Thread: Make manufacturers recognize Linux!

Beans

Make manufacturers recognize Linux!

I'm going to email a bunch of companies and ask about their Linux drivers, software support, etc. I am just one person, so it won't make much difference, but if others do the same maybe they will take notice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Make manufacturers recognize Linux!

I think probably the most effective solution would be to try to make a web-name-list in this matter. The only problem is to mobilize the whole linux community to sign the list....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Put it on the wiki, a list of companies their effective support rating (community) and then their official stance rating with some colour codes. come up with a good system and we can focus on the real black balls.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

The only way to affect things is to speak with your wallet. And that means software, hardware... everything. DO NOT BUY Adobe software, MS Office or any other popular software and run it on wine if you want a native version... your wallet is the only language companies understand. If you buy a logitech keyboard (I'm guilty) then don't expect change... you need to NOT buy it until they support linux. Same with creative, Nvidia and ATI, Broadcom... you get the idea. And tell your friends. I know I affect a lot of hardware purchases from friends and family, and even though its doesn't really affect them I try to point them towards vendors that are linux friendly out of principle.

EDIT: DR Mo, look at the hardware boycott list in the Cafe somewhere... I think that is roughly what you are looking for. Moving it to the wiki would be nice though.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

igknighted is right... we as somewhat experienced computer users may have a great influence in our friends on matters as what to buy and where to buy it so we might as well do the right thing and insist so they buy linux supported hardware which curiously is a better hardware on any OS