Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Next Release of Ubuntu LTS Announced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Next Release of Ubuntu LTS Announced

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. Although the common userspace driver API proposed for kernel 2.6.23 could very well be a big step towards what I proposed in my earlier post about consistancy across distros.
    I'd welcome that, too, and it'd be a better solution than Ubuntu becoming the standard.

psyopper: That sounds like great news! Having a coherent base between the distributions would be a great thing. Add a universal package format and we'll be really close to what Windows users expect from an OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by salsafyren View Post
    I wonder why Shuttleworth deliberately increases the workload on the developers: every second year, a 5 year supported release will emerge. When 8.04 will be released, Ubuntu has to support:

Next time an LTS will be released they will have to support 5 versions. That's too much IMHO.

Ubuntu has to support all versions no matter how many people are using them.
    Not quite true. I'm sitting in Matt Zimmerman's Keynote right now and this discussion is happening as I type. Disregarding the LTS releases, there are only three supported releases at a time. As the newest one comes in the oldest one drops off.

It's two different management cycles, one cycle for the LTS releases (only two at a time), and the regular releases (only 3 at a time)

Most of the management support comes from keeping the repos updated. Build it once and mirror it to the various distros is all it should take, from the kernel to The GIMP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
    Not quite true. I'm sitting in Matt Zimmerman's Keynote right now and this discussion is happening as I type. Disregarding the LTS releases, there are only three supported releases at a time. As the newest one comes in the oldest one drops off.

It's two different management cycles, one cycle for the LTS releases (only two at a time), and the regular releases (only 3 at a time)

Most of the management support comes from keeping the repos updated. Build it once and mirror it to the various distros is all it should take, from the kernel to The GIMP.
    I think you are mistaken.

LTS releases are supported 3 years on the desktop, 5 years on the server.

So if you add an LTS release every two years, you'll have to support a lot of LTS releases in the end.

However, if Ubuntu can handle it, everybody wins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So is there any real reason for the desktop user to stick with an LTS, rather then update with the normal six month release?
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not particularly. They may not want every six month release since it can be a hassle for a lot of users to deal with upgrades like that twice a year. A lot of people will probably prefer to upgrade once a year, but even every 2 years isn't bad for those who don't want to deal with problems associated with upgrading.
    I don't imagine a desktop user would want more than the 3 year support since after that length of time, an upgrade is probably in order.

Beans

I think Linux would need a slightly unified face to appeal to the masses. Now whether I think Linux should spread to the average user is a different story. The average user isn't going to get any smarter, and I don't want the distros to get dumber.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you're interested in what the support cycle looks like, there's a good picture of the slide from UbuntuLive that shows it in a nice logical fashion. Thanks to Phoronix for taking this shot and sharing it with the rest of us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I suppose I'll hold off and stick with dapper lts till April 08 then!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My question is though, why was 6.06 chosen to be the first LTS? What made it so much better than the previous release or the next release? Was 6.06 always planned to be the first LTS?
    Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by Quillz View Post
    My question is though, why was 6.06 chosen to be the first LTS? What made it so much better than the previous release or the next release? Was 6.06 always planned to be the first LTS?
    I think it was because prior to 6.06 the Ubuntu project was still very young and still getting its feet on the ground. Mark probably figured that Ubuntu had reached a point where it could handle it.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234