Thread: wine update + WoW

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

wine update + WoW

So recently I have updated Wine, and now when i run World of Warcraft, and alt tab to switch to a different window, it switches resolution twice, and then WoW no longer has sound, untill i restart it.

here is the output. Maybe yall can make some sense of it.

Code:
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33daa4,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglQueryPbufferARB unsupported WGL_PBUFFER_LOST_ARB (need glXSelectEvent/GLX_DAMAGED work)
    fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglQueryPbufferARB unsupported WGL_PBUFFER_LOST_ARB (need glXSelectEvent/GLX_DAMAGED work)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33daa4,0x00000000), stub!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: wine update + WoW

Those are all developer debug messages (they aren't really errors) and none of them have anything to do with sound. I think the problem is the ALT-TAB, you shouldn't do that when playing games through Wine, they don't deal with it well.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Solution to this problem would be pretty much the following:

1. Run WoW in windowed mode.
    2. Set WoW to be maximized in windowed mode.

Saves all those pesky resolution changes that are causing you grief.

To this day I believe the only way to change display setting is WoW is in D3D mode or manually in the config.wtf file.

Beans

Yes i have had the same problem... But since there was an nvidia driver update i wasnt sure which was to blame.

I run dual monitor setup - with wow in native res - same as desktop...

i used to be able to mouse out to the other desktop and surf web etc etc without anything happening - since the updates of wine and nvidia it changes res twice and kills sound...

Beans

btw - to roll back the wine version...

do u just uninstall via dpkg then re-install the old one (i seem to remember the update cache is in something like /var/apt/cache? and there has been at least 2 updates of wine in the last few weeks so it should be there) or is there a GUI for this that i havent seen yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just uninstall either through Synaptic or "sudo apt-get remove wine" in the terminal. Then download and install an older package from the Wine repositories:
    http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

If you look into the wine appdb entry for WoW, you'll see that the bug has already been created in the wine bugzilla: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9087. You'll also see some people suggest other workarounds than the 'windowed mode' suggestion.

Beans

Thanx guys.

To be honest i will still roll back to the previous version though - cause as well as sound stopping the machine becomes unresponsive for a sec whenever i mouse out to the other x-session...

This never used to happen - i love the seamless integration of the 2 sessions running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There is a quick and easy fix for the sound issue:
    1. Go to WoW sound options.
    2. Check the box in the lower left that says "Enable Sound in Background".
    3. You may have to restart WoW.

Now you can alt+tab and you won't loose your sound.