq.org.

If you find out anything useful, try and conclude this thread with it, as others may have a similar problem!

Beans

Actually http://appdb.winehq.org/ has been far more helpful to me than just winehq. They go through and test a bunch of apps and post the results. I've used it a bunch since I switched over from windows. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem there or anywhere so far, so I posted here in hopes that someone would have the skills that I lack to fix it.