Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't play any game on Intel X3000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't play any game on Intel X3000

Coghad is indeed spreading FUD. It might be true that Intel drivers are not the best out there, but they are, at least, of comparable quality to their windows counterpart. The same cannot be said of ATI's fglrx driver or even their r200 free driver. The latter doesn't have TV-out (well, until last week, that is), due to ATI's love to NDA's and crappy drivers. What the heck, even nVidia can't say their 8000 series cards work in Linux as well as windows. They crash a lot and run certainly slower than in windows, so they are getting closer to ATI in that respect.

One final point. If you buy a system today and put linux into it, the only GPU that will have 3D enabled by default with most features working is indeed an Intel CPU. It might not be the fastest but you know what? It works.

As a sidenote, the OP's issue is probably a wine bug.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Andrén View Post
    Cogadh, you're full of it. Stop spreading FUD!

Intel is currently the only hardware vendor that actively supports their open-source driver.
    Check out this site for proof: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/
    Some 3d-elements of the device driver is outsourced to tungsten graphics but it's still Intel that pays the bill.
    cogadh is totaly right intel stopped making them and on the intel site it directs you to the open source linux drivers like you pointed out but just because intel has a link to another site doesnt mean they support the driver they left it up to tungston graphics to make the drivers and there is a real flaw in the intel chipset driver. if you would look at the specs of the x3000 here you can see how the card in theory should have to power to run games but due to the slow vertex shaders it is unable to run them reliably eaven in windows so it is most likely a combination of bad drivers and just not being built for gaming.

intel has recognized the problem with gaming on the chipset and are trying to improve the performance by making better driver for windows unfortunetly no one that i know of is making drivers to counter this problem for the linux users

i also run the x3000 graphics and like what the guy said, he can run native game but not verry good i could hardly play enemy territory on low settings an that game is pretty old
    but what i believe is the weirdest thing of all is that i can run beryl really good, without shutter and still get pretty good frame rates and looks really smooth

check out wikipedia it explains why games arent to good here
    Last edited by jacob01; August 19th, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive
    evga Geforce 8600 ssc 256mb over clocked

Beans
    Distro

From that very wikipedia article:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Linux

Intel has had a long history of producing or commissioning open source drivers for its graphics chips, with all chipsets dating back to the i810 having open 2D and 3D drivers for Linux. It is the only major graphics hardware vendor to do so: for an analysis by company see Graphics hardware and FOSS.

In August 2006, Intel added support to the open-source X.Org/XFree86 drivers for the latest 965 series that include the GMA (X)3000 core.[19] These drivers were developed for Intel by Tungsten Graphics.[20]

In May 2007, version 2.0 of the driver (xorg-video-intel) was released, which added support for the 965GM chipset. In addition, the 2.0 driver added native video mode programming support for all chipsets from i830 forward. This version added support for automatic video mode detection and selection, monitor hot plug, dynamic extended and merged desktops and per-monitor screen rotation. These features are built in to the X.Org 7.3 X server release and will eventually be supported across most of the open source X.Org video drivers.[21] Version 2.1, released in July 2007, added support for the G33, Q33 and Q35 chipsets.[22]

As is common for X.Org drivers on Linux, the license is a combination of GPL (for the Linux kernel parts) and MIT (for all other parts).[23]
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

intel may support the people who make the drivers but they still leave it up to some one else to make the driver
    you cant call up intel and ask for linux assistance they would direct you some where else the only linux support from intel is a director to the linux intel linux graphics web site

and from the quote you pulled from the wikipedia site

"In August 2006, Intel added support to the open-source X.Org/XFree86 drivers for the latest 965 series that include the GMA (X)3000 core.[19] These drivers were developed for Intel by Tungsten Graphics.[20]"

is handing something off to some one else really support?
    well i guess they supported the chipset by getting some one else to make it for them

if anything tungston graphics added support for the chipset not intel

yea they handed it of to tungston graphics so i dont see what your point is
    Last edited by jacob01; August 19th, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive

Beans
    Distro

Hello, did you even read the Wiki article you posted? The drivers were made by Tungsten Graphics, not Intel. Tungsten is a company that produces and supports open source drivers and applications. They are major contributors to DRI, Mesa, Blockbuster, Chromium and the Radeon OpenGL drivers. Company founder Brian Paul is actually the guy who created Mesa. The only thing Intel did was co-fund the initial driver project, they didn't actually do any of the development themselves. Hell, the intellinuxgraphics.org site isn't even an Intel-owned domain.

The next time someone accuses me of spreading FUD, they really should check their facts first. I did before I posted.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

yea you are right in that intel pay x amount of money to get another guy (Tungston Graphics) to support their chipset

but is that really support?
    Last edited by jacob01; August 19th, 2007 at 11:45 PM.
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive

Beans
    Distro

It is more support than I will ever get from ATi for my card (an old one, a Mobility Radeon 9600 pro turbo).

However, if you consider Intel's position negative, I suppose you actually don't think that governments pave roads, do you? I mean, they contract third party companies to build it for them. Or turkish F-16's are turkish and not IP of Lockheed Martin.

It is probably true that Intel's support is not as good as it could, but calling them on their linux support and then recommending a *new* nVidia card, whose 8000 series support is nearly ATI-like is funny to say the least. Of course, you could recommend an ATI card that runs half as fast as in windows (if it works, no hypermemory and no HD2000 in linux yet).

If Intel pays the development of their linux driver and provides Tungsten Graphics with the specs under no NDA, then they are at least a B citizen for me. Heck, it is possible that the TG folks are actually better at writing drivers than intel.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    It is more support than I will ever get from ATi for my card (an old one, a Mobility Radeon 9600 pro turbo).

However, if you consider Intel's position negative, I suppose you actually don't think that governments pave roads, do you? I mean, they contract third party companies to build it for them. Or turkish F-16's are turkish and not IP of Lockheed Martin.

It is probably true that Intel's support is not as good as it could, but calling them on their linux support and then recommending a *new* nVidia card, whose 8000 series support is nearly ATI-like is funny to say the least. Of course, you could recommend an ATI card that runs half as fast as in windows (if it works, no hypermemory and no HD2000 in linux yet).

If Intel pays the development of their linux driver and provides Tungsten Graphics with the specs under no NDA, then they are at least a B citizen for me. Heck, it is possible that the TG folks are actually better at writing drivers
    than intel.
    yea i doubt that ati will produce a new driver for your 4 or so year old card maybe a couple minor bugs. i wouldn't compare the support of a 4 year old gpu that is made by a company who is known for having bad support for its linux drivers to a new gpu that the company is still trying to get the windows drivers straightened out. its ati's fault they have such shity support and drivers

the thing is that the 8800 drivers are just going to improve and you ati drivers are not since it is so old.

if intel was better at writing linux drivers intel most likely wouldn't have gotten TG to do it for them Tg is known more for its open source driver for linux and other operating systems than intel

we are trying to provide help and support not be fair to the gpu companies

wow Lockheed martin lol nice one your funny one they make aircrafts not pave raods lol nice (think a bit next time) maybe you could say hmm... the department of transportation, you know just a suggestion but you know i got a good laugh out of it.

that makes no sense at least Tungston Graphics makes open source driver
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

some guy:
    "It is probably true that Intel's support is not as good as it could, but calling them on their linux support and then recommending a *new* nVidia card, whose 8000 series support is nearly ATI-like is funny to say the least"

wow you think we are stupid

we are not intel nor are we trying to promote a specific company we are here to help each other in in the currently nvidia has better support
    Last edited by jacob01; August 20th, 2007 at 01:34 AM.
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jacob01 View Post
    yea i doubt that ati will produce a new driver for your 4 or so year old card maybe a couple minor bugs. i wouldn't compare the support of a 4 year old gpu that is made by a company who is known for having bad support for its linux drivers to a new gpu that the company is still trying to get the windows drivers straightened out. its ati's fault they have such shity support and drivers
    I don't. Furthermore, the issue doesn't affect only my card. It affects all R300, R400 and R500. In some way, it also affects R600, since these don't even work. When a X1950 XTX isn't able to hit 60 FPS in linux when Windows 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF ultra quality averages 101 FPS... well, something is very wrong.

the thing is that the 8800 drivers are just going to improve and you ati drivers are not since it is so old.
    I hope so for a 300$ hardware piece. I also wouldn't discard ATI drivers improving.

if intel was better at writing linux drivers intel most likely wouldn't have gotten TG to do it for them Tg is known more for its open source driver for linux and other operating systems than intel
    Then it isn't that bad that it's TG that made the drivers.

we are trying to provide help and support not be fair to the gpu companies
    That one is certainly true. Although some fairness is always welcome. In any case, this might still be a wine bug, since his card works OK with native games.

wow Lockheed martin lol nice one your funny one they make aircrafts not pave raods lol nice (think a bit next time) maybe you could say hmm... the department of transportation, you know just a suggestion but you know i got a good laugh out of it.

that makes no sense at least Tungston Graphics makes open source driver
    I think you misunderstood me. I don't know if Lockheed Martin paves roads. I do know that they make aircrafts. What you might not know is that they also license aircraft building. Some examples are Turkey and Korea for the F-16. Heck, in Japan they've got a similar version called Mitsubishi F-2. Furthermore, the four initial viper users in Europe (Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands and Norway) have some kind of license that allows them upgrades and similar things. Would you go as far as saying "those vipers have nothing to do with Lockheed Martin"?

Finally, no, I don't think you are supid. I honestly believe we have different opinions on what support is, especially in the nVidia case. I also honestly believe that nVidia's support can be called support, while AMD's doesn't deserve to. But I'd rather have an open-source driver. The situation with ATI 8500 cards a few years ago would be nice, with some open-source drivers (built from specs) and a proprietary driver that has some more punch.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast