View Poll Results: cable tv status?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, subscribied, lots of stuff I like to watch.

8 22.86%
  • Yes. not subscribied, too expensive.

0 0%
  • Nope. Nothing to see there. subscribied.

11 31.43%
  • Nope. Noting to see there. not subscribied.

16 45.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your opinion on cable TV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Your opinion on cable TV

I'm a news junkie, have to always know whats going on in the world, it's like an obsession. But, I called Dish Network and fired them, took down their dish and started getting my news from the internet. I go to places like the BBC, the AP, and Reuters.

It was the Paris Hilton thing that turned me off cable news for good. The morning that this report came across;

"3 US Marines were killed in Iraq when......or wait, we have to go live to LA, we have an aerial view, Paris has come out of the house.."

How can anyone take a news network like that seriously?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

In the UK it's mostly satellite from Sky. Sky is really not worth the money, nothing but repeats and rubbish. To top it off, the paid for channels all have adverts too.

I cancelled the subscription, the only channels worth watching are the free ones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

We use satellite TV and not only is it cheaper then cable, but it has better picture, more channels, and comes back faster after storms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There are a few programs I enjoy on cable, but I've never kept the subscription very long. Seems I can enjoy "new" (to me, anyway) programming for six months, maybe a year, then I'm seeing the same stuff over and over again. I used to cancel for a year or so, then get it again and repeat. But I've been without it for three years now, and am not overly motivated to get it again. Netflix has filled in - and I find I reallly can't stand watching commercials anymore! (Although a MythTV box helps that somewhat.)

I used to be a CNN/HN watching news junkie too, which helped me keep the subscription, but somewhere along the way I got tired of them as well. I just read news sources online (mostly BBC).

At the moment I don't even have a TV set up in the house. If I want to watch off-the-air channels, I have to dig out the VCR (stacked somewhere in the back room) and plug it into my projector. That happens maybe twice a year, when friends/family want to come over to watch some sports in my "home theater".

Beans
    Hidden!

@RandomJoe
    similar status here.. I've got a 22" computer screen, and a 10 years old 14" tv, unconnected. My priorities are pretty obvious..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12