Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the North Carolina LoCo forum!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Welcome to the North Carolina LoCo forum!

Hello all!

Yet another Jacksonville resident checking in. I have been very interested in Linux since Mandrake 7. I didn't get a lot of experience until Hoary came along. Since then I have been Windows free with the occasional video conference on Skype and now my iPhone has me shackled back to MS. Thank God for Virtual box.

I am trying to break myself into the IT field. I am currently on the certification road (no comments please) and hope to use the tools available in Linux to provide me with the knowledge possible to excel in the securities field. I would really like to further my knowledge of Linux and even help developers if needed.

Hope to see you guys around!

Beans

Hello from SV Drakus in Oriental NC.

SV means Sailing Vessel. Yep, this web connection is coming from aboard our sailboat/home.

Let me take this opportunity to spread my plea for help in the Gutsy Gibbon upgrade process. I've so far turned my AMD64 HP laptop into a brick. The upgrade was as per the notice contained within Synaptic Package Manager. It took a real long time to get the upgrade downloaded. I activated the upgrade process and watched as many dependice conflicts and failures to install were passing by. At one point I took the chance to see what was "different" between the current file and the proposed file. When I did that the install process went to a command line screen and that was all she wrote. Brick. I tried to restart from some of the other kernels that would show upon start up but always ended at the same place: a light blue screen with no forms or text, just a cursor that I could move.

As I write this it is coming off of the HP that I was able to boot with a Gutsy .iso > CD which I downloaded & burned on our other Feisty equipped laptop. When I try to find what happened to my hda using Krusader and Krusader's MountMan, there is no showing of a hda or an hdb (there are two hd's in this laptop.

I'd like to get my email,browser and boat stuff recovered. When I go into the install process on this Gutsy boot disk, it looks like it is going to reformat the drive. I sure don't want to do that again. It happened when I went from Drapper to Edgy.

Would be grateful if a wise Ubuntu wizard can help me secure the files.

Other than this catastrophe, it's real nice weather in Oriental this week!

Thanks, Doug
    Aboard SV Drakus

Beans

Hi, My name is kotter from Mint Hill near Charlotte NC. Good to see a some people from this area.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kotter View Post
    Hi, My name is kotter from Mint Hill near Charlotte NC. Good to see a some people from this area.
    Hey kotter, I used to have a retail store in Mint Hill. I closed it last year.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by dsiddens View Post
    Hello from SV Drakus in Oriental NC.

Let me take this opportunity to spread my plea for help in the Gutsy Gibbon upgrade process. I've so far turned my AMD64 HP laptop into a brick.
    I'd like to get my email,browser and boat stuff recovered. When I go into the install process on this Gutsy boot disk, it looks like it is going to reformat the drive. I sure don't want to do that again. It happened when I went from Drapper to Edgy.

Thanks, Doug
    Well, I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I've had great luck in the past recovering files using the "Trinity Resue Kit"... Its a 50mb bootable iso download that can find lost disks, and allow you to copy files and such over a network to another system. Read the docs, as it s not terribly user friendly, but the tools provided have saved me a couple times.

URL: http://trinityhome.org/trk/
    [Seems to be down at the moment]

Found latest release here though:
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04467

God luck, and clam waters.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello all,
    I'm in Huntersville, NC. Been using Ubuntu off and on for the past couple of years. Now with the ability to use VMs for any M$ related tasks, I hope to never go back, except for at work that is . Good to see others in NC are excited about Ubuntu. Have fun!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dropsonde View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm in Huntersville, NC. Been using Ubuntu off and on for the past couple of years. Now with the ability to use VMs for any M$ related tasks, I hope to never go back, except for at work that is . Good to see others in NC are excited about Ubuntu. Have fun!!
    Welcome!

There are several of us in the Charlotte area. Hang around a bit and we will try to put together a local meetup.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hey everybody.

I'm usually in Mooresville, but sometimes I'm in the Triangle area. I've been using Ubuntu since 2005.

Josh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm glad to see North Carolina finally on the LoCo board. I'm from Asheville and have been in and out here since the 5.10 release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MrChips View Post
    I'm glad to see North Carolina finally on the LoCo board. I'm from Asheville and have been in and out here since the 5.10 release.
    Welcome MrChips,

I've kin in the Asheville area (brother and father) and usually get up there a couple of times a year.

<blatant plug>
    My brother, Jeff, is a trustworthy electrical contractor in the Asheville area..
    </blatant plug>

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast