Thread: Tremulous Screenshots turn out dark

Beans
    Hidden!

Tremulous Screenshots turn out dark

I have run '/bind F2 screenshotjpeg' in the tremulous console to take screenshots by pushing F2. When I press F2, a screenshot is taken in ~/.tremulous/base/screenshots, HOWEVER, these screenshots are quite dim. I have tried restoring them with GIMP but it ruins the quality of the image... In order to play Tremulous, I have to turn up the brightness all the way or the maps are just too dark. The screenshots look like I have the brightness turned all the way down (screenshot below). Is anyone else running into this problem?

Last edited by fatsheep; August 5th, 2007 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Tremulous Screenshots turn out dark

Well I know there are Tremulous players here. If you play Tremulous, please do me a little favor and take a few screenshots and then go to ~/.tremulous/base/screenshots and see if they turned out dark like mine or not.

By the way, in order to take screenshots in tremulous hit the ` key (right above the tab key) to open the console (or possibly Shift + ` which would normally produce the ~ character). Then type '/bind <KEY> screenshotjpeg' without quotes and hit enter. I use F2 for my key.

Thanks,

- fatsheep

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't play Tremulous, but I get the same thing in a few other games as well. It's like the game doesn't take into account its gamma/brightness settings when creating a screenshot.

Unfortunately the only thing I've been able to do is do as you did, brighten them with Gimp. Careful manipulation helps with not ruining the quality, but of course it's not quite the same as what you originally saw. I think it's up to the devs to find a fix.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorSeven View Post
    I don't play Tremulous, but I get the same thing in a few other games as well. It's like the game doesn't take into account its gamma/brightness settings when creating a screenshot.

Unfortunately the only thing I've been able to do is do as you did, brighten them with Gimp. Careful manipulation helps with not ruining the quality, but of course it's not quite the same as what you originally saw. I think it's up to the devs to find a fix.
    Yea, unfortunately this problem is larger than I thought. I rigged a bash script to run the "scrot" command every 10 seconds while I was playing the game. Well, it worked but the screenshots were just as dark which means the problem is most likely not limited to the Tremulous screenshot utility.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You did originally tell us that you turn the brightness all the way up when playing.
    Could this by any chance be a brightness/contrast issue on your monitor?

Post up a few shots that are "too dark" and let a few others give their opinions on the matter.

If they're anything like the one you posted at the top, then I don't see the problem as it looks fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    You did originally tell us that you turn the brightness all the way up when playing.
    Could this by any chance be a brightness/contrast issue on your monitor?

Post up a few shots that are "too dark" and let a few others give their opinions on the matter.

If they're anything like the one you posted at the top, then I don't see the problem as it looks fine.
    Here's another one. I think Tremulous is just a dark game... There's probably nothing wrong. However, this is ALOT darker then it appears ingame.

Beans

please check the ioquake forums about it - there are some changes on the way too. - The problem is turning up the brightness is like turning up the brightness of your monitor, it never has any effect to the color-values of the textures ingame. I did not try the tremulous screenshot feature, but this is what happens in other quake-like games too (quake3, ioquake, enemy-territory, ...) - so the game can only recalc settings, which are changed by itself and have to do the whole recalculation (time-dependant) and even then may be wrong. Next, for your own experience, you should compare same pictures on a flatscreen and on a tubescreen - they will look very different in most times.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by alterpinguin View Post
    please check the ioquake forums about it - there are some changes on the way too. - The problem is turning up the brightness is like turning up the brightness of your monitor, it never has any effect to the color-values of the textures ingame. I did not try the tremulous screenshot feature, but this is what happens in other quake-like games too (quake3, ioquake, enemy-territory, ...) - so the game can only recalc settings, which are changed by itself and have to do the whole recalculation (time-dependant) and even then may be wrong. Next, for your own experience, you should compare same pictures on a flatscreen and on a tubescreen - they will look very different in most times.
    That's good to hear. I will check.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have the same problem. Trem plays very dark on my pc..have to turn the gamma all the way up.