Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't get wine hq to start

Beans

Can't get wine hq to start

This is my 1st day with Ubuntu Linux, I have everything running good except a good wma music player. But I installed wine hq(at least thats what the screen said), but i cant find it anywhere. I dont even know how to run the program. I tried to use the guide at http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...DEX+Wine+Games
    but i couldnt get it. Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't get wine hq to start

Wine isn't really a program that you can run, it's just a compatibility layer that allows Windows apps to run in Linux. Click on the "Stuff I've learned about Wine" link in my sig for more information.
    Last edited by cogadh; August 10th, 2007 at 02:12 AM.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Wine isn't really a program that you can run, it's just an emulation layer that allows Windows apps to run in Linux. Click on the "Stuff I've learned about Wine" link in my sig for more information.
    excuse the dumbass question but, I read ur thread, and im still lost. I dont even know how to start the prog. Forgive the slowness this is my first day with ubuntu linux i had to skip my workout for yesterday and today just to get my laptop where its at now.

Beans
    Distro

I guess the first step is to ask what Windows application do you want to run in Linux?

Beans

I guess the first step is to ask what Windows application do you want to run in Linux?
    Half life which means i have to run steam, also myspace im, o media monkey cuz all the media players i tried for linux sucks

Beans
    Distro

You don't like to start with easy things, do you. Okay, lets start with Steam.

The first thing you need to do is download the Steam client installation (SteamInstall.msi). I recommend saving it to your home folder. Once you have downloaded it, do this in a terminal to start the install:
    Code:
    wine msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi
    The install should progress just as it does in Windows. After the install, Steam will launch and may fail to update at 26%, if it does, do this:
    Code:
    wine SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14
    Once you've got it installed, post back and we'll move on to the rest. I may not be available to help for much longer, but there are plenty of people on these forums who can assist further.

EDIT - I just did a check on Wine's AppDB (the Wine Application Database) and both MySpace IM and Media Monkey won't run in Wine. There are plenty of IM alternatives available on Linux, but I don't know if they are compatible with whatever protocol MySpace uses. As for a media player, there are literally dozens of alternatives available on Linux, but they do require you to install some proprietary codecs before they will support wma playback. If the files you are trying to play have DRM applied to them, you won't be able to play them at all in Linux.
    Last edited by cogadh; August 10th, 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hyg71886 View Post
    media monkey cuz all the media players i tried for linux sucks
    Errmm... what exactly do you expect out of a media player? There's dozens of amazing cross-platform audio and video players in existance. Many of them are in the repos.

Beans

You don't like to start with easy things, do you. Okay, lets start with Steam.

The first thing you need to do is download the Steam client installation (SteamInstall.msi). I recommend saving it to your home folder. Once you have downloaded it, do this in a terminal to start the install:
    Code:
    wine msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi
    The install should progress just as it does in Windows. After the install, Steam will launch and may fail to update at 26%, if it does, do this:
    Code:
    wine SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14
    Once you've got it installed, post back and we'll move on to the rest. I may not be available to help for much longer, but there are plenty of people on these forums who can assist further.

EDIT - I just did a check on Wine's AppDB (the Wine Application Database) and both MySpace IM and Media Monkey won't run in Wine. There are plenty of IM alternatives available on Linux, but I don't know if they are compatible with whatever protocol MySpace uses. As for a media player, there are literally dozens of alternatives available on Linux, but they do require you to install some proprietary codecs before they will support wma playback. If the files you are trying to play have DRM applied to them, you won't be able to play them at all in Linux.
    After the 26% thing happened i did step 2 and got this

hyg71886@Vanessa:~$ wine SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14
    wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\SteamTmp.exe": Module not found
    Last edited by hyg71886; August 10th, 2007 at 03:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I was afraid that might happen. Do you have Steam installed on a Windows machine already?

Beans

I was afraid that might happen. Do you have Steam installed on a Windows machine already?
    no, all i have is linux now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast