Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full Screen Magnification with Compiz Plugin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Full Screen Magnification with Compiz Plugin

I see from your signature that you're a 'low vision user' as am I. I suspect you'll agree that this one plugin has taken away the one barrier for visually impaired users of Ubuntu and other distros (of course that doesn't count for users who are so visually impaired that they need speech, they're still stuck... ...for now).

I am absolutely thrilled, and you mentioned the speed - the performance of ezoom is far, far better than any commercial screen magnifier for windows, I'm sure this is because of the hardware acceleration, and the great base provided by Compiz-Fusion. When the text cursor following is added, it will be complete in my eyes (no pun intended).

Once again Kristian great work!
    Try the best game since Tetris - http://slingshot.wikispot.org/
    Downloads available for Ubuntu (including derivatives), other Linux and Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I agree with the others here, Kristian. I just installed Compiz Fusion today, and am beginning to work with the ezoom plugin. It is amazing!!

Thank you for the work you've put into this, and are putting into it.
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Beans
    Distro

Okay...I must reiterate on this...This is simply amazing. It beats some other commercial magnifiers...out of the water. I cant' believe how much faster my system runs with this magnifier.

One question...Is there a way to keep the pointer centered?

Thanks so much again for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've been away for a week so a little slow on the replies, but here goes:

First; thanks for the support

1) how goes the dual monitor support?
    Currently ezoom will treat each head separately. It is a small matter to treat them as one, if that is wanted.

I've been pondering combining what we do with the clone plugin (which, for those who don't know, is a way to display the same output on two heads) with ezoom; That would mean having one head always zoomed out, displaying the desktop, while the other can be used to zoom. Sort of using the second head as a map.

This is beyond the scope of the current project, however. And I'm not sure how useful it will be.

2) zoom specific windows?
    I take it you already discovered this? Either way I believe <Super>R is the default binding to fit the zoom level to the window. It works, if I may say so my self, quite well.

One question...Is there a way to keep the pointer centered?
    Not currently. I should be able to implement this quite easily, however, as it's just a matter of using the existing mouse panning code and dynamically increasing the margins so we're left with 1x1 pixel in the middle where the mouse can "move" before the zoom area pans. Or similar. Point being that the mechanism for implementing this already exist.

Would it be desirable to "block" the cursor from leaving the center when you reach the edges too? This is technically not easy without the same nasty method you see with "restrain cursor": Moving the cursor when it moves outside the specified area.

I'm curious about what settings you choose to use. Specially those who are actually visually impaired, so far much of my user base have been user with good eyesight. Or any sort of tweaks.

I've already received a request for combining the lock/unlock bindings into a single toggle binding, which makes perfect sense and will be implemented tonight or tomorrow. Anything you feel is missing or could be better would be a great help. However small, or big.

Beans
    Distro

Well...I have all of the default settings, except that I enabled the option to scale the mouse pointer. This one is a great help to me as I'd be lost without the enlarged mouse pointer.

I will say one thing: this beats ZoomText out of the water. Things ran slower while ZoomText was running, but with the eZoom plugin, my computer runs just as well as if nothing was being used. It is simply amazing.

Oh...the reason why I asked about a centered pointer is that sometimes if the cursor is at the sides or the top/bottom of the screen, I sometimes have trouble finding it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by RKCole View Post
    Well...I have all of the default settings, except that I enabled the option to scale the mouse pointer. This one is a great help to me as I'd be lost without the enlarged mouse pointer.

I will say one thing: this beats ZoomText out of the water. Things ran slower while ZoomText was running, but with the eZoom plugin, my computer runs just as well as if nothing was being used. It is simply amazing.

Oh...the reason why I asked about a centered pointer is that sometimes if the cursor is at the sides or the top/bottom of the screen, I sometimes have trouble finding it.
    Ah, there is a binding to center it but I haven't actually tested this with "sync mouse" turned on, when you mention it. The water plugin does have that "wave" function that helps you locate a mouse, but I'm not a big fan of it myself (specially since it requires fragment_program).

How are you (anyone reading this) finding the annoyance of the disappearing cursor if you enabled scaled cursor, hide original cursor and disable "mouse sync"? Personally I find that the effect you get with those options makes the temporary disappearing cursors a burden I can bare, but I'm curious about how serious others consider this issue?

Beans
    Distro

I have the options set to sync the mouse pointer and to scale it, but I have the option for hiding the pointer disabled. I don't know...I am just used to using the mouse pointer to keep track of where I'm at while reading; I guess its presence is something I've gotten used to ever since I started using a screen magnifier Also..at one point the mouse pointer disappeared permanently when I zoomed out completely. I didn't know how to get ti back.

I actually just htought of something..not related to these options. It's not too important to me anymore, though, but I am just curious.

When I used Windows (ZoomText), there was an option for a horizontal split-screen magnification where the bottom portion of the screen would be regular size and the top half would be magnified. This used to be my default setup, but when I came to Linux I began to love full-screen magnification. I don't really know why I never used it before now. I was just curious as to whether or not a split screen magnification setup was possible, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by RKCole View Post
    I have the options set to sync the mouse pointer and to scale it, but I have the option for hiding the pointer disabled. I don't know...I am just used to using the mouse pointer to keep track of where I'm at while reading; I guess its presence is something I've gotten used to ever since I started using a screen magnifier Also..at one point the mouse pointer disappeared permanently when I zoomed out completely. I didn't know how to get ti back.
    This is, unfortunately something that has been known to happen due to XFixes rather flawed implementation, I've never seen it myself though. I do, however, have invisible cursors while firefox loads (which would otherwise cause an animated cursor).

I actually just htought of something..not related to these options. It's not too important to me anymore, though, but I am just curious.

When I used Windows (ZoomText), there was an option for a horizontal split-screen magnification where the bottom portion of the screen would be regular size and the top half would be magnified. This used to be my default setup, but when I came to Linux I began to love full-screen magnification. I don't really know why I never used it before now. I was just curious as to whether or not a split screen magnification setup was possible, though.
    This is technically possible, but would fit under what I mentioned earlier with regards to multihead. You'd simply set compiz up so it thought one monitor was two (or the plugin could do it for you, this is fairly trivial).

Beans

hi guys.
    i am on gutsy and have the latest update. i enabled ezoom but i can't get it to accept input while zoomed. in fact it behaves almost exactly like the older zoom plugin. should i be doing something to enable input.

also none of the shortcut like <super>+V etc work.
    Last edited by kakashi; August 13th, 2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: more info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi View Post
    hi guys.
    i am on gutsy and have the latest update. i enabled ezoom but i can't get it to accept input while zoomed. in fact it behaves almost exactly like the older zoom plugin. should i be doing something to enable input.

also none of the shortcut like <super>+V etc work.
    Are you sure it is enabled, and not the original desktop zoom?

The way this works is that you never have to technically do anything to enable input; input is enabled by default. The original desktop zoom plugin takes step to DISABLE input, steps that are not taken in ezoom (we do, however, apply some tricks to emulate input redirection).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast