This is my first how-to. I wrote it so you can follow it step by step. Hope everyone enjoys it and finds it useful.
So you got LightScribe working. If you have not check out these threads:
HOWTO: Install Lightscribe Software
How-to: Lightscribe under Feisty Fawn
This has been tested with Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn x64 bit, but this should work with 32 bit version.
Explanation: This is a how-to to get lightscribe properly launch from the menu with root permission. I wrote this small script because I wanted the menu option and did not want to always have the terminal open while burning the label on the disc.
Required Items: Lightscribe drive working (Use the links above to help you get it working if you have not gotten it working.), Root Access
Uninstalling/Undoing Delete the created menu link and the script
1) Save the following script as lightscribe.sh:
2) I placed this file in a folder called scripts in my home folder: /home/user/scripts
# Opens 4L-gui under sudo to print
foo=`gksudo -u root -k -m "Enter your password for 4L-gui root access (It needs it to burn the label image.)" /bin/echo "got r00t?"`
3) Now Right Click on the Applications Menu and select Edit Menus
4) Decide where you want Lightscribe listing to show. I placed it in the Sound and Video folder. Click New Item on the right.
5) A dialog box will appear. Just fill in the following:
Name: Lightscribe (Or whatever you wish)
Command: sh [script location]
Comment: Label a disc (This comment appears when your mouse is hovering over the icon.
In my case:
Command: sh /home/user/scripts/lightscribe.sh
If you want to use an icon, use the following attached image.
Most icons are kept in this folder: /usr/share/pixmaps/
Now hit close
If you want to keep the all your icons in a localized and central place. Follow these steps:
1) Save the attached image to your desktop or somewhere you can easily access.
2) Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
3) cd (Change Directory) into the folder with the downloaded image
5) That just copied the image to that directory, to be sure
sudo cp lightscribe.png /usr/share/pixmaps/
then type 6) Type Go ahead and give it a test run. If you have any problems/questions/comments, please feel free to post them.