Thread: [SOLVED] CDAT (Climate Data Analysis Tools) on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] CDAT (Climate Data Analysis Tools) on Ubuntu

I want to try out using CDAT to analyse time series climate data. I managed to do the express install following these instructions however when I try to make a plot I get an error suggesting that gplot cannot be found. If I type gplot at a normal command prompt the program is found yet I cannot use functions within CDAT that require the use of gplot. Also it might be worth noting that plotting from VCDAT (the gui frontend to CDAT) works without a problem.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using CDAT on Ubuntu? I would appreciate any pointers on how to get it running smoothly. Thanks.

Beans

Re: CDAT (Climate Data Analysis Tools) on Ubuntu

Don't know about CDAT, but the Norwegian Meteorological Institute just recently open sourced their visualization software:
    http://met.no/diana/
    All the usual formats aren't available yet, but other than that, it's got a lot of good features.

Beans

The web-side says that netcdf will be supported by Diana in Spring 2007. Do you know if that's happened already? (not Spring, the netcdf support

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the link it looks quite interesting. I also require netcdf support however I was looking for information specific to CDAT as the other researchers working on the same project as me are using CDAT on our cluster. I was really looking for information on how to get that set up on my personal machine. I'm guessing not many people do that though!

Beans
    Distro

Well, I'm guessing there aren't many CDAT users out there but since I solved my problem I thought I would share the (simple) solution. It turns out that all I needed to do was add the CDAT bin directory to my path! Doing this gave me a fully functioning CDAT install. Also just in case anyone is wondering CDAT-4.0 does not seem to play nice with Ubuntu however version 4.1 works very well!

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] CDAT (Climate Data Analysis Tools) on Ubuntu

Hi,

I am trying to install CDAT 4.3 on ubuntu 8 , but the installation is not working.

Has anyone had success on that ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by always.arvind View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to install CDAT 4.3 on ubuntu 8 , but the installation is not working.

8.04 or the recently relased 8.10?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by always.arvind View Post
    Hi,

I just got CDAT 5.0.0 built on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, though it's not yet fully functioning. What problem are you having?

Also, if you haven't already, check the Ubuntu section at http://www2-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cdat/down...ll-environment.
    I had to also install patch and libpng-dev from the Ubuntu server.
    The Python module bz2 mysteriously did not appear in the dyn-load directory; I copied it from the standard Ubuntu Python directory since it was the same version of Python.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ALittleSlow View Post
    I just got CDAT 5.0.0 built on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, though it's not yet fully functioning. What problem are you having?

Also, if you haven't already, check the Ubuntu section at http://www2-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cdat/down...ll-environment.
    I had to also install patch and libpng-dev from the Ubuntu server.
    The Python module bz2 mysteriously did not appear in the dyn-load directory; I copied it from the standard Ubuntu Python directory since it was the same version of Python.
    hei

I am really stuck and i need a step by step guide. the guides at pcdmi are very ambiguous. I have already set the environments and downloaded the 5.o to a folder 5.0.0 which is on my home dir. I am trying to install to a new directory cdat5 and cdat_ext on home but i keep getting these errors:

jjunju@ubuntu:~/5.0.0$ ./configure --prefix=/home/jjunju/cdat5 --with-externals=/home/jjunju/cdat_ex --with-python=/usr/share/doc/Python --enable-ioapi --with-opendap --disable-netpbm
    show_svn.c: In function 'main':
    show_svn.c:14: warning: format '%s' expects type 'char *', but argument 3 has type 'char (*)[50]'
    checking for g++... no
    checking for c++... no
    checking for gpp... no
    checking for aCC... no
    checking for CC... no
    checking for cxx... no
    checking for cc++... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    checking for FCC... no
    checking for KCC... no
    checking for RCC... no
    checking for xlC_r... no
    checking for xlC... no
    checking for C++ compiler default output file name...
    configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.
    jjunju@ubuntu:~/5.0.0$
    Last edited by jjunju; March 22nd, 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Ubuntu section on the pcmdi site lists the packages required to build cdat..
    From your output it is pretty clear you do not have some of these installed.
    Fire up synaptic and search for the packages listed and install them one by one. Then try to build......
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds