Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sometimes I wonder about tech support guys...

Beans

Talking Sometimes I wonder about tech support guys...

At work today I had to call in tech support to sort out my pc as it wasn't connecting to the network. I'm working for a large corporate client (lets call them "xyz") so the usual infrastructure systems are in place - ie the same build pcs.

Anyway, as I perform automated tests, we've got admin rights and have a test lab setup so we've deviated from the custom build. The guy came down to work out why my internet access had gone down and started freaking out at all the additional software I had installed. Now bear in mind this is a support guy whose job it is to deal with setups and builds, he starts going through all my quick launch icons and turns round to me and says

"so what's firefox? I keep seeing it on peoples pcs"

my jaw almost hit the flaw - how long has firefox been out!? I politely replied "its a browser, like IE but much more secure and with better features. You should try it out sometime"

"Not on a 'xyz' machine" he sheepishly replied before trying to tell me that defragging my machine would miraculously speed it up!

what a tool. how do people like this work in the industry?

Beans

Re: Sometimes I wonder about tech support guys...

Same here dude!! This summer I'm working in an industry (called 'abc' ). I installed firefox and they made me feel like a criminal!! They didn't know it was an alternative to IE... I thought firefox was really famous...
    Say HI!!

Beans

I just want to point out that I do over the phone tech support for an ISP and telecom company, and I use both Firefox and Ubuntu full time at home. At work I have to use Windows, because of some win-only programs,but I only use Firefox when I'm at work, and I've even helped installing Ubuntu on an intranet wiki server. Ok yes, I do sometimes get queer eyes from co-workers, but never anything like this.

Beans

Well the company probably decided not to pay an actual IT person and just made a bunch of scripted solutions to some random guy with a business degree who knew all the right answers on his human resources interview.

Even my company hired a bunch of guys on my 'generation" with computer skills that go from Gurus to people who knew point and click and emailing and have en just follow a bunch of scripts to see if they manage to get with a solution somehow. Hell some of them even struggle to communicate with english customers, let alone help em fix their problems.
    Last edited by Dimitriid; August 6th, 2007 at 09:35 PM.

Beans

In the big salary field of IT support, it is tough to get knowledgeable workers. My co-workers are pretty good (although we get a lot of entry level people who don't know anything), but they could care less about computing as soon as 4pm hits. Not knowing Firefox, that's just down right wrong.
    Freedom baby! Freedom!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I called Microsoft tech support a few times trying to get MS fight Simulator 2002 working on my Windows 98 machine. It was caused by having to many items in the task bar. But I was transfered like 3 times to different people, because they couldn't figure it out. It's like the front line are the rookies (IT equivalent of cannon fodder), if they cant answer your problem, the next best, then the next best, until the problem is solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am speechless (in reference to OP). Some people really shouldn't be in the Tech field it seems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That is simply amazing , This is my life , It chose me and happed totally by accident , Once I realized that this is the only thing I'm good at , it was all over , I now must set out on a personal crusade to eliminate these so called "techs" who make the real ones look bad......Like the majority of geek squad for example.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think it really depends on the tech support job. Most ones nowadays (that deal with repair) follow guides. At least the big ones you could think of (say Geek Squad) for example. When you call for IT help it's just a system they follow. If their manual can't help you (level one) then they elevate you to level two. And so on, until they reach the people who actually know what they're doing (But there isn't many of them because it would actually cost a company more money to hire people who know what they're doing).

But then again most calls are from people that level one could deal with (say "have you tried restarting or plugging in the computer yet".
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cmat View Post
    It's like the front line are the rookies (IT equivalent of cannon fodder), if they cant answer your problem, the next best, then the next best, until the problem is solved.
    Yes, of course. That way, the first one in line can solve >80% of all calls and has a chance to learn something. If he does not solve one, he might also have learned something if he is clever.

Once he has learned enough ...
    You see the picture, I trust.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast