View Poll Results: what are you a part of ? how do you define this relationship between linux users?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • A way of life

14 37.84%
  • A cult

7 18.92%
  • A religion

6 16.22%
  • A brotherhood/family

7 18.92%
  • A community

24 64.86%
  • some relationships cant be defined!

7 18.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux? A way of life? cult? religion? brotherhood/family ? or just a community?

Beans
    Hidden!

linux? A way of life? cult? religion? brotherhood/family ? or just a community?

Well, when I first used linux about 6 years ago.... I tried it out and being a newbie... chose the then-worshipped windows as my primary OS and stuck with it for a long long time. I liked it and in someways still think that Windows, under proper safeguards/precautions is a good operating system (dont get me wrong... Im a 100% linux user and I think that pretty much sums up where my loyalty stands). While using windows, I always read news about how big linux would be someday and how much it has advanced in the recent years. And believe it or not...every single linux-related news had something to say about how strong, closely-knit and passionate the linux community is and as to how quickly this community has adapted a cult/religion like-following.
    And today, myself being a linux user...if you ask me... I just dont know how to put-it... DAMN! so many people from so many different countries whom i did not know.. just came forward in not just helping me install the OS but have patiently put-up with my sometimes silly-fundamental questions and took time off to answer it as well. Where else could you find such a group? wow..... I really cant find words to show my gratitude to you guys (for now lemme say thanks!) and I am proud to be a part of this............ cult?religion? brotherhood/family? community?

What am i a part of.... how would you term this relationship?
    Last edited by byen; July 22nd, 2005 at 03:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: linux? A way of life? cult? religion? brotherhood/family ? or just a community?

all of the above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: linux? A way of life? cult? religion? brotherhood/family ? or just a community?

A way of life!

When I die I want Tux on my gravestone....
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans

Look at my sig for the answer.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Linux is like most things. It's what _you_ make it.
    Good and bad.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans

Linux is 42, enough said
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans
    Hidden!

more good than bad I Bet! and its good because you got someone watching your back whenever need be.... kinda kool! The only other group that comes close to this behavior might be the hated-AMWAY group....and though I would not dare put us on the same platform as them.... the passion is close... though one is delusional and the other is practical!
    Last edited by byen; July 22nd, 2005 at 04:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux is choice.

Windows is a perverbial dictatorship.

And yes, I think it is just a community of people with something in common that we believe in, maybe for our own reasons, but we all want to make linux and OSS better.

edit: wrote one thing... thought another
    Last edited by DarthBagel; July 22nd, 2005 at 04:41 AM.

Linux is freedom.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is free software, in the sense of "not-proprietary."
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast