Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade. Feisty to Gutsy's (2.6.22-8-generic)

Simplified the process for you all.. I added a script to install the kernel.. See the original post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walkerk View Post
    Simplified the process for you all.. I added a script to install the kernel.. See the original post.
    Since i am using 686 right now and I use your script to install 386, will my t2060 still be detected as dual core?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NikoK View Post
    Since i am using 686 right now and I use your script to install 386, will my t2060 still be detected as dual core?
    this installs the generic kernel not the 386 kernel. i have 686 and generic uses my dual cores.. so the answer is yes

Beans
    Hidden!

please reply once you've upgraded to let me know all is well.

Beans

Can not wait for an official release of 2.6.23 to come out. Alot of really good changes. Change log too big to list. Go here for listing of changes: http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Doh! Doesn't work with an AMD Turion 64 X2 Dell Inspiron 1501

Code:
    [0.196000] .. MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
    [0.240000] PCI: Cannot allocate region 7 of bridge 0000:00:05.0
    [0.240000] PCI: Cannot allocate region 8 of bridge 0000:00:05.0
    I should have know that since it's a known bug with Gutsy which will be fixed before release. Hopefully in Tribe 4. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/121111

BTW: I didn't even have to manually remove the info from Grub. Did it itself after removing the packages.

Edit: Hummm... Seems to have deleted my custom boot splash. No big deal though...
    Last edited by andrewsomething; August 1st, 2007 at 04:56 AM.
    -----

Community Manager @ DigitalOcean
    You're more likely to get answers from me over on AskUbuntu these days.

Beans
    Hidden!

will nvidia-glx-new from feisty work with linux-restricted-modules from gutsy?

nvidia-glx-new from gutsy depends on libc6 2.6! feisty version is 2.5!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bogolisk View Post
    will nvidia-glx-new from feisty work with linux-restricted-modules from gutsy?

nvidia-glx-new from gutsy depends on libc6 2.6! feisty version is 2.5!
    i have 2.6 on my computer though I never upgraded it. the kernel install might have upgraded it. but nevertheless you can always add libc6 2.6 by yourself after adding the Gutsy repository:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6 libc6-dev
    I altered the script for you.. See my original post to download it. This will upgrade libc6 to 2.6 and install the kernel
    Last edited by walkerk; August 1st, 2007 at 10:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello,

Would like to try this, but have a few reservations.

I understand it's easy to just boot up with an older kernel -- but (a big but), what about all the kernel modules I have installed? Had to modify options for sound, ACPI, and several other kernel modules.

If the new kernel (& I assume the restricted modules, etc) don't work out, you have to do more than just boot with a different kernel, right? -- can I just use Synaptic to uninstall all the restricted modules, and then re-install the Feisty versions?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jhongy View Post
    Hello,

Would like to try this, but have a few reservations.

I understand it's easy to just boot up with an older kernel -- but (a big but), what about all the kernel modules I have installed? Had to modify options for sound, ACPI, and several other kernel modules.

If the new kernel (& I assume the restricted modules, etc) don't work out, you have to do more than just boot with a different kernel, right? -- can I just use Synaptic to uninstall all the restricted modules, and then re-install the Feisty versions?
    This method will not remove the restricted modules for your old kernels. It will only add the new kernel (& restricted modules) and enable you to boot into 2.6.22-9-generic.

If it doesn't work out for you, you can simply uninstall the new kernel like I posted (or through Synaptic).. Your old stuff will still be installed and bootable..

I left it up to you to remove your old kernel and modules if you feel the need. I didn't want to strand anyone by deleting their kernels..

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast