Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Elkhart

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Hello From Elkhart

Hello, I've been using Ubuntu since May 2005, Version 5.04. Didn't have a real good install until Breezy came out. (Resolution issues) It just keeps getting better every release. Already have Gutsy 64bit installed, so far so good I just signed up for the newsletter, and I was wondering if there is anybody else from Northern Indiana here.

As an Introduction; I am 55, a truck driver, Married, Father of Four, Daughter, 26, living in Raleigh NC, Three sons, 20, 17, and 11. My Wife and I homeschooled the three boys, so we have computers in every room. 4 PC's, One Imac, And a Dell Laptop should be joining the collection shortly. All have Ubuntu installed, 2 are dual booted with WinXP. (Teenagers and their games) and I have Vista dual booted in mine. (Confined to a 16GB Partition, so It can't contaminate the rest of my Computer ) They all spend the Majority of their time in Ubuntu.

I hope We can make this Chapter grow quickly.

Beans

Re: Hello From Elkhart

Hello! Welcome aboard!

I myself am from the Fort Wayne area, originally from the Bloomington area. My impression (though I haven't done any sort of real quantifiable analysis) is that we've got a pretty well dispersed population, with people from all over the state.

I myself am tolerant of a Windows XP partition solely for the gaming aspect of it, though today I'm going to be working on giving it a Human/Tango makeover. It's the least I can do to hide the shame

Gladly, I see more and more companies realizing that it's in their interest to design their games from the ground up to be easily portable (not relying on DirectX). Doom 3 and Neverwinter Nights (though not NWN 2) are two very popular mainstream games that run well on Linux. There's also a company, Introversion Games (Uplink, Darwinia, DEFCON), that's commited to porting every game it ever makes to Linux.

The day when the default will be Linux-availability for commercial games is on the horizon.

Beans

Cool Re: Hello From Elkhart

Well I'm from Evansville ('toe of the boot') but I've always loved the Elkart area...not so much for the culture, tourism or anything...but instead the trailer factories.

I've spent a huge part of my life on the road, seen 46 states before I was 15, and as soon as I'm no longer a caregiver, I want to get back out there. RVs are something we used to have...but now I'm making my own. ('cause I hate plastic doorknobs and cardboard-with-contact paper...). It's at http://CounterMoon.org. It's using Dapper on a fanless Celeron for the onboard computer.

(And yeah, my gallery's gotten into a little disarray; sorry)

What I'd love best, I'd imagine, is the chance to use Ubuntu in the trailer-making business, in Elkart. Any chance of that, do ya suppose?

--WheelDweller

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Howdy cjm5229, nice to meet you.

I'm originally from North-central IN myself, but I've lived in Bloomington since '94.

Nice to see some truckers on here! I'm a professional geek myself, but most of my family (my mom, my dad, both grandfathers, one grandmother, and an uncle) all truck or have trucked in the past. My mom drives a milk truck, and my dad is OTR out of Chicago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Howdy, I'm a new member myself. Live in Goshen, so I'm right next door

I'm a developer, switched to Linux at work last November after a Windows update broke networking for me. Switched my home machines over shortly after that.

I've had a windows partition on my laptop and desktop for close to a year, just in case there's some file or program I forgot about; but I'm fixin' to just wipe them since I haven't needed them this far.

Been spreading the linux love. Got one of the new developers at work to run Ubuntu -- "Best decision I've made", he said. Currently he's running Suse, but recently he stated that it doesn't feel as complete for development work. More difficult to get dev work set up as far as packages and whatnot. And Yast (Suse package manager) is apparently slower than you would believe.

Anyway, hey.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm from the South Bend area. (just a mile or two from the University of Notre Dame campus). Up until just a few months ago I worked in Elkhart, and made the drive back and forth every day. Got a new job here locally in South Bend however...

I've been a lurker here on the forums for a couple years, but just recently decided to switch over from SuSE Linux to Kubuntu. If I would have known then what I do now, I think I probably would have switched over long ago. Apt-Get/Synaptic rocks compared to YaST.

Every time a new version of Ubuntu came out, I'd try the Live CD but always found some hardware that wasn't working so I'd stick with SuSE.

The biggest push for me though was when SuSE and Microsoft got all buddy-buddy. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth. So, here I am now a full-fledged Ubuntu/Kubuntu advocate.

I'm guessing that I'll be much more active in these forums now...

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Wink Re: Hello From Elkhart

Hi, It's nice to meet all of you.
    irish_flu, I drive locally in the Elkhart area now, but I did about thirty years of the OTR thing, I really enjoy being home with my family, also gives me more time to work at my computer. WheelDweller, You are going to have to come up and check out the new "RV/MH Hall of Fame" It's just off the Toll Road at the CR 17 exit (Elkhart East exit). I actually live in Bristol on CR. 19. The other side of the street is Elkhart. I'm about three miles from the RV?MH HOF. Simon.a.ruiz personally I have more games installed in Ubuntu I like to play than I have in Windows, but like I said, I have three boys, and while they do use Ubuntu more than Windows they still have a lot of Windows games. Brink and xyphus, Howdy Neighbors! I have also tried SUSE, loved every thing about it except YAST. gained twenty lbs. going and getting something to eat while I waited for yast to update everytime I tried to install an app., and again after it finished. I tried Fedora Core also, never could get it to install on my computer. Mandriva wasn't bad, but I was dual booting with Ubuntu and sharing my /home partition. Mandriva didn't like to share so I took it out. No manners what so ever. I've tried several other Distros also, but Ubuntu is definitely "The Best" as far as I'm concerned. Well, except maybe, the Flight Gear Live CD. but then that is only a game.
    One other thing I've lived in Northern Indiana for twenty years, but I was born and raised in northern Wisconsin. A little town named Argonne, smack dab in the middle of the Nicolet National Forest. 125 miles north of Green Bay, (Go Packers!) I really love it here in the subtropics. Still talk funny sometimes though, I do.
    See you in the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello. I'm also a new member and Ubuntu user. I'm 57 and have been using computers since I first bought a Radio Shack Model 1 back in the 70's. I bought an IBM PC as soon as they came out, and have been addicted ever since. I loved DOS, so I'm not afraid of the command line, so I'll just have to learn all the new Linux commands and syntax. I have become increasingly dissatisfied with Windows and especially M$ over the years and have played around with a few distros (Suse, RedHat, Xandros) over the last five or six years. Last night I installed Ubuntu on a new XP Pro system I have built and will using for work. I am also in the trucking industry, running two of my own trucks and three owner operators hauling flatbed freight in the Great Lakes region. At this point I will have to use the dual boot feature since I have two applications I use full time, Quick Books Pro 7 and PC Miler, that aren't available in Linux versions. Actually PC Miler is available, but only in a 5 user version for $3500. ALK Software won't sell PC Miler in a single user version.

cjm5229, we are practically neighbors, I live on CR 23 a mile south of US 20, only 3 miles or so from you. Small world, eh?

I have been looking for some local people that I might be able to turn to for help if I need it, and hopefully I will be able to get it here.

Well it's late and the eyes are trying to slam shut on me, so I'll check back later.

Clear skies.

Dennis

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Dennis, Tell Pete and Albert I said Hi, I'm Carl, Pete's Brother-in-law. I used to to haul for you with Mike Wogoman. If you need any help with Ubuntu just let me know. It is a small world!

Beans

Hahah! It definitely is a small world.

Welcome to the team, everybody!

And—definitely—if you have any questions, drop them here or/and on the mailing list. We're all here to help each other out!

Simón

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast