Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Introduce yourself

Welcome to the LoCo you guys. We're up to 14 and apparently gaining quite a bit of an interest. Don't forget we have a meeting tomorrow night at 8:30pm.

Information on the upcoming meeting agenda can always be found at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MissouriTeam/Meetings

Also, don't forget to add your information to the team list. I've added the preliminary stub, but you may want to populate the extra information.

Once again, welcome to the Team!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Ssshh I work in Saint Louis, but live in Illinois..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Living in a multistate metropolis, it's hard not to be a part of one over the other. I would encourage you to look into the LoCo in Illinois, but considering the circumstances, you are more then welcome to join in. I'm in a similar area myself with Kansas not more than 5 miles from my work and home.

Eventually, I would like to see a Kansas City LoCo... but I want to make sure the state LoCo is self sufficient first and foremost. Perhaps this would be a similar option for you to help build up the states around you and then work with building a City LoCo.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Bleh.. Chicago, no thanks I'm a Cardinals fan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

hey all,

software engineer from lees summit here.

Just started using ubuntu ff server just a few months ago, converted from years of gentoo use.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Introduce yourself ( All about me)

Hi Everyone,
    I am new in this forum and this is my first writing . I read some of your writings and honestly speaking I feel very glad to be a part of this .I am a person who like to meet people ,to know different cultures , different regions and different countries.Travelling is my passion .I want to explore the natural beauty of the whole world .I believe that the whole world is my home. This is all about me .

I will get a lot of friends by the help of this forum ............

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hey everbody, my name is Eric. I'm in St. Charles, MO. I currently do all Windows .NET programming (using C#). My knowledge of linux is very limited at the current time, but is growing every day. I would like to eventually get to doing some work with MonoDevelop. Also maybe some work with Python. Anyway, I've got web experience with php, asp, and asp.net.

I work with Rob (iver2435) at the same company. Its actually a used computer store (Executive Personal Computers). I'll now proceed to give a shameless plug for them. Check out our site online: http://www.epcusa.com

We really do have some good deals on used equipment. We have warehouse sales every once in a while when we have some guys up here doing an install-fest. I haven't been part of them before, but I know they have happened.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being part of the team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb Re: Introduce yourself

My name is Brian Wahoff, and I am eric_juden and iver2435 manager at EPC (St. Charles) where I serve as VP / CTO.

I have done some open source development previously for XOOPS.org. I have been a linux user off and on for the last 7 years, but Dapper was the first linux distro I was comfortable making my primary OS.

EPC is primarily a Windows shop, though we look for ways to use / market open source solutions. Eric mentioned the website, which is a mess currently. We are almost ready to deploy our new website which is developed in Django.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hello, My name is Richard Belken, I'm 17, and I live in Central Missouri. Really, in my area, I don't think that many people use Ubuntu... even mac for that matter. My friend does, though, but only because I gave him one of my old computers with Xubuntu on it... he actually does like it though, as the old junker I gave to him and his brothers is alot faster then their families XP computer up stairs... and thats pretty pathetic.

I would love to pass out Ubuntu CD's at my school.... but I have no clue what the outcome would be.... because I'm one of the few people there who's actually interested in computers...

As for my vo-tech class in Jefferson City, sure I will, as its a computer class, and they seem interested in technology enough. However, I'm probably gonna wait until Gutsy Gibbon comes out.

Anyways, I'm in my senior year, and when I graduate, I want to go to Linn Tech to learn computer programming.

Back last September, I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I liked computers, but programming looked pointless because I had no motivation towards programming, as windows had so many programs with people supporting them, and I had no interest in Linux, as my experience with red hat 8 was bad enough.... before the computer that was running it just crashed about 2 years earlier.

But all of a sudden, this friend of mine (not the one I mentioned above), all of a sudden picked up an interest in MSN messenger. Since he had no internet, he constantly used to come over to my house to use my computer.... and I couldn't really trust him with my computer, because hes gullible enough to click ANYTHING his friends send him, and when I got on to him about how I don't want my computer destroyed, he ignorantly told me that I was taking this too seriously, and that it wasn't a big deal if I got a virus on my computer.

I thought my problems would be solved when I got a 6 year old low profile computer. But they werent, because the thing took about 15 minutes to boot up, it was very sluggish, and it crashed all the time. He used it for a while, but eventually he started asking me if we could switch computers, which defeated the purpose of having that miniature computer. I was getting really desperate, because doing a spyware/virus check didn't help, and I wanted him off my computer in fear that he would mess it up, so I thought about giving linux a second try, even though I couldn't figure out how you were supposed to install anything... except by advanced terminal commands that I wasn't familiar with. Before I had stayed away from Linux, because I remember being on my copy of red hat for hours just trying to figure out how you were supposed to set up stuff. Before the computer it was on died on me, I only managed to install flash, real player, and yahoo messenger.

But even though red hat 8 was not a good experience for me, I was desperate enough to try it again, because I remember how Red hat sped up the old computer I installed it on. When I went to their website, I found out about the Fedora project. I originally intended to install Fedora on that computer, but the next day, while I was looking for tech articles for my article review assignment, I stumbled on a CNN article that said: "Former space tourist takes on Microsoft". It was about Ubuntu's goals, and what open source was. Back then I thought Open Source was just a term for Linux programming. I became really interested in Ubuntu, and during the weekend I installed Xubuntu on that computer. I was very impressed, because it turned the computer from piece of junk to something actually usable. Now it only took about 3-5 minutes to load, opposed to 15 when it was running windows 2000 pro. It was also much faster, and even though it still occasionally crashed, it still didn't crash anywhere as much, and it even competed against my main computer in loading time, so I was very impressed. About a month later, my main computer decided to mess up. Since I didn't have a reinstall disc, I just decided to get rid of windows and use ubuntu, because unlike redhat 8, ubuntu actually had synaptic, which put most of my installing needs to an end, not to mention it was easier to use.

Although my friend still asked to switch, because flash player occasionally lost sound, but he didn't ask near as much, and at about that time, he stopped coming over to my house.

Ever since then, Ive wanted to learn programming so I can help Linux in some way... I just haven't found it yet, but I'm sure I will eventually.

I hope I'll enjoy my time here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wait a min. EPCUSA ???

I remember a guy who used to work there.. Mike Wilkerson i believe? He still there or did he move on to new things ? I know Mike through STARFLEET (yes, I'm a geek), and although neither one of us are members, we know eachother a bit.

Just wanting to see if this is the same company

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast