Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: totem won't start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

totem won't start

When I attempt to run totem I get an almost Microsoft level of quality error dialog saying "Totem could not startup. No reason."

With this output to the command line:

Code:
    ** (totem:23482): WARNING **: No GConf default video sink key and xvimagesink doesn't work
    "Being a social outcast helps you stay concentrated on the really important things, like thinking and hacking." - Eric S. Raymond

Beans

Re: totem won't start

Quote Originally Posted by sjmorgan
    When I attempt to run totem I get an almost Microsoft level of quality error dialog saying "Totem could not startup. No reason."

With this output to the command line:

Code:
    ** (totem:23482): WARNING **: No GConf default video sink key and xvimagesink doesn't work
    i have the same problem since the update. But it gives me a reason

Totem could not startup
    The video output is in use by another application. Please close other video applications, or select another video output in the Multimedia Systems Selector.
    ... and i don't understand, because the video output isn't in use

Beans

I can start totem, but all videos get played jerked!

anyone else have such a problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by rwabel
    I can start totem, but all videos get played jerked!

anyone else have such a problem?
    I am having the same issue since upgrading. It's definitely Totem as Xine works just fine with any video. I am using Totem Xine, I will try Totem GS and see if that has any issues as well.

Just tried Totem GS, not as much jerky playback (still evident in some video) but definitely some sound sync issues.
    Last edited by psoleko; July 23rd, 2005 at 01:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psoleko
    I am having the same issue since upgrading. It's definitely Totem as Xine works just fine with any video. I am using Totem Xine, I will try Totem GS and see if that has any issues as well.

Just tried Totem GS, not as much jerky playback (still evident in some video) but definitely some sound sync issues.
    I've always used Totem GS. I've tried out now Totem Xine, it does start up. But hell it takes a long while.
    Mhh audio and video isn't sync
    Last edited by rwabel; July 23rd, 2005 at 01:44 PM.

Beans

how strange...I just did a restart and totem runs perfectly and the videos open very fast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is that with totem-xine or totem-gstreamer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg
    Is that with totem-xine or totem-gstreamer?
    with both of them, I've checked them both...no difference. Anyway, does someone see an advantage for one over the other?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by rwabel
    with both of them, I've checked them both...no difference. Anyway, does someone see an advantage for one over the other?
    Gstreamer is a much newer multimedia plugin framework and does not play all media that well. Gstreamer is definitely the future of multimedia on Linux, Xine is the debian grandpa of players. Although it's a bit long in the tooth it tends to play most media, and windows media at that with the win32codecs, very well. Depending on which version of Totem you are using it uses a different backend to play the video.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psoleko
    Gstreamer is a much newer multimedia plugin framework and does not play all media that well. Gstreamer is definitely the future of multimedia on Linux, Xine is the debian grandpa of players. Although it's a bit long in the tooth it tends to play most media, and windows media at that with the win32codecs, very well. Depending on which version of Totem you are using it uses a different backend to play the video.
    thanks for the info, I just can choose between xine and gstreamer for the backend in totem. So far I haven't seen differences...but I should compare in "bad encoded" movies once

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast