Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iowa Loco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Iowa Loco

Quote Originally Posted by OrcaWave View Post
    One more thing, if I'm gonna be a part of the Iowa group you all need to read THIS (if after reading it, you'd prefer that I NOT join, just be upfront and tell me so! OK?):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792212&page=2

I won't be offended.

This hacking disaster *started* in Arkansas, but I've lived in Northern Iowa for a little over 3 and a half years now.

There is a second half to this story, and it can be found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798264

Would ANY of you know somebody that does Linux security in Iowa (for payment I mean), I think that I have someone lined up here in Mason City, but if that was to fall through, do any of you do security on Ubuntu (I've got both Gutsy Gibbon 7.04, AND Hardy Heron 8.10)?

I'm going to buy either 'The Ratel' desktop, or 'The Wild Dog' desktop in July, both are sold by System 76.

I'm gonna put a really fast (and very SECURE) D-Link gaming router on it ( http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGL-410...1259469&sr=1-3 ) and an 'Alpha Shield' external firewall in front of that (where it meets the Net) HERE IT IS: http://alphashield.com/php/AlphaShield.php

I *think* that with hardening the Linux Ubuntu distro, to the very maximum of it's ability, I THINK that I can stop this socio-path from destroying yet another computer (fingers crossed!)

I sure HOPE SO, anyways!

If any of you are interested in helping us in our plight, I'd love to speak with you.

Anyway, I've talked long enough.

I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Orca Wave
    I'm sorry to hear about that, but I don't know why it would affect you in joining a LoCo. I see no problem with you joining. Although, we don't exactly have a LoCo yet, so technically no of us can join yet. How exactly do we get this started?

edit:actually there does seem to be a LoCo for Iowa at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IowaTeam
    Last edited by Captain panda; July 2nd, 2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake of mine

Beans

Hi,
    I have been in here for quite some time never registered in the forums....anyway I live in mason city too...been using ubuntu for awhile now...im happy to see somebody else around the area interested in ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

In Cedar Rapids myself... I can't see any sign that the local group is active at all. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

::tap tap tap:: This thing on?

~ Urbandale, IA

Beans
    Distro

Yes. Less than three. Meet me here on IRC. L O L O L.

... it's lyrics. You can contact us via mailing list (which strangely was active all of a sudden) or hop on chat.freenode.net #ubuntu-us-ia.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Iowa Loco

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicSpark View Post
    You can contact us via mailing list (which strangely was active all of a sudden)
    Yes, someone started it up again and took over revamping it. Link to the mailing list page is here.

Also, how do we get a sub-forum/forum folder here on the Ubuntu forums?
    I see that lots of other states have one, but none for Iowa. (Hint, hint, wink, wink, Moderators/Administrators.)
    I'm just a geek...

Beans
    Distro

I hope there are some people still wanting to do this in Iowa. I live in Newton and am willing to join. I will see if anyone is in the IRC later tonight. When I get the time, I will browse around and see if people are still interested in this group or not. However, when reading the thread, it seems like we are a little more spread out than I would like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rempresent View Post
    I hope there are some people still wanting to do this in Iowa. I live in Newton and am willing to join. I will see if anyone is in the IRC later tonight. When I get the time, I will browse around and see if people are still interested in this group or not. However, when reading the thread, it seems like we are a little more spread out than I would like.
    I want to do this! I don't know how much I can commit to any of it, though... I know what you mean about being spread out. We need Iowa Locos for 50313, 50312, 50265, 50266... LOL.
    I'm just a geek...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12