Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debian/Ubuntu Doomsday Packages

Beans

Talking Debian/Ubuntu Doomsday Packages

** Please note this a a copy of a post I placed in the offcial doomsday forums **

G'day.

I'm please to announce the availablity of new Doomsday packages for Debian Sarge and for Ubuntu Hoary. More information on what has been packaged is available here http://eyagi.bpa.nu/~jamie/doomsday.html. Please note that the repository HAS moved, and updated details are on that page.

What's new in this release: I have done some packaging cleanups, I've added .desktop files, and I've fixed an annoying typo that actually prevented the deng-jdoom-ep pack from actually working (I can't believe no one noticed it ?). At the time of writing the engine, support files, iwad installers and all the jpacks have finished autobuilding and are available for download. The pwads are currently queued and will autobuild over the next few days.

Currently only i386 packages are working. I built amd64 but due to some issues it segfaults on startup. powerpc and other Debian arch users, feel free to apt-get source deng and build it yourself, or show me how to get Debian/Ubuntu installed in an emulator for your arch, and I'll build them myself.

Those of you who have downloaded this before have probally realised I actually host this on my home ADSL line. So in advance, big packs are likely to be slow. I strongly recommend to start with you download the iwad installers, and deng first, and download the jpacks overnight.

amd64 users:
    * I have tested this in an Ubuntu Hoary i386 chroot on an Ubuntu Hoary amd64 system with nvidia binary drivers and it works fine for me.
    * I have tested this in an Debian Sarge i386 chroot on an Ubuntu Hoary amd64 system with nvidia binary drivers. It can not find openGL drivers and isn't really playable because of graphics corruption.
    * If you run this on an amd64 system, in an i386 chroot, with nvidia drivers, and have graphics corruption caused by deng not finding you drivers, this can be fixed by copying 32bit versions of your nvidia drivers to your chroot and running
    Code:
    export LD_PRELOAD="/home/jamie/libGL.so.1.0.7174 /home/jamie/libGLcore.so.1.0.7174 /home/jamie/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7174"
    to load 32 nvidia drivers. Make sure you bind mount /dev in your chroot. It's a kludge.
    *** If you run this in a chroot, you don't get a nice menu to load deng. To load deng you can look in usr/share/applications for any desktop file starting with deng, eg doom2 is deng-iwad-doom2-installer.desktop. If you open that file you will see a line starting Exec= copy and paste everything after the Exec= into a new terminal to load doomsday. Anyone care to supply a script to automatically do this ?

Beans

Re: Debian/Ubuntu Doomsday Packages

Whats that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickless
    Whats that?
    It's a very nice Doom sourceport. You may know it as JDoom, JHexen or JHeretic. The upstream website is http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ and the support forums are http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=57

Beans

I don't own DOOM but can I still play using the demo pak files? If I can where can I get the pak files from?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smiley
    I don't own DOOM but can I still play using the demo pak files? If I can where can I get the pak files from?

Thanks.
    I will make an installer package for the shareware doom episode some time in the future, there is a doom-wad-shareware package in Debian's non-free section which will need to be ported to multiverse as my installer will depend on it.

You can still buy Doom at EB games if your near one, Id released a Doom Collectors pack, it's about $20AU from memory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yagisan
    You can still buy Doom at EB games if your near one, Id released a Doom Collectors pack, it's about $20AU from memory.
    I'll see if I can find it at EB.
    Thanks!

Beans

If the game can be redistributed, the packages can make their way into Ubuntu. You would need to talk to the Masters of the Universe in #ubuntu-motu on Freenode.

Corey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Burgundavia
    If the game can be redistributed, the packages can make their way into Ubuntu. You would need to talk to the Masters of the Universe in #ubuntu-motu on Freenode.

Corey
    Thanks Corey, but with this package there are some DFSG issues to be fixed. When they are fixed I will apply to have it go into Debian proper with me as the DD. To be honest I haven't checked the MOTU criteria yet, but it's on my list of todo things.

People, give me your feedback on these packages. If you like it and want it to be in Ubuntu tell me, and I'll start the process.

Beans

Thank you very much Yagisan! This is an amazing port of a true classic and much loved game. I was as impressed with this port as i was with doom3 graphics. I even installed Sarge to use your packages. They would be a great addition to Ubuntu. Anybody who played and enjoyed doom I & II shouldn't miss this one. Thx again
    People interested in buying original doom can get it here: http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom...me_section=buy
    and it's worth every penny imo.
    Last edited by manny; July 23rd, 2005 at 09:11 PM.

Beans

Cool. I currently have packages for Debian Sarge and Ubuntu Hoary built, there are instructions for Hoary, Breezy, Sarge and Etch on my website, so you can install the Ubuntu versions (honestly the only difference is multiverse/non-free and that hoarys sdl is older then sarge, which made sarge packages not install)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast