Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Beans

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

I just ran the upgrade via the script. Before I report on what ahppened, here's my hardware details. I have a custom built box with:

* Intel D845GLVA mobo with onboard networking
    * Intel Celeron 2.20GHz processor
    * 766MB RAM
    * Nvidia GeForce2 MX/PCI graphics card
    * 1.0-9639 Video drivers installed via Envy
    * Ubuntu 7.06 Feisty Fawn

The starting kernel is 2.6.20-16-generic.

I ran the update script with no problems. I then used Envy to remove the Nvidia driver, then manually added the Gutsy repo and added the Nvidia driver with Envy. Once that was done I manually removed the Gutsy repo, crossed my fingers, and rebooted.

The xserver failed, but I ran Envy from the prompt (text version) and reinstalled the Nvidia driver, rebooting when it was done.

Once I rebooted all was well, and I'm now running the 2.6.22-generic kernel. I did get a notice of 5 KDE updates being available (I run a few KDE apps, including Anorak), including the kdedesktop (from 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu20.2 to 4:3.5.6-0ubbuntu20.4) for some odd reason, but details aren't available yet so I'll hold off on accepting them for now unless someone lets me know they're ok to take.

Boot up seemed a little quicker, but I was getting another cup of coffee and forgot that's the first place I'd see a speed increase so I'll have to post again later to say if I'm noticing a difference. An excellect script, definitely deserving to be in the Best of Ubuntu list. Getting this done makes me even more eager to grabbing the Gutsy upgrade when it hits beta, hopefully on Thursday.

One other note: I hadn't known to set my /home up on a different partition when I first made the switch to Ubuntu and when I was moving it over the weekend I ended up borking things and had to reinstall Feisty so the install is pretty cleaned up from where it was late last week, so any speed improvements from the new kernel may actually not be as noticeable, or at least I may not realize the speed improvements are from the kernel and not just cleaning things up.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by maaylix View Post
    Thing is, auto update keeps reminding me to downgrade to Feity's kernel... any way to remove those updates, so I don't have a constant update icon reminder on my taskbar?
    Yea same here, it wants to get 2 headers, an image , and a libc-dev.
    ARCH64+XMonad | Ubuntu32 Natty | Configs | Webs | Blog

Beans

Holy crap I'm not reading through the whole topic, it's huge.

So I'll ask:

Should I remove my restricted nVIDIA driver before rebooting into the new kernel?

Beans

Way back when I saw someone who said they had no driver issues with the new kernel, but I always need to update my driver with a new kernel. I'd say try it without changing your driver, but have Envy handy to run in text mode (sudo envy -t) just in case you need it. Looking back I probably would have done that myself, or maybe just get tyhe new driver in Envy with the Feisty repo before rebooting. Either way, Envy saved my bacon, not to mention some time and frustration. Some people hate it, but I love it.

Beans

Well, I tried the script with my driver on. It killed X, so pressed ESC and switched to the old kernel and tried again without the driver installed. Worked out this time, but now I'm afraid to install the driver again because I don't want the White Screen of Death again or anything like that (because I have no idea how to run Envy and I don't know if another kernel switch would fix it)...

What to do...

EDIT: Blargh, that didn't work out. Luckily I could just use the old kernel again, but seriously, I could really use this restricted driver right about now. Should I try those other drivers mentioned on the OP? I don't think I'd need legacy, but the computer is a Dell Dimension 4300 and I'm not sure how old the card itself is...

I could just keep doing this GRUB ESC stuff but it's getting annoying.
    Last edited by SZF2001; September 26th, 2007 at 07:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ST.x View Post
    Yea same here, it wants to get 2 headers, an image , and a libc-dev.
    Hmm here it only wants two headers and an image

Beans

Worked well for me Thanks.
    Hopefully helps against straight-to-black hard crashes i have been having.

Edit: The kernel was not the problem, i think i am having some hardware problem (with the harddisk or or maybe how it connects to the motherboard or something; livecds did work.) Anyway it does not crash much anymore after disabling swap.
    Last edited by Jasper84; October 1st, 2007 at 10:44 PM.

Beans

Hey guys, that poster talking about Envy (I can't seem to find it, I'm a little sleepy now) did wonders for me - I think it should be added to the OP for people with the same problems with their nVIDIA cards... I mean, switching to the 'new' or 'legacy' didn't seem to do much for me, but the Envy script built the driver by it's source and all kinds of neat things happened for me.

USE ENVY WOOOT

Beans

Sorry, I should have included a link when I was writing my post. I was actually writing it in Gmail so I could hve it handy to post when I was ready to post it. Envy's great for Nvidia cards, and it should work for ATI cards as well.

Envy

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Peng View Post
    I just ran the upgrade via the script. Before I report on what ahppened, here's my hardware details. I have a custom built box with:

* Intel D845GLVA mobo with onboard networking
    * Intel Celeron 2.20GHz processor
    * 766MB RAM
    * Nvidia GeForce2 MX/PCI graphics card
    * 1.0-9639 Video drivers installed via Envy
    * Ubuntu 7.06 Feisty Fawn

The starting kernel is 2.6.20-16-generic.

I ran the update script with no problems. I then used Envy to remove the Nvidia driver, then manually added the Gutsy repo and added the Nvidia driver with Envy. Once that was done I manually removed the Gutsy repo, crossed my fingers, and rebooted.

The xserver failed, but I ran Envy from the prompt (text version) and reinstalled the Nvidia driver, rebooting when it was done.

Once I rebooted all was well, and I'm now running the 2.6.22-generic kernel. I did get a notice of 5 KDE updates being available (I run a few KDE apps, including Anorak), including the kdedesktop (from 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu20.2 to 4:3.5.6-0ubbuntu20.4) for some odd reason, but details aren't available yet so I'll hold off on accepting them for now unless someone lets me know they're ok to take.

Boot up seemed a little quicker, but I was getting another cup of coffee and forgot that's the first place I'd see a speed increase so I'll have to post again later to say if I'm noticing a difference. An excellect script, definitely deserving to be in the Best of Ubuntu list. Getting this done makes me even more eager to grabbing the Gutsy upgrade when it hits beta, hopefully on Thursday.

One other note: I hadn't known to set my /home up on a different partition when I first made the switch to Ubuntu and when I was moving it over the weekend I ended up borking things and had to reinstall Feisty so the install is pretty cleaned up from where it was late last week, so any speed improvements from the new kernel may actually not be as noticeable, or at least I may not realize the speed improvements are from the kernel and not just cleaning things up.
    Way back when I saw someone who said they had no driver issues with the new kernel, but I always need to update my driver with a new kernel. I'd say try it without changing your driver, but have Envy handy to run in text mode (sudo envy -t) just in case you need it. Looking back I probably would have done that myself, or maybe just get tyhe new driver in Envy with the Feisty repo before rebooting. Either way, Envy saved my bacon, not to mention some time and frustration. Some people hate it, but I love it.
    Sorry, I should have included a link when I was writing my post. I was actually writing it in Gmail so I could hve it handy to post when I was ready to post it. Envy's great for Nvidia cards, and it should work for ATI cards as well.

Envy
    Use Envy to install nVidia drivers. Linking this on the OP.

Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast