Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games for a little girl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Games for a little girl

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    Look, you guys do not have to seel me on this, *my* daughter already only wants to use linux. The problem is, as Seth Nichol, a gnome useability expert puts it: "Nothing is more friendly than what you are used to" and my niece is used to those boxed games. She is the one I am doing this for.
    I think that a gift should be useful to the person you are giving it, and I don't think Linux would be helpfull for your niece, she won't understand what you are trying to do, and won't appreciate the present, you should give her a WinXP box, if you want her to convert to Linux, you should install all the Linux games that have windows installers, and see how she goes from there, in the future you might be able to change the OS.
    Free your mind...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sonny
    I think that a gift should be useful to the person you are giving it, and I don't think Linux would be helpfull for your niece, she won't understand what you are trying to do, and won't appreciate the present, you should give her a WinXP box, if you want her to convert to Linux, you should install all the Linux games that have windows installers, and see how she goes from there, in the future you might be able to change the OS.
    I don't think I fully agree here. Like azz said, she _would_ get used to her boxed games and it would be hell for someone trying to make her completely leave those (just like his daughter can't stand a win98 login prompt). I think she could appreciate the Linux box present if it came in a nice presentable manner, wich is what azz is trying to do here .

Edit: Plus, the Windows XP you recommend is ridiculously expensive.
    Last edited by bored2k; July 26th, 2005 at 05:03 PM.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    I don't think I fully agree here. Like azz said, she _would_ get used to her boxed games and it would be hell for someone trying to make her completely leave those (just like his daughter can't stand a win98 login prompt). I think she could appreciate the Linux box present if it came in a nice presentable manner, wich is what azz is trying to do here .

Edit: Plus, the Windows XP you recommend is ridiculously expensive.
    My point is that an extreme change would only make the girl unconfortable with Linux, but if he starts by changin little aspects of the Child's pc then he might be able to change her without any complaint from the girl.
    Free your mind...

Beans

For the love of GOD DON'T SUGGEST THAT! Seriously, the Ubuntu forums goal is to get people _AWAY_ from the propreitary desktop, not bring them closer to the man and give the man money! *sigh*

Anyways, if I know Azz, and to a certain point I do, and to a certain point, we have never really met. I don't think he would setup a WinXP box.

Anyways, Azz I have some little sisters, they have some games you have described, I will snag those games and try them out in Cedega and get back to you on how it went. I hope you can wait a week or so, thats the next time I will be going to my parents town. Is that ok?

p.s. you daughter is cute, I have never cried at windows before, though it does invoke emotion in a negative way.
    Last edited by jdodson; July 26th, 2005 at 06:11 PM.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    For the love of GOD DON'T SUGGEST THAT! Seriously, the Ubuntu forums goal is to get people _AWAY_ from the propreitary desktop, not bring them closer to the man and give the man money! *sigh*

Anyways, if I know Azz, and to a certain point I do, and to a certain point, we have never really met. I don't think he would setup a WinXP box.

Anyways, Azz I have some little sisters, they have some games you have described, I will snag those games and try them out in Cedega and get back to you on how it went. I hope you can wait a week or so, thats the next time I will be going to my parents town. Is that ok?

p.s. you daughter is cute, I have never cried at windows before, though it does invoke emotion in a negative way.
    I don't think the girl will understand what Azz is doing for her, she just wants her games, she doesn't understand about patents, or open source, not even would know that Bill Gtaes is an evil man, she just wants to play all the cereal games she can.

Good luck with CEDEGA, I really mean it.
    Free your mind...

Beans

Why all this talk of Cedega? It's only useful for DirectX games. I suggest Crossover Office, as it supports many apps better than vanilla Wine. It's $40, which isn't ridiculous and you can get a 30-day trial to ensure compatibility before you buy it.

I know some of my son's games are Shockwave and Crossover supports the Shockwave plugin, so that sounds like a real possible solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by shakin
    Why all this talk of Cedega? It's only useful for DirectX games. I suggest Crossover Office, as it supports many apps better than vanilla Wine. It's $40, which isn't ridiculous and you can get a 30-day trial to ensure compatibility before you buy it.

I know some of my son's games are Shockwave and Crossover supports the Shockwave plugin, so that sounds like a real possible solution.
    You can be right about that... I think CrossOver is more efficient for little apps or stuff like that... and you are right about the shockwave, hopefully those games are shockwave base... are they Azz?
    Free your mind...

Beans
    Hidden!

You can be right about that... I think CrossOver is more efficient for little apps or stuff like that... and you are right about the shockwave, hopefully those games are shockwave base... are they Azz?
    I thought that crossover was really about MS Word. You are right about Shockwave. Many of those sites are flash, but a few of them use shockwave.... Although fewer sites are developed with it, I think. I was happy to think they were putting more effort into a truly cross-platform technology.

How good is the crossover plugin for shockwave, then? We are talking about a pretty slow computer.

Is there a lot of performance degradation?

I know wine and winetools support the installers pretty well, Is it even better with crossover?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    I thought that crossover was really about MS Word. You are right about Shockwave. Many of those sites are flash, but a few of them use shockwave.... Although fewer sites are developed with it, I think. I was happy to think they were putting more effort into a truly cross-platform technology.

How good is the crossover plugin for shockwave, then? We are talking about a pretty slow computer.

Is there a lot of performance degradation?

I know wine and winetools support the installers pretty well, Is it even better with crossover?
    The Shockwave plugin works on my son's P2 400, although I didn't test extensively. One of the main applications of Shockwave is for 3D games (I think a Dora game on the nickjr.com site is one of these) so 3D video drivers will help a lot. Performance isn't an issue otherwise because these are usually simple vector graphics.

Crossover definitely supports installers better than wine and winetools. I use Crossover instead of Wine for most things because of this.

Beans

azz can you use http://www.transgaming.com/ run windows games on linux

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast