Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thunderbird 2 via script: lost audio notify

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: thunderbird 2 via script: lost audio notify

I sincerely appreciate your efforts! This kind of hand-holding is the reason Ubuntu is my "main" Linux installation!

Given that this all began with the Ubuntuzilla upgrade, I thought I'd start here....but, yes, it may be time to get the Mozilla Folks involved...

Thanks again!
    "He who lives by the penguin, dies by the penguin."
    (at least 'till he figures out what he's doing!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    I sincerely appreciate your efforts! This kind of hand-holding is the reason Ubuntu is my "main" Linux installation!

Given that this all began with the Ubuntuzilla upgrade, I thought I'd start here....but, yes, it may be time to get the Mozilla Folks involved...

Thanks again!
    well, i'm glad you had fun, even though your problem is still unsolved.
    please, if you get it solved with the help of mozilla people, post back here and let me know what you needed to do to get it fixed...
    thanks for sticking with me and not giving up.

Beans
    Distro

In the interest of thoroughness, I just tried running the uninstall feature of the Ubuntuzilla script, deleting ALL my Thunderbird files, and reinstalling TBird via the script. Started a NEW profile, and tested the audio notify feature....

Zilch.

Still get this error console entry:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISound.play]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/preferences/general.js :: anonymous :: line 141" data: no]
    Now [scratching head] which Mozilla guys do I report this to...?

Beans
    Distro

THIS JUST IN!

I ran the script in uninstall mode, then installed a (64-bit) .deb from here: http://ubuntu.iuculano.it/dists/feisty/thunderbird/

It was 'only' version 2.0.0.5...but the audio notify worked!!! (Hey! It just went off again! )

Doesn't this imply that there IS something in the 'zilla script that's causing this 'failure of audio notify' problem?

Beans
    Distro

Now [scratching head] which Mozilla guys do I report this to...?
    well, this site has a bunch of resources to look at:
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Developing_Mozilla
    either try the irc channel, or one of the forums (choose the appropriate one).

Beans
    Distro

THIS JUST IN!

I ran the script in uninstall mode, then installed a (64-bit) .deb from here: http://ubuntu.iuculano.it/dists/feisty/thunderbird/

It was 'only' version 2.0.0.5...but the audio notify worked!!! (Hey! It just went off again! )

Doesn't this imply that there IS something in the 'zilla script that's causing this 'failure of audio notify' problem?
    well, my guess would really be that there's something in the mozilla's build of thunderbird, or the interaction between the 32bit build and the 64bit OS. the ubuntuzilla script itself really doesn't do anything besides download the release tar.gz, unzip it into /opt, and put in some symbolic links so you can launch it instead of the repositories version. nothing to do with sound, configuration, profiles, etc.

one thing you could try is just download the tar.gz from mozilla, unzip it manually into some directory in your home dir, and run it from there - see if that gives you audio notify or not. if not, then it's clearly just the mozilla build's interaction with your environment. if it does, then .. well then i'd be really surprised.

Beans
    Distro

Just to update you with the latest:

I had been using an older version of the Ubuntuzilla script (4.1.1, I think.) I tried the new script (4.3) on my Pentium 4, Feisty 32-bit: The audio notify works fine.

I just tried the 4.3 script on the Feisty 64-bit, and the audio notify still does not work.

Did I mention that a .deb from here installs and DOES have a working audio notify on the Feisty 64-bit?)

[edit] Ooops. I did mention that. What would that .deb be doing differently than your script?

Beans
    Distro

Just to update you with the latest:

I had been using an older version of the Ubuntuzilla script (4.1.1, I think.) I tried the new script (4.3) on my Pentium 4, Feisty 32-bit: The audio notify works fine.

I just tried the 4.3 script on the Feisty 64-bit, and the audio notify still does not work.

Did I mention that a .deb from here installs and DOES have a working audio notify on the Feisty 64-bit?)

[edit] Ooops. I did mention that. What would that .deb be doing differently than your script?
    well, the .deb from there is a native 64bit binary, whereas the ubuntuzilla version is the same 32bit binary, running through the 32bit compatibility libraries...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    well, the .deb from there is a native 64bit binary, whereas the ubuntuzilla version is the same 32bit binary, running through the 32bit compatibility libraries...
    I'm too new at this to know how that might contribute to the Ubuntuzilla = No audio, but 64-bit.deb = Audio problem...

Does it suggest anything to you?

Beans
    Distro

I'm too new at this to know how that might contribute to the Ubuntuzilla = No audio, but 64-bit.deb = Audio problem...

Does it suggest anything to you?
    hehe, it suggests that there may be something missing from the 32bit compatibility libraries... or something weird in the mozilla build of thunderbird...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast