Thread: Nautilus sidebar and Debian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nautilus sidebar and Debian

I've been running Ubuntu (Feisty) and Debian (Lenny) now for a couple of years and I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with. In Ubuntu I can mount any of my partitions by double-clicking the icon in the nautilus sidebar and entering my password. In Debian, however, the partitions are shown but if I try to mount one from the sidebar I just get an error message:

Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolic y

I can mount any partition in the usual way, but I've found that if there's an fstab entry for it the partition shows up twice in the sidebar, and yet no fstab entries seem to be necessary in feisty.

Does anyone know how I can add the ability to mount partitions from the sidebar to debian?

Beans

Re: Nautilus sidebar and Debian

well from what i see in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi ,it's not setup by default, everything is commented out. so i'm guessing you would have to set it up. try checking what fiesty has in there. sorry can't be of more help, i use debian+icewm+rox and ivman for mounting.

Beans
    Distro

Both xml files are identical to each other so I'm guessing it's not that?

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<!-- 
      Some examples how to use hal fdi files for system preferences 
      You can either uncomment the examples here or put them in a seperate .fdi
      file.
    -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <!-- 
      The following shows how to hint gnome-volume-manager and other programs 
      that honor the storage.automount_enabled_hint to not mount non-removable
      media.
    -->
    <!--
      <device>
        <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
          <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
            <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    -->

<!-- 
      The following shows how to put sync and noatime on for devices smaller then
      1Gb and off for device larger then that. Note that the sync option can wear
      out device faster then you'd like too. See
      http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/22/111748.html for
      more info.
    --> 
    <!--
      <device> 
        <match key="block.is_volume" bool="true">
          <match key="volume.size" compare_lt="1000000000">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">true</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">true</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
          </match>
          <match key="volume.size" compare_ge="1000000000">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">false</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">false</merge>
            </match>
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">false</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">false</merge>
            </match>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    --> 
    </deviceinfo>
    Last edited by Steve1961; August 1st, 2007 at 04:16 PM.

Beans

let me see if i got this right, you have other partions, but there not listed in fstab and there not mounted at startup?

do you have gnome-volume-manager installed?
    i also see gnome-mount in synaptic, do you have that?

do you want them automounted?
    if yes, have you tried putting> mount -a & < in /etc/rc.local?

i'm thinking it's a permission thing, have you checked if your in the disk group?
    Last edited by kerry_s; August 1st, 2007 at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

let me see if i got this right, you have other partions, but there not listed in fstab and there not mounted at startup?
    I have numerous partitions, some of which I automount through fstab at startup, and others I manually mount if I need to access them. However, all of my partitions also show up in the nautilus sidebar. In Fesity I can just double-click them and mount or unmount them at will without any fstab entries. This is really convenient and I wondered if it was also possible in Debian.

do you have gnome-volume-manager installed?
    i also see gnome-mount in synaptic, do you have that?
    I have both installed.

do you want them automounted?
    if yes, have you tried putting> mount -a & < in /etc/rc.local?
    No, I want to mount them as and when necessary

i'm thinking it's a permission thing, have you checked if your in the disk group?
    Ah, I'm not. I'll give that a try and get back to you.

Beans
    Distro

Adding myself to the disk group made no difference. I think it is a permissions problem, problem is I don't know what Feisty uses to grant rights to mount disks to users from within nautilus - or even from the desktop computer icon.

Beans

Hi everybody!

I tried to achieve the following thing: Mounting an encrypted partition from the places folder in gnome (with gnome-mount). This is easy, if this partition is on a removable media. It shows up and when you mount it you are asked for your password. Afterwards a mapper device is created. That device contains an ext3 filesystem, which is then again mounted. (tested with USB-Stick).

But in my setup the partition is on my internal harddisk. It did not show up in the places folder (computer:/// in Nautilus). My System is Debian Etch 4.0r1. In my opinion this might be related to Steve1961's problem.

I did the following steps:

1.) Make the partition to show up in Nautilus:
    in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/debian-storage-policy-ignore-fixed-crypto-drives.fdi
    changed true to false. That way HAL does not ignore the partition (in my case /dev/sda3). That is the new file:
    Code:
    user@debian# cat debian-storage-policy-ignore-fixed-crypto-drives.fdi
      <device>
        <match key="volume.fsusage" string="crypto">
          <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
              <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">false</merge>
            </match>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    2.) TRY to make the device mountable by user:
    I created a new policy in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/
    Code:
    user@debian# cat new_policy.fdi
    	<device>
    		<match key="volume.linux.is_device_mapper" bool="true">
    			<match key="volume.uuid" string="a472a5dd-ae7f-453b-b04c-fdeb73fb22e2">
    				<append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">uid=</append>
    			</match>
    		</match>
    	</device>
    	<device>
        		<match key="volume.fsusage" string="crypto">
          			<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
           				 <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
    					<append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">uid=</append>
            			</match>
          			</match>
        		</match>
      	</device>
    </deviceinfo>
    With this setup my encrypted partition (/dev/sda3) is mounted as clear text device /dev/dm-0 by gnome-mount. BUT then I am not allowd to mount the ext3 mapper device: /dev/dm-0 (its uuid is a472a5dd-ae7f-453b-b04c-fdeb73fb22e2 as typed above). gnome-mount gives:

Code:
    user@debian# gnome-mount -vbd /dev/sda3
    gnome-mount 0.5
    libhal-storage.c 1401 : INFO: called LIBHAL_FREE_DBUS_ERROR but dbusError was not set.
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: Crypto volume - UDI '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ea9f10d3_7fda_42c3_928c_2d75270de2e8'
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: Setting up /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ea9f10d3_7fda_42c3_928c_2d75270de2e8 for crypto
    Setup clear-text device for /dev/sda3.
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: Waiting for cleartext volume backed by /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ea9f10d3_7fda_42c3_928c_2d75270de2e8..
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: In crypto_setup_device_added for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: In crypto_setup_device_removed for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: In crypto_setup_device_added for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: In crypto_setup_device_removed for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2 is backed by /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ea9f10d3_7fda_42c3_928c_2d75270de2e8 - will mount
    Clear text device is /dev/dm-0. Mounting.
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: Mounting /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2
    ** (gnome-mount:4479): DEBUG: Mounting /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2 with mount_point='dm-0', fstype='', num_options=0

** (gnome-mount:4479): WARNING **: Mount failed for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_a472a5dd_ae7f_453b_b04c_fdeb73fb22e2
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy : hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 1000
    It always ends with: hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 1000
    If I check the device with hal-device-manager, the uid= is set. I also appended other strings to "volume.mount.valid_options", like users. But it did not change anything.

Trying to mount this device should be the same case as the following setup: An ext3 partition, which should be mountable by a normal user. The user is a member of the disk group.

I would be deligthed if somebody could help me, since it would be comfortable to mount a partition from within Nautilus whenever the user wants it.

BTW: pmount is able to mount /dev/sda3 with the following settings:

Code:
    user@debian# cat /etc/pmount.allow
    # /etc/pmount.allow
    # pmount will allow users to additionally mount all devices that are
    # listed here.
    /dev/sda3
    Another approach: It is possible to include the mapper device in my fstab:
    Code:
    UUID=a472a5dd-ae7f-453b-b04c-fdeb73fb22e2 /media/crypt   ext3 defaults,user,exec,noauto   0   0
    HAL is then able to mount the device-mapper, because it uses the fstab properties for the device. BUT: If I use this, the mapper device is always listed in Nautilus, even if not present.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Alexander Klein.