Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Beans

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Upgrade to the latest kernel worked like a charm, aside from the new NVidia drivers I had to install.

Now my DWL-G122 c1 wireless usb adapter also works without special drivers!

FYI:
    running Feisty on an AMD Athlon64 3200+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Peedjay View Post
    Thanks for the script! Works perfectly. Got even my wireless finally working with it (which is btw a Intel 4965AGN. No more messing around with drivers!)
    Which is not my case (Broadcom 4318) any Ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

2.6.22-12 is out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Interesting network test, great script
    Isn't python fun? Here's the script I wrote with it, took me a while -- http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/pool/l...elcheck-stage2
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Interesting network test, great script
    Isn't python fun? Here's the script I wrote with it, took me a while -- http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/pool/l...elcheck-stage2
    lol... very simple network test

your script looks very nice... good work

yea, im enjoying python... though i've only just dipped my foot into python...
    Last edited by walkerk; September 22nd, 2007 at 01:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

does this make my computer weaker to security exploits?
    Sempron 3800 2.2GHz 1Gig ram 160GB hdd Geforce 6100

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by atlfalcons866 View Post
    does this make my computer weaker to security exploits?
    not at all. this will install kernel ver 2.6.22 with ubuntu developer security patches (currently at -12)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by arizonagroovejet View Post
    So anyone done this who is using the nvidia restricted driver?
    I<snip>
    A bunch of other packages would be updated as a result of nvidia-glx-new for some reason. Anyone actually done this? If so what happened?

I have an Asus mobo and would like 2.6.22 to give me hardware monitoring. lm-sensors doesn't support the sensors on the mobo without 2.6.21 or above.
    Yes, me too. EVGA 680i mobo, want kernel >= 2.6.21 for lm-sensors, but don't want Gutsy yet. Restricted-Drivers Feisy nvidia driver didn't work for me since I am on x86_64 with geForce 8800GTS video card, needed Envy for it to work properly.

Edit: Manual upgrade instructions + envy after booting into the new kernel worked smoothly and easily. Thank you !!

One small hitch with grub due to my having dual SATA drives with different ubuntu versions on them?
    • first time ran script chose "no do not reboot now" in kernel-1.py
    • killed some stuff and rebooted
    • no new kernel option in grub menu at boot
    • thought well, should have let kernel.py reboot so ran it again and let it reboot the system
    • still no grub entry for 2.6.22
    • sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst
    • !! 2.6.22 listing is right there first entry
    • tried various edits to menu.lst, rebooting without new entry
    • ran update-grub
    • still no 2.6.22 entry
    • duh - finally looked in /boot/ itself and no vmlinuz-2.6.22-12
    • followed manual instructions to upgrage kernel
    • checked that 2.6.22 stuff is in /boot/
    • reboot

same thing it's in menu.lst but doesn't show up as an option
    $ uname -r
    $ 2.6.20-16-generic

Edit: Okay... hmm gotta check my partitions
    recovery mode groot=(hd0,1) /boot/ has no new kernel
    default boot groot=(hd0,2) /boot/ has new kernel

yah... got confused with feisty32 install I'd forgotten about, two weirdly partitioned SATA drives. I'm used this GRUB overview to sort it out.
    Last edited by rada; September 23rd, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i use the restricted driver - DO NOT REMOVE anything - i did and got meself in some hot water - it needs the glx junk and xorg drivers. and linux-commons is needed for the restricted manager - so it's best to leave them.

Oh and Before the BETA there is going to be - might more after this post a new linux header - image, etc.. everyday - so do the gutsy update kernel updates everyday.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Hidden!

I gave a quick skim through the topic, so I might have missed a solution to my problem.

The tutorial did wonders for, me, I was finally able to run both of my sata drives in ubuntu, many thanks!

Thing is, auto update keeps reminding me to downgrade to Feity's kernel... any way to remove those updates, so I don't have a constant update icon reminder on my taskbar?

Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast