Thread: Nvidia

Beans

Nvidia

ok I know I've asked before...but I need to know again how do I install the Nvidia Driver...step by step. any help will be greatly appreciated

Beans

Re: Nvidia

Quote Originally Posted by storybookhero
    ok I know I've asked before...but I need to know again how do I install the Nvidia Driver...step by step. any help will be greatly appreciated
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings
    installs the one in synaptic then you have to enable it with
    Code:
    nvidia-glx-config enable
    then
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    comment out or remove the lines
    Code:
    Load "dri"
    Load "GLCore"
    save the file and restart the xserver.

Beans

And if your wanting to install the official nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com here's a guide i wrote to do so but you do this at your own risk because i've only tested this on my hardware which is kinda old i know it works on mine but it might not on yours so if it doesn't work don't blame me because i told ya so.

install the nvidia driver from scratch.

Find what kernel is listed when you type
    Code:
    uname -a
    at the terminal for example mine displays
    Code:
    Linux ubuntu 2.6.10-5-k7 #1 Fri Jun 24 18:51:20 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
    what l've listed in red is what to look at so on mine i need the kernel headers for the k7 kernel. the easiest way to install these is using synaptic click on search and type headers it will list all the header packages avaliable so i install the package linux-headers-k7 these are the ones for my kernel. if you have a different kernel for example 2.6.10-5-386 you will need the package linux-headers-386 etc. you also need the build-essential package installed this provides the basic compilers and stuff used to build the kernel modules. if you can't get X running to use synaptic you can also install the kernel headers and build essential package like this.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-386 
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    for this example im using the 2.6.10-5-386 kernel because it's what ubuntu installs by default and the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.

now to install the driver if your already in an x session exit it by hitting
    Code:
    ctrl+alt+F1
    now at the terminal login and type:
    Code:
    sudo -s
    enter you password
    Code:
    telinit 3
    if your using ubuntu
    Code:
    killall gdm
    if your using kubuntu
    Code:
    killall kdm
    cd to where the nvidia package is installed in this example i've placed it in /home/username/
    Code:
    cd /home/username
    now run the installer with
    Code:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run
    after the installer has finished completely you need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    file and tell it to use the nvidia driver with.
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    example: find the line that looks like this
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x]"
            Driver          "vesa"
            BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection
    and replace whatever is listed under the Driver section with "nvidia" save the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and reboot.

Beans

Love the guide on the 7667 driver install. Very useful. I'd like to mention, though, that when I did it, when editing xorg.conf, I removed the line 'Load "dri"', as instructed in the NVIDIA readme. I don't know what difference it makes, but the driver seemd to be working after installing it. ~7500 FPS on a 5200FX, 1.7 GHz cel.

Beans

I don't know. I'm leary of installing anything outside synaptic or apt-get anymore. When I tried this recipe I got segmentation faults so I ended up reinstalling ubuntu...again.

Beans

I'm in the process of buying a 6800GT PCI-e, and I was wondering if there is any kind of special hacks to xorg.conf for pci-express cards. I know for example in AGP there is one called " AGP " mode or something of that sort.

If there is something for pci-express please let me know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grofaz
    I don't know. I'm leary of installing anything outside synaptic or apt-get anymore. When I tried this recipe I got segmentation faults so I ended up reinstalling ubuntu...again.
    I got segmentation faults, but it was after first installing the apt-get nvidia drivers. Installing the 7667 drivers without first installing the apt-get drivers ran without a hitch.