Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Loco

Beans

Iowa Loco

Hey, I want to start a LoCo for Iowa. I am new, but we need to get it started...how do I do that??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Iowa Loco

Greetings jkarns,

Happy to hear of your interest in starting a US Loco Team in the great

state of Iowa. Please join us in #ubuntu-us the server is Freenode.

There we can help you set up all the resources needed to get the Iowa

team up and running. When you join the channel, just state that you

are interested in starting the Iowa Team. We're looking forward to

meeting you.

johnc4510
    US Teams Project Mentor
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth!
    ArizonaTeam Wiki | Arizona Launchpad | Membership
    |
    IRC Channel: #ubuntu-us-az
    Server: irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I just so happen to be in Iowa as well What city are you interested in centering in? I live in Iowa City right now. Typically, beginning a LoCo requires one to setup/organize meetings and find other members, usually through hosting intersting talks/install fests, etc.

Beans

I've started organizing the Iowa wiki. KRUU-LP, the community radio station in Fairfield (kruufm.com) uses Ubuntu on all desktops, and we've managed to migrate 3 people we know of to Ubuntu. We've also had several CDs handed out, and will probably host a Gutsy Gibbon Installfest. I want to bring the wiki up to generally gauge the interest in Ubuntu in this and other Iowa communities.

I've got the mailing list up (ubuntu-us-ia@lists.ubuntu.com) as of this morning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Well I'm glad I checked this. I've been trying to get an Iowa team set up through Kirkwood Community College. Nice to see all of you are local. The IowaTeam wiki was empty, so I thought it was inactive and kind of took it over, sorry. We should all combine forces seeing as we're all in the same area. Let me know if you guys are still interested, what projects you're currently working on, and if you have a teams set up. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

This thing dead? I'd consider joining.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I don't think so. The Iowa Team Wiki has been updated too. Check it out: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IowaTeam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would like to join as well since I just got Ubuntu and I live in Iowa.

Beans

Hey Guys,

I'd like to join too. We're in Northern Iowa.

How do I sign up?

Orca Wave

Beans

One more thing, if I'm gonna be a part of the Iowa group you all need to read THIS (if after reading it, you'd prefer that I NOT join, just be upfront and tell me so! OK?):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792212&page=2

I won't be offended.

This hacking disaster *started* in Arkansas, but I've lived in Northern Iowa for a little over 3 and a half years now.

There is a second half to this story, and it can be found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798264

Would ANY of you know somebody that does Linux security in Iowa (for payment I mean), I think that I have someone lined up here in Mason City, but if that was to fall through, do any of you do security on Ubuntu (I've got both Gutsy Gibbon 7.04, AND Hardy Heron 8.10)?

I'm going to buy either 'The Ratel' desktop, or 'The Wild Dog' desktop in July, both are sold by System 76.

I'm gonna put a really fast (and very SECURE) D-Link gaming router on it ( http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGL-410...1259469&sr=1-3 ) and an 'Alpha Shield' external firewall in front of that (where it meets the Net) HERE IT IS: http://alphashield.com/php/AlphaShield.php

I *think* that with hardening the Linux Ubuntu distro, to the very maximum of it's ability, I THINK that I can stop this socio-path from destroying yet another computer (fingers crossed!)

I sure HOPE SO, anyways!

If any of you are interested in helping us in our plight, I'd love to speak with you.

Anyway, I've talked long enough.

I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Orca Wave
    Last edited by OrcaWave; May 20th, 2008 at 06:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast