Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Beans

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade. Feisty to Gutsy's (2.6.22-8-generic)

I have other NTFS partitions under Vista's control...
    and it block me to copy stuff to because there are some DVD image too big for the USB.

it report "read only" disk... there seems no way to change it even as root.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade. Feisty to Gutsy's (2.6.22-8-generic)

It has been the third times I reinstall Ubuntu...VS. >25 times I had reinstalled Windows ME around 2001-2002.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Tried this, it completely hosed my install, and when I say completely... I mean completely... installing the extra libs means nothing works, gnome won't boot, and trying to remove them results in apt-get telling me I am about to do something stupid by removing over 3GB of packages.

So I am now stuck with a system that will only boot to a terminal since GDM won't load.... fun. I had to do this post from a Windows box I have in the house.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jamieplucinski View Post
    Tried this, it completely hosed my install, and when I say completely... I mean completely... installing the extra libs means nothing works, gnome won't boot, and trying to remove them results in apt-get telling me I am about to do something stupid by removing over 3GB of packages.

So I am now stuck with a system that will only boot to a terminal since GDM won't load.... fun. I had to do this post from a Windows box I have in the house.
    Did you update stuff other than the kernel? (as in: the Automatic Upgrade icon in the systray?) In my original post I said not to do this. In fact it was bold and red. I've done this on 3 seperate machines with out problems. Eveyone else had 0 issues. What extra libs? you mean libc6? It only upgrades from 2.5 to 2.6.. No other packages will be installed.

I'm a bit confused how you got here..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walkerk View Post
    Did you update stuff other than the kernel? (as in: the Automatic Upgrade icon in the systray?) In my original post I said not to do this. In fact it was bold and red. I've done this on 3 seperate machines with out problems. Eveyone else had 0 issues. What extra libs? you mean libc6? It only upgrades from 2.5 to 2.6.. No other packages will be installed.

I'm a bit confused how you got here..
    What you meant by not updating other stuff? Does it mean we should not run any update while we are running the new kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

yes the libc6 upgrades hosed my install, I didn't install any other libs through updates or the systray icon, as per your instructions.

Beans
    Hidden!

yes the libc6 upgrades hosed my install, I didn't install any other libs through updates or the systray icon, as per your instructions.
    ok.. reboot and at grub press esc. now boot into recovery mode and do the following:

first try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install libc6 --reinstall

if that didn't work.. try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -y remove libc6
    delete it from your archives:
    Code:
    cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    find the libc6 package filename:
    Code:
    ls | grep libc6
    remove the deb file:
    Code:
    sudo rm name_of_file.deb
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    now reinstall it from the feisty repos:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install libc6
    Let me know please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by walkerk View Post
    ok.. reboot and at grub press esc. now boot into recovery mode and do the following:

first try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install libc6 --reinstall
    For this step I get: Reinstallation of libc6 is not possible, since it cannot be downloaded. And yes I am online

if that didn't work.. try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -y remove libc6
    delete it from your archives:
    Code:
    cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    find the libc6 package filename:
    Code:
    ls | grep libc6
    remove the deb file:
    Code:
    sudo rm name_of_file.deb
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    now reinstall it from the feisty repos:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install libc6
    Let me know please.
    That step I'm not even going to run with -y since that removes literally everything in the Ubuntu install... so much so that apt-get wants me to type "Yes do as I say" since it removes so much that the install would be hosed beyond repair.

Beans

Hello,

Just to report on the happy ending of my kernel upgrade...

The reason why the 2.6.22-9 kernel was stopping at boot was because, for some reason, the ata_piix module was not specified in the modules file (/etc/initramfs-tools/modules, and in /etc/modules as well)

I found that one out simply by waiting for 90 seconds at boot time. The kernel is not crashed, it just timesout after 90 seconds into a busybox shell. It complained that it could not see the disk devices, which was true indeed. At that point I simply did a modprobe ata_piix , and quit the shell. Magic: the boot completed fine. That is where I simply added ata_piix to the modules, and did an update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.22--9-generic and all has been fine since then.

Thanks.

Real

Beans
    Hidden!

That step I'm not even going to run with -y since that removes literally everything in the Ubuntu install... so much so that apt-get wants me to type "Yes do as I say" since it removes so much that the install would be hosed beyond repair.
    more hosed than it already is? you are going to re-install libc6 (to 2.5 which is default in Feisty) immediately after..

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast