Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent: Now Closed Source

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

BitTorrent: Now Closed Source

Reference Article: Here.

Well, like the title says the mainline client for BitTorrent is now closed source. I will clarify that from what I've read this covers both the actual client and the protocols in development. The client being closed source isn't a shock really, since the acquisition of uTorrent by Bram, the protocol however is. The reason that was stated for keeping the main client closed source is as follows:
    There are two aspects to the BitTorrent open source debate - the protocol itself, and the client. What helped motivate BitTorrent's decision to close the mainline client?

"There are two issues people need to come to grips with. Developers who produce open source products will often have their product repackaged and redistributed by businesses with malicious intent. They repackage the software with spyware or charge for the product. We often receive phone calls from people who complain they have paid for the BitTorrent client."
    Frankly, I don't get it. Closing the main client won't prevent scams, there's nothing stopping people from repackaging the installer itself and adding (or slipping in) things that users would click through (as has been done to uTorrent itself far too many times). An observant commenter brought this up, fifth post down (link at bottom of article to discussion).

The protocols also will not be publicly available either. Instead anyone wishing to get at them will have to get an SDK license (I don't know how easy or difficult this is, I'm not a developer of a client). I don't see a use in not publishing the protocols... who is this aimed at stopping? Surely any malicious person can still impersonate being a developer and get a license?

This affects only the latest client (6.0), the older versions will remain as they are open, however I don't like this one bit. To me, it doesn't feel right at all. BitTorrent is about openness and sharing with everyone, and the main client has always represented that it seems by well being open and cross-platform (least to my knowledge. I may not have liked or used the main client, but it was always there). Doesn't really seem to be consistent with the whole concept behind BitTorrent, does it?

One last note to make, uTorrent, for those that don't know, is a Windows only client (the 6.0 beta is accordingly only Windows too). Unless something drastic happens, I assume it will remain as such for the foreseeable future. I mean I don't get the impression the uTorrent developers were ever interested in porting to Mac or *nix.

So, how do you feel? Thoughts? Comments? Please leave piracy out of this, what people share is a discussion for another day. P2P does have very legitimate uses such as Linux Distros (and other giant files), Creative Commons media, as well as original content shared with small communities on both private and public trackers.

Oh and as for me, I guess I'm just gonna add BitTorrent/uTorrent to my list of black listed programs that I don't use/recommend (which includes BitComet, Norton, McAfee and a few others I don't like) . Sad day I think, really sad.

Beans

Re: BitTorrent: Now Closed Source

I don't like this either. I always looked up at BitTorrent. Now, I will probably just keep away from torrents.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!

They didn't close source the main client. They just started using uTorrent as the main client, which is closed source.

Oh, and about it being windows only - they are aparently making a mac version, and I think a linux version after that. I'm not sure though.

P2P does have very legitimate uses such as Linux Distros (and other giant files),
    What's illegitimate about piracy? =P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use bittorent to download LiveCDs. I wonder how projects like Azureus and uTorrent are going to work out now in the future. Oh and uTorrent has been ported to work 100% in WINE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

How is selling Free Software a scam? There's nothing illegal in selling Free Software.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    I don't like this either. I always looked up at BitTorrent. Now, I will probably just keep away from torrents.
    Well, avoiding torrents as a whole isn't really a solution I don't think. I mean it's a sound system, it's been integrated into large services like Joost, Akami and several other media services like the back ends for ustream and Stickam I believe. It's here to stay regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by juxtaposed View Post
    They didn't close source the main client. They just started using uTorrent as the main client, which is closed source.
    Kinda semantics from my view point... regardless when it's released it will be the main client, and as such represent BitTorrent as a whole (Bram is the creator after all). It sends mixed messages that I don't like IMO. I certainly don't see it stopping the scams or malicious trackers/seeds of some zealous MPAA backed companies.

Oh, and about it being windows only - they are apparently making a mac version, and I think a linux version after that. I'm not sure though.
    Never heard mention of any such thing... regardless I'm of course not interested in a close sourced torrent client when options like Ktorrent and Deluge exist for us. I just don't like the idea of the openness being hampered.

LOL! Let's not get started...

Quote Originally Posted by cmat View Post
    I use bittorent to download LiveCDs. I wonder how projects like Azureus and uTorrent are going to work out now in the future. Oh and uTorrent has been ported to work 100% in WINE.
    Really? Didn't know. That doesn't really constitute cross-platform though, in the same way games running under WINE aren't really played on Linux, their played in a reimplementation of Windows.

As for future projects, I dunno. I suppose it depends on the SDK/licensing and the developers themselves. I don't have any insight into development.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hex_Mandos View Post
    How is selling Free Software a scam? There's nothing illegal in selling Free Software.
    It was a scam because some sites were offering uTorrent for a fee when it was the exact same client with no modifications (which was deceptive in the way they presented it). Some even wrapped malicious code in the installer/package and other such bad things in it. uTorrent has been targeted by a number of these due to it's popularity. Selling free software in and of itself isn't bad, but being deceptive/malicious about it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by juxtaposed View Post
    +1!!! =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Fork the protocol anyone?
    This is my signature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

so is the protocol closed source? like, will all the bittorent programs now have to get "sdk licences" or whatever?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast