Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Spec Limbo: How low can you go?

Beans

Computer Spec Limbo: How low can you go?

Basically just post the lowest specs you have (But can still boot! No '0 ram 0 proccessor!). I'll start
    256 mb ram+500 mhz processor...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Computer Spec Limbo: How low can you go?

[What about including the OS you manage to run in this game? That would add some spice. ]

Beans

<Removed by anti-win> XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    What about including the OS you manage to run in this game? That would add some spice.
    Agreed
    LXDE, 128M, single core

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by v3.xx View Post
    Agreed
    LXDE, 128M, single core
    Processor speed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How low can you go?
    Not very low , pretty much like a limbo competitor with a broken back in a full body brace

Win 8.1/Ubuntu 14.04 Unity dual boot ... 16 GB ... Intel® Core™ i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4 (Hyper-threaded dual core)

All my older machines are dead, so can't count any of them here. Basically why I've now got this beast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    Win 8.1/Ubuntu 14.04 Unity dual boot ... 16 GB ... Intel® Core™ i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4 (Hyper-threaded dual core)
    Now thats not very low spec.

And in answer to the above. 1.2 or 1.3GHz. And yes it would boot, it was just pretty much worthless after that. I did successfully turn it into a jukebox. Got to have at least a G of ram these days (imo).

goodnight

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

freenas running on a 166 MHz (overclocked to 188 MHz) Pentium whitebox PC, with 256 MB of RAM (maximum for the box) run a few TB zfs RAID pool. Because I can.

Running DSL (Damn Small Linux) on an HP Omnibook, 166 MHz Pentium, 32 MB of RAM. Using a PCMCIA ethernet card. Looking for a 16-bit PCMCIA, wireless 802.11B card for it--kind of hard to find.

Lowest spec Ubuntu machine runs Hardy 10.04 on a Dell GX1, 500 MHz, Pentium III, with 786 MB of RAM (maximum), performance is OK. Not great, but hot horrible either.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Lowest spec Ubuntu machine runs Hardy 10.04 on a Dell GX1, 500 MHz, Pentium III, with 786 MB of RAM (maximum), performance is OK. Not great, but hot horrible either.
    Anyone running a P3 should have bragging rites
    I like to have a multi processor PIII, but wife has said no more servers in the house

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu Forums thread: the lowest working case when testing computers with low specifications using Ubuntu

Doug S
    has an old computer that he uses for minimum requirements testing for Ubuntu Server. He was running the development 14.04 'trusty' server.

The CPU is a Pentium Pro at 200 Mhz. It has 128 Megabytes of memory.

The computer was purchased in 1996. He could also run 9w with graphics (based on Debian Wheezy i386 which has a non-pae kernel). This beats my low record for Ubuntu, and he could install a trusty text based system using the 9w installer.

Those tests are referred to in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods. See particularly the posts #2, 88, 89 ... 117 ... in this thread about testing 9w: have you got a really old computer

My own low record for Ubuntu family operating systems

My low record for Ubuntu family operating systems is the following: I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with kansasnoob's Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks booting from a Plop CD and chainloading to a USB pendrive with the One Button Installer into my old Compaq Presario 5640 with P2 400 MHz CPU and 192 MB RAM. It was very slow due to heavy swapping, but it worked. I still remember staring at the drawing of the pangolin while the desktop was getting ready to be used

After that I also used 9w successfully in that old Compaq and could install trusty based systems. This computer was sold with Windows 98 (and the Pentium 2, 400 MHz was also released 1998) and with 64 MB RAM. I had another old memory card, so that I could upgrade the RAM to 192 MB, which made a big difference in performance (from not working to working).

The RAM used when running idle after 3 reboots for some light-weight systems is reported in the following link 9w RAM & disk usage
    Last edited by sudodus; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast