View Poll Results: Are iPods killing competition and reducing consumer choice?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 41.38%
  • No

13 44.83%
  • Well... maybe...

4 13.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are iPods bad for the mp3 player market?

Beans

Re: Are iPods bad for the mp3 player market?

No, I think the ipod is acctualy good for the market. Most MP3 players that do get released are a lot better and theyre better because they are trying to overthrow apple, but they dont because of poor advertising. So bassicly, a ton of non-apple players get released that are all superior. I love it. Then you can show off your little mp3 player that costed half as much, yet has twice the features and a gorgeous ui.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Have you looked at Cowon? Not sure how easy they are to find in the UK, but they are very high quality and competitively priced. They support ogg and work fine with drag and drop to load files.

The Cowon M3 sounds like exactly what you want. Its little more then a laptop hard drive and a case. I don't think you can find larger capacity in a smaller package. Flash based memory can only hold so much currently and hard drives can only be so small.

Beans

I don't think the Ipod is bad for the market as there are a huge number of options out there. That being said I think the big problem is that the other players are not doing enough to hype their products. Apple and Steve Jobs have this way of making you excited about what they are selling and the apple products always look great and that can't be said of anyone else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exactly, it's advertising. Though one thing about HDD based mp3 players is that you damage them when you take them jogging or exercising. Another thing that always turned me off them.
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
    No, I think the ipod is acctualy good for the market. Most MP3 players that do get released are a lot better and theyre better because they are trying to overthrow apple, but they dont because of poor advertising. So bassicly, a ton of non-apple players get released that are all superior. I love it. Then you can show off your little mp3 player that costed half as much, yet has twice the features and a gorgeous ui.

'Better' is mostly an opinion. I consider myself an audio-phile, and I choose the ipod because it has always scored the highest marks for audio quality when being reviewed by audio magazines and such. As for more features than an Ipod, I don't know what other features I would want besides being able to play music. I also choose the ipod for linux friendliness, all I have to do is turn on amarok, plug in my nano, and its good to go, it really doesn't get any easier than that.

I think apple definitely sells a lot of products based on brand recognition alone, but I think they went the correct route of building that brand recognition with high quality products, original design, and intuitive interfaces, and catchy advertising.

as for the price issue, yes, they are definitely over-priced, although not nearly as much as their computers...
    Our Society has replaced Heroes with Celebrities, the quest for a well informed character with the search for a flat stomach, and substance and depth with image and personality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by tweakedenigma View Post
    I don't think the Ipod is bad for the market as there are a huge number of options out there.
    You see, the thing is, here in the UK, there aren't a huge number of alternatives. Cowons are very expensive here and very hard to get hold of. If I want a 15GB+ player it's either an iPod or Zen or a "generic" player. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so wouldn't really consider an ugly little silver box made by Asus. High street stores like Dixons only stock 2 or 3 types of HDD player now.
    Lose all your fears, they're keeping you down.
    Windows-Free since 2nd September 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12