Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Dapper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Back to Dapper

Anyone else heading back?

I've perservered with Edgy (Feisty just does not like my laptop at all) but I've got fed up with trying to get the wireless drivers working (nothing works, it keeps hanging no matter what guide I follow, and I've followed them all).

Has anyone else gone back to Dapper? It's made me realise that upgrading every 6 months isn't necessarily a good thing.
    Nothing to see here, move along...

Beans

Re: Back to Dapper

Hi,

Went back shortly after the arrival of Feisty. My burner never really worked under Feisty and I disliked the automatic codec downloading. Plus I enjoy being a little retro

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I use Dapper and Feisty, however, Feisty works fine with my computer.

Beans

I love dapper and used to for a whole year, upgrading to it shortly after its release. Unfortunately, I had to update to feisty because I needed a kernel with smp, and more pow0r.
    Feisty uses a lot more memory than dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had problems running Edgy, probably since my PC is newer so I won't be going back. It's likely that I'll be sticking with the next LT release since upgrading every six months isn't appealing to me very much.

Beans
    Hidden!

This kinda worries me. I currently hardline to a router, but I'm moving soon and where I'm moving to only offers wireless. I hope I can figure it out. I mean, getting cut-off from the internet is bad enough, but a lot of what Ubuntu does requires an internet connection for repo's. It'll be difficult to operate without it.
    Folding@Home & TeamUbuntu ... the lazy person's charity! Your comp does the work while you get the warm, fuzzy, hello-kitty feeling of helping humanity. That, and we get to trounce other teams in the folding competition! Join today!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm still using Dapper because (as far as I remember):
    1. In Edgy, I lost the UPS battery indicator. If I point it with the mouse, it correctly shows how much energy it still holds, but the icon itself became a red cross.
    2. In Feisty, my multimedia keys stopped working. Some days ago, I found a correction here in the forums, but I'm afraid of screwing my installation for the third time, so I'm not updating for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tszanon View Post
    I'm still using Dapper because (as far as I remember):
    1. In Edgy, I lost the UPS battery indicator. If I point it with the mouse, it correctly shows how much energy it still holds, but the icon itself became a red cross.
    2. In Feisty, my multimedia keys stopped working. Some days ago, I found a correction here in the forums, but I'm afraid of screwing my installation for the third time, so I'm not updating for now.
    Make a backup of your ubuntu partition

I do that before each new release upgrade thus i can revert back my ubuntu install if i'm not fine after the upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMay16 View Post
    I love dapper and used to for a whole year, upgrading to it shortly after its release. Unfortunately, I had to update to feisty because I needed a kernel with smp, and more pow0r.
    Feisty uses a lot more memory than dapper.
    Did you search the various linux-image packages? There is a SMP kernel for it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm starting to favour stability now over anything else. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Nothing to see here, move along...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast