I must be missing something. Why do you need to run LightScribe as root? I have used the following instructions to successfully setup the LightScribe Simple Labeler software.
LightScribe is used to label LightScribe discs.
- obtain the software from: LightScribe website. Both the System Software and the Simple Labeler software are required. These should be saved to your desktop.
- install the software. There are two components. The core software must be installed first, then the Application.
64-bit Linux (This needs to be installed using the following commands in a Terminal). The version numbers will need to be changed to match the actual download files. The first two commands will install the LightScribe software. The remaining commands will resolve issues with referencing a required library.
For both 32-bit and 64-bit installations, set the label so that it will print darker:
sudo dpkg -i --force architecture lightscribe-126.96.36.199-linux-2.6-intel.deb
sudo dpkg -i --force architecture lightscribeApplications-188.8.131.52-linux-2.6-intel.deb
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/liblightscribe.so.1 /usr/lib32/
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/liblightscribe.so /usr/lib32/
Once installed, then a menu option can be created to use the software.
1. Right-click on Applications and select Edit Menu from the context menu.
2. Click on Accessories, which is where the lightscribe menu item will be placed.
3. Click the New Item button, and enter the following information into the fields:
a. Ensure that Type is set to Application.
b. Name may be anything. I use LightScribe Labeller.
c. Command is: /opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler (the browse button may be used to locate the application, which is in the /opt/lightscribeApplciations/SimpleLabeler folder.
d. Comment may be anything. I use Writes a label on Lightscribe-enabled discs
e. Click on the icon and browse to /opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler/content/images folder. Once browsed, a list of suitable icons appears. Select one.
f. Click on the Close button, which will complete the application.
I am attaching a screenshot showing the final setup of the Application Launcher Panel.
To use, select the launcher from Applications > Accessories > LightScribe Labeller (or whatever was put in the Name field.
Hope this helps,