Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs. Fedora MY SAY! LiveCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu vs. Fedora MY SAY! LiveCD

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Can we please just keep this on course, no more questions about instigating rivalry, I just wanted to see what each side had to say. Just one didn't like what I had to say.
    But yes, I think Apt is better than YUM, and I think Ubuntu's artwork needs some,... help...
    Again, just me, thats my opinion.
    With regard to artwork, yes FC7 looks great..A few icons do hark back to the old GNOME days, like the Show Desktop button, but otherwise, very nice icons. As to Ubuntu, I also happen to like the Human/Tangerine icons...

Installation..Fedora was more "complicated" than Ubuntu...but I managed it easily...Had to hand-edit Ubuntu grub, but that's no problem for an experienced user.

I am also wondering if there are any repos closer to Malta...it took a huge amount of time to upgrade.

Beans

Can we please just keep this on course, no more questions about instigating rivalry, I just wanted to see what each side had to say. Just one didn't like what I had to say.
    But yes, I think Apt is better than YUM, and I think Ubuntu's artwork needs some,... help...
    Again, just me, thats my opinion.
    As one of the guys on the Fedora forum pointed out, artwork shouldn't be an issue, because everyone will configure their backgrounds and themes to what they want it to look like anyways.

I'd just like to say that comparing linux distros is okay, but a little healthy competition always has a way of going bad. Plus, there are just distros that just can't be compared, like Ubuntu and Slackware. They are different distros because their maintainers have particular set of goals in mind with them, Fedora aims at being non-proprietary, Ubuntu aims to be easy to use, Slackware aims to be the most Unix-like (Keep It Simple, Stupid). People may find your review a little unfair.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

As one of the guys on the Fedora forum pointed out, artwork shouldn't be an issue, because everyone will configure their backgrounds and themes to what they want it to look like anyways.
    True..but first impressions mean a lot..This is for Ubuntu's background, mind. It's horrible in my opinion. Fedora's backgrounds are excellent.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    True..but first impressions mean a lot..This is for Ubuntu's background, mind. It's horrible in my opinion. Fedora's backgrounds are excellent.
    I agree, it has some major detail work, not to mention the effort for it. Nice job IMHO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    Ok, smart, then....

Complicated?? I found that using yum from the command line was way more userfriendly than pirut! At least I could see whether an app was downloading or not..and it was faster!
    SMART is still beta. You really can't include a beta package manager, that's a kinda important piece . Also, smart is not a YUM front-end. YUM is the primary reason I pick Fedora, I would not want them to drop that. Sure the GUI package tools suck, but they are really young. There is Pirut, Yumex and a couple others IIRC. I think Pirut is the package manager tool of the future, and it will become more feature filled as it matures. Besides, who uses graphical package tools? Yum search <package> and yum install <package> are so much easier and faster.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Hi guys. I am a Fedora user who has used Fedora as his primary distro since FC4. I frequent Fedoraforum, am probably considered a regular. I just wanted to extend my hand to you Ubuntu guys. I am impressed by what went on here. I came here following RAV TUX's gracious post in our forum. Bob, or Flatwombat, is a highly respected Administrater in our forum, probably the hardest working and friendliest person we have. He wont admit that but he certainly has my admiration and undying gratitude. I just wanted to thank you folks for not turning this thread into a flamefest. We have had our share the last month or so and I suppose you have also. Linux is great! Most anyone who has used it more than a year will tell you that under the hood it is mostly the same and it really matters not which distro you use or prefer. I have two installs of 7.4 Ubuntu CE and I love it. I used 1 install of Edgy before that. I also run debian etch on my backup server and as a dual boot/back door on my big rig. It is OK to compare distros, I do it. I like Fedora much better than anything else. This is me. Doesnt mean I cant respect other distros for their strong points. But these "distro wars" are stupid. You had someone trying to tell you we are elitist in our forum, putting down Ubuntu, saying it was a kiddie distro...Some do, same as I saw a few of the same type of comments about Fedora in this thread. So what? The people over at Fedoraforum that matter not only support Ubuntu but we also actually recommend it to many people. You have many users over there, as I am sure there are probably a good many Fedora users here. And once again, I am just so impressed by how this was handled that I had to register just to thank you guys. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was banned from the forums

Nice going! You demonstrate the superiority of the Ubuntu forums by giving everyone else the impression that it is populated by immature little fan boys, a little naive I think.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by purdy hate machine View Post
    Nice going! You demonstrate the superiority of the Ubuntu forums by giving everyone else the impression that it is populated by immature little fan boys, a little naive I think.
    Stay on subject.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A LOT of serious Linux users use Fedora. Just click on any recent month's threads archive view of Fedora-List:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

And you can see much of the discussion has a different focus from ubuntuforums. There are generally not newbie posts of 'how do I hook up my printer?' but rather posts asking about iptables, etc.

I noticed you commented how the fedora forums are lacking users. Well, all fedora users use the above mailing list primarily, and not that forum.

Ubuntu has its strengths, as you have outlined in your initial post. But to say that one is better than the other, or this one wins here, etc. - those are sort of ridiculous statements, as Fedora and Ubuntu are different by nature.
    Last edited by stmiller; July 30th, 2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: .

Beans

Hi all,

I been using both of these distributions since they started, I'm kind of an old fart. Can I say that here?

Anyway, they are both great in their own arena and both lacking in good easy to use wireless support. Fedora comes better suited out of the box to compile and customize and Ubuntu is more plug and play for a quick setup and the older I get I like the quick setup.

I have and old laptop that only has 256 mb of ram and 800mghz pentium III that I couldn't get Ubuntu to install on because of lack of memory so I grabbed the Fedora 7 liveCd and guess what, it went right on. So each has a place. I also couldn't get wireless to work on Ubuntu for wl-107g and f5d7050 adapters while the rt2500pci worked on Fedora out of the box and the serialmonkey belkin driver compiled and worked.

Ubuntu package management is definately better with great selection and I really like the auto search codec feature added in Feisty.

I'm ramblin now so I'll just say I hope both versions keep rockin' forward and adding functionality, especially related to wifi. Oh yea, and I personally like the Ubuntu art and Fedora art!

Thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast