Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't play any game on Intel X3000

Beans

[SOLVED] Can't play any game on Intel X3000

I have a DG965RY motherboard having a integrated Intel X3000 IGP.
    I am still unable to play any game on my PC, either native or through Wine.
    Penumbra Demo shows the intro movies and then freezes at start of game and I have no other option than to reboot.
    Similarly MaxPayne demo also doesn't starts up and quits complaining
    err:quartz:GraphBuilder_AddSourceFilter Load (80070003)
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetAvailableTextureMe m (0xa72268) : stub, simulating 64MB for now, returning 64MB left
    err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
    Strangely, MaxPayne runs when I disable direct rendering ( by not loading DRI module of xorg.conf). But then performance is poor( about 2 FPS).
    Conter Strike:Condition Zero also causes a freeze, requiring a hard reboot.

I am attaching output of glxinfo and also my xorg.conf.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz, Intel DG965RY mobo, 250 GB sata2 HDD Segate, 1 GB ram(single DIMM), Ubuntu Feisty.

Please ask if I can provide any other info.

EDIT: Was able to run Crash Team racing on PSX Emulator though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mysticmatrix; August 7th, 2007 at 12:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Re: Can't play any game on Intel X3000

Ubuntu gaming and onboard (intel or amd) video cards are like water and oil (they don't mix)

I had similar trouble and got a video card (Nvidia Geforce 6200a) not the newest but very good with gaming, good price too. I am not trying to sell anything, get a video card, but read into other forums about that.
    "Ubuntu- Pleasing millions of users at a time"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't play any game on Intel X3000

The problem is the open source Intel drivers suck, so its not just a problem on Ubuntu, but on any Linux platform.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Well I was able to play Tremulous and Nexuiz(at medium setting) though. I guess there would exist a way to make those other game work.

As for a card, I plan to buy Nvidia card, but I have to wait till next year.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Good Planning then
    "Ubuntu- Pleasing millions of users at a time"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you tried installing the package xserver-xorg-video-intel ?

If you have an intel card, this is the first thing to do. xserver-xorg-video-810 (and 915resolution) are obsolete and should be uninstalled.

The proper name in xorg.conf for the driver section is intel instead of i810.

Test games like neverball, tremoulous or openarena (0.7 from getdeb).
    Try not to use compiz & friends as you might hit a bug when trying to playback video. Hopefully those things will be fixed in gutsy...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Artemis: If you're talking about the BLUE block in video playback, this intel issue has been around for basically ever.
    This is a limitation of the hardware + the drivers IMHO.

It can be gotten around by simply using another video output driver in your media player, but depending on the hardware may skip alot and the sound may studder.

Beans

Artemis 3, as I mentioned I can play Tremulous, Tuxracer, and OpenArena quite well using i810 drivers. Also changing the drivers to intel had made no gains for me.
    What I wanted is to play some games with wine, which I was able to do on my old ATI RAdeon 9200. And yes those games run better on my hardware(ofcourse in Windows though).
    Hikaricore, you are true in fact and this vidoe problem with compositing have been around for users of AIGLX in ATI cards and Intel IGP. This can be worked around by using X11 drivers, and I have never seen any sort of slowdown, even in HD content, by using X11 drivers.

I think the main problem here is the attitute of the community(wine, ubuntu, gaming) towards integrated graphics and they would rather say that your hardware sucks than to offer a solution(which most probably would be to buy a Nvidia card).

Artmis3 has correctly pointed out that there is a vidoe playback bug, and I personally garuntee you that it will not be fixed in Gutsy(it has not been done in Alpha 3 atleast), as most Nvidia and ATI users can simply switch to XGL, and who cares about IGP guys?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mysticmatrix View Post
    I think the main problem here is the attitute of the community(wine, ubuntu, gaming) towards integrated graphics and they would rather say that your hardware sucks than to offer a solution(which most probably would be to buy a Nvidia card).

and who cares about IGP guys?
    The biggest problem here is that thousands of computers are still being created and released with integrated chipsets that Intel no longer maintains drivers for on the Linux side of things.
    They stopped development on them if I'm not mistaken 2 years ago or more. And these systems are still being sold. Community volunteers picked up the project, but there's only so much you can do with badly made drivers.

User X comes along and decides to use to use Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) with his integrated Intel video chipset that "Works just fine in wind0ze XP you [insert obsenity or Linux bashing here]" and this happens atleast 2 dozen times per month just in the gaming section alone. This leads to similar people asking the same questions, then getting frustrated with Linux/Ubuntu because their beloved Intel chipset just isn't working like it always has. Insert a few more rants and you get a general dislike of the subject in the community. I care about the integrated folks, and I know a good quarter of IGP users are able to use their system/play games just fine, but those aren't the users we hear about on a daily basis, we hear about user X and about how stupid we all are for using Lunix.

I hope I've made a valid point.

Beans

Hikaricore, point accepted. Also I would emphasise on point that I would remain on Ubuntu and Linux come what may happen. My computer is a custom build and cheap PC (under 820$). I know I can't expect much from it. As for my chipset, it was released just last August.
    As for me, this chipset is no beloved for me( I can do lot of intel bashing on their driver support if you ask for), but if you say;
    They stopped development on them if I'm not mistaken 2 years ago or more. And these systems are still being sold. Community volunteers picked up the project, but there's only so much you can do with badly made drivers
    ; then intel should be penalised for wrong information to public.
    This is from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Linux)
    Intel has had a long history of producing or commissioning open source drivers for its graphics chips, with all chipsets dating back to the i810 having open 2D and 3D drivers for Linux. It is the only major graphics hardware vendor to do so: for an analysis by company see Graphics hardware and FOSS.
    In August 2006, Intel added support to the open-source X.Org/XFree86 drivers for the latest 965 series that include the GMA (X)3000 core.[18] These drivers were developed for Intel by Tungsten Graphics.
    I also believe my drivers are fine(and also not upto the mark), come on I' m able to play Tremulous, Nexuiz, etc at medium setting. What I'm hurt is to get responses like to 'buy a Nvidia card'. If no one has any answer, don't post anything. I would rather happy to know that anyone can't answer than to suggest that no one will do anything except to suggest to 'buy a Nvidia card'.

EDIT: I would also suggest to add a sticky suggesting state of driver support of Intel GMA on Linux so that users can understand the amount of performance they can expect out of their hardware.

EDIT: Amazing that I found this on www.intellinuxgraphics.org.
    "Intel's commitment to providing high-quality drivers
    that meet the needs of the mobile Linux community
    is second to none."
    Matthew Garrett, Ubuntu Mobile Linux Engineer
    . That is seriously dumb. The drivers are not atleast of High Quality, either on Linux, Mac or Windows.
    Last edited by mysticmatrix; August 11th, 2007 at 01:51 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast