Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KDE 4.0 Beta 1 Available Now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: KDE 4.0 Beta 1 Available Now!

KDE for the win! This might actually switch me over from GNOME, I prefer the ease of use of GNOME (plus it doesnt remind me of Winblows ) But KDE seems to have all the little things i wish GNOME had but it just wasn't my cup of tea, however KDE looks pretty sweet, im going to install it as soon as i the newest episode of diggnation d/l'ed (I'm in Winblows, cuz i needed to patch a couple of games...and just realized there was a new ep, but i was too lazy to wait to reboot and d/l it...)

Anyways enough ranting... Someone remind me, is the Official KDE 4.0 release going to make it into Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon's October release?
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EXCiD3 View Post
    KDE for the win! This might actually switch me over from GNOME, I prefer the ease of use of GNOME (plus it doesnt remind me of Winblows ) But KDE seems to have all the little things i wish GNOME had but it just wasn't my cup of tea, however KDE looks pretty sweet, im going to install it as soon as i the newest episode of diggnation d/l'ed (I'm in Winblows, cuz i needed to patch a couple of games...and just realized there was a new ep, but i was too lazy to wait to reboot and d/l it...)

Anyways enough ranting... Someone remind me, is the Official KDE 4.0 release going to make it into Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon's October release?
    Sure... if KDE development is on schedule.... (hahaha!)

They will probably have to stick with KDE 3.5.Stable because of the standards of stability that Kubuntu has. I can't see them doing what OpenSUSE will do and release with a pre-release version of the code...

You will probably have to wait until 8.04? for KDE4, that is if it is considered stable enough then (I'm 99% sure it will be by then) but on the off chance it's not considered stable you'll have to wait till 8.10? for KDE4.
    Dell Inspiron 6400 - Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 @ 1.73Ghz - 1024mb DDR2 533 - 120GB HDD - 15.4" Widescreen display 1280x800 - Intel GM950 Integrated Graphics
    LinuxMint 3.0 Cassandra
    Current songs in Banshee Library = 1,908.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by tehhaxorr View Post
    standards of stability that Kubuntu has
    rofl

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tehhaxorr View Post
    They will probably have to stick with KDE 3.5.Stable because of the standards of stability that Kubuntu has. I can't see them doing what OpenSUSE will do and release with a pre-release version of the code...
    Kubuntu has been releasing packages for KDE 4 alphas and beta as soon as they are announced. Sure we don't have a Live CD, but those KDE 4 Live CD's aren't from openSUSE. They are Live CD's containing KDE 4 on openSUSE made by a single KDE/openSUSE developer.

[/QUOTE]You will probably have to wait until 8.04? for KDE4, that is if it is considered stable enough then (I'm 99% sure it will be by then) but on the off chance it's not considered stable you'll have to wait till 8.10? for KDE4.[/QUOTE]

No we don't have to wait for 8.04 or 8.10 for KDE 4.0. Kubuntu will be releasing KDE 4.0 packages as soon as possible. There might be separate CD's for it too.

What users will have to wait for is to have KDE 4 by default in Kubuntu.
    7.10 can't have KDE 4.0 because of conflicts in release schedules.
    8.04 can't have KDE 4.0 because it will be an LTS release.
    8.10 will have KDE 4.x by default. BUT like I said, packages will be available as soon as KDE 4.0 is out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

In fact, Jonathan Riddell suggested that they might crank out some KDE4 live cds after the KDE4 release. So that might be something to look forward to.

Beans

Im glad people are exited about it and some features looks nice, but im just not "feeling" KDE, even on this version. I just like gnome's ( and xfce's ) simplicity, I tend to use very minimalistic desktops and I like minimalistic options ( only 1 or 2 ways for each app etc. )

For some reason I feel it would take me a lot more time to get KDE 4.0 the way I like ( minimal, and removing most shorcuts from menus and so ) but maybe im wrong, its been almost 4 years since I last used KDE.

Beans

so, is kde 4 going to fix its problems with firefox and other gtk apps?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Jucato View Post
    What users will have to wait for is to have KDE 4 by default in Kubuntu.
    Default, i.e. supported, i.e. stable.

7.10 can't have KDE 4.0 because of conflicts in release schedules.
    Then the release schedules are broken. It has been suggested before that there should be a delay of 7.10 to, say, 7.12 (which would not be unprecedented), and I think there is a lot of merit in that idea. Better still, that time could be used to get the blasted LTS version out of the way with simultaneous releases:
    7.12 KDE 3.5.x LTS
    7.13 KDE 4

Then 8.04 could be used for real development purposes, rather than pseudo-commercial LTS stuff.
    Alarm clock:
    sleep 8h; killall xmms; sleep 1s; cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bionnaki View Post
    so, is kde 4 going to fix its problems with firefox and other gtk apps?
    Which ones?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jamaisvu View Post
    Default, i.e. supported, i.e. stable.
    Not really. We could have included KDE 4.0 in Gutsy if it weren't for the release schedule. But definitely not for 8.04 LTS.

Then the release schedules are broken.
    Nothing's broken. Ubuntu's release schedule has never been synced with KDE's but with GNOME's 6-month schedule.

It has been suggested before that there should be a delay of 7.10 to, say, 7.12 (which would not be unprecedented),
    The only reason there was a delay in Dapper was due to the first ever LTS release. I'm not sure they're willing to make a repeat of that for every LTS release. Also, all official *buntus release at the same time. We can't delay a release just to wait for KDE 4.0, also considering the possibility of delays in KDE 4.0's release as well.

Then 8.04 could be used for real development purposes, rather than pseudo-commercial LTS stuff.
    pseudo-commercial? Dunno what you're talking about.

Anyway, I don't understand why there is such a big deal that Kubuntu won't have KDE 4.0 by default until 8.10. Like what has been said, Kubuntu will be providing packages for it as soon as possible, which is usually just hours or days after the official KDE announcement has been made. Any package coming from kubuntu.org repositories are supported by Kubuntu. And once released to the public.

And if you are concerned about absolute stability, then you might consider waiting until KDE 4.1. KDE developers have already given disclaimers that, since KDE 4.0 is an almost completely new version, there might be bumps along the road, as well as some features that couldn't make it to the 4.0 release (but will be there in successive releases, for the whole KDE 4 lifecycle).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123