Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade. Feisty to Gutsy's (2.6.22-8-generic)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerk View Post
    Glad you gave it a go again. I was pleased when I upgraded as well. Unfortunately my laptop has Intel 945GM so I'm not much help to you ATI and NVIDIA users. When you find the fix please post it just in case someone else is having the same problem
    i used envy on my gateway mx6453....ati x1150

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I'll write a quick script for you. Did you remove the restricted modules for 2.6.22-9? The script that I'll post up in a few minutes will download the nvidia-glx-new or nvidia-glx-legacy modules from the Gutsy repos..

edit: Now that I look into the Gutsy repos there are way too many options for the nVidia driver and I personally don't have an nVidia card.. So I'm not the one to do this. The easiest method would be for you to add the Gusty repos and then use Synaptic to decided which one you need. I can get you to that point though

in a terminal window:
    Code:
    echo 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    now update:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    now check Synaptic:
    Code:
    gksudo synaptic
    Find your module and then install it. Remember not to install anything else that might pop up with the automatic updates feature.

now remove the Gutsy repo by removing it from /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    remove the following line (it'll be the last line of the file):
    Code:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
    Sorry I couldn't finish the script. I had it all done and then look a look at the Gutsy repos and realized there are too many options and I wasn't sure which would work..

edit 2: If you let me know exactly which modules you needed to get it working I'll post up the nvidia script (using your instructions) to my main post.. to help out others with this issue.

Thanks for the prompt respond, i am goin to try what you suggested and let you know what happens, one thing is i am using the new nvidia driver which i downloaded from the nvidia website, http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.11.html when i look in synaptic it is not listed so i am thinking i will just have to reinstall it by following this instruction its pretty straight forward http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+nvidia+driver so maybe u can incorporate this instruction in the script for those using the latest nvidia driver (or u can do a generic one and the user will have to enter what ever nvidia driver they are using), but i am not master ubuntu user so i dont know if that is possible . Also in his instructions he refered to the driver as NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run but should be NVIDIA-Linux-x86-64-100.14.11-pkg1.run thanks
    Last edited by siralphred; August 4th, 2007 at 07:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Weirdness ensues... the ati installer for my graphics card reports an unsupported architecture when trying to build packages...

Code:
    Generating package: Ubuntu/gutsy
    ./packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh: 175: dpkg-architecture: not found
    Error: unsupported architecture: 
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.Zb7622
    This occurs when generating any package, even Ubuntu/feisty I'll keep playing around with it, has anyone else had this problem with the ATI packages?

I'm getting this show up too which is a little disheartening... seems the fglrx module isn't being loaded at least not in it's entirety... fun fun
    Code:
    jamie@maplesyrup:~$ dmesg | grep fglrx
    [   37.620000] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
    [   37.624000] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 928 MBytes.
    [   37.624000] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.37.6 [May 25 2007] on minor 0
    [   40.576000] [fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 4666 using kernel context 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by fooman View Post
    i used envy on my gateway mx6453....ati x1150
    I tried envy too, but it won't install... requires build-essential which in turn requires some new packages from gutsy...

Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      build-essential: Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                                libc-dev
                       Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and install those dev libs and the build tools from the gutsy repo.

Update: This is potentially going to be painful...
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    cpp cpp-4.1 dpkg dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.1 gcc gcc-4.1 gcc-4.1-base gcc-4.2-base
    libc6-dev libgcc1 libstdc++6 libstdc++6-4.1-dev linux-libc-dev
    Suggested packages:
    cpp-multilib cpp-doc gcc-4.1-locales lzma debian-keyring g++-multilib
    g++-4.1-multilib gcc-4.1-doc gcc-multilib manpages-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool
    flex bison gcc-doc gcc-4.1-multilib glibc-doc libstdc++6-4.1-doc
    Recommended packages:
    libmudflap0-dev
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    build-essential dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.1 gcc-4.2-base libc6-dev libstdc++6-4.1-dev
    linux-libc-dev
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    cpp cpp-4.1 dpkg gcc gcc-4.1 gcc-4.1-base libgcc1 libstdc++6
    We'll soon see, I'l leaving it installing while I go watch the simpsons movie, wish me luck.
    Last edited by jamieplucinski; August 4th, 2007 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jamieplucinski View Post
    I tried envy too, but it won't install... requires build-essential which in turn requires some new packages from gutsy...

Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      build-essential: Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                                libc-dev
                       Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and install those dev libs and the build tools from the gutsy repo.

Update: This is potentially going to be painful...

We'll soon see, I'l leaving it installing while I go watch the simpsons movie, wish me luck.
    LOL. Good luck man.

And let me know how the movie is. I'll have to wait several more weeks until we get it over here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Nifty. The latest kernel supports my Targus bluetooth dongle (it even says so in the release notes). Thanks for the guide!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

LOL. Good luck man.

And let me know how the movie is. I'll have to wait several more weeks until we get it over here.
    Best. Movie. Ever. It's been out here a while, but I wanted to avoid the crowds and sat in a relatively quiet theater, quiet until the movie started that is... hilarious, exactly what a Simpsons movie should be.

Anyways I am up and running with direct rendering, yay! Here's my howto for the 200M chipset:

1. Install the kernel as per this guide
    2. Re-add the gutsy repos and then do apt-get update
    3. Do apt-get install build-essential and install all of the required libs (just answer Y)
    4. Remove the gutsy repo and do apt-get update again.
    5. Install Envy and do what you will with it
    6. Reboot when prompted by Envy, et voila, direct rendering enabled for your graphics

So yay, success for me, thanks again, and be sure to go see the movie!

Beans

Another user had issues with VMWare but he was able to fix the issues easily. Read back several pages and perhaps PM him. I didn't experiance any issues the VirtualBox..
    I did review the posts first. The problem is not getting the VMWare product installed. The problem is that no matter what I do I don't have network support in my guest networks.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks!

Jason

Beans

Glad to hear it guys Did you guys use the script of did you do it manually? Just curious to see if anyone is using the script or not..
    I tried the script .... didn't seem to work - the new kernel did not show up in the menu list. I then followed the manual instructions and it worked. The only thing that appears to be broken is the sound from the tv card ... the music player is working.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by flyinraptr View Post
    I tried the script .... didn't seem to work - the new kernel did not show up in the menu list. I then followed the manual instructions and it worked. The only thing that appears to be broken is the sound from the tv card ... the music player is working.
    Glad it worked. As for the script I added a few timeouts between updating and installing.. hopefully this will prevent it from getting hung up. The script does exactly what the manual instructions say. I just left it up to each user because I know some people aren't trusting (understandable.. even though you can open the sript up )

Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast