Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting serious about programming: Recommendations?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Getting serious about programming: Recommendations?

Hi all.

After having dabbled in programming/hacking for some time (most of the time I had was allocated to other needs), I now find myself able to afford the time to pursue one of my lifelong passions to the fullest.

So now I need some real advice. Where should I start? (my current status: I have some minor experience with Python, C/C++, XML, HTML) What IDE's do you recommend (must be easy on the eyes, as I plan to spend long hours at the keyboard)? Libraries, etc?

My interest is primarily directed towards development/streamlining/modularization of applications/libraries for GNOME and GNU/Linux in general, with the hope of eventually being able to give back to the community.

Any recommendations for serious study would be most appreciated.

-- UDSF | Tango Desktop Project --

-- openSUSE 11.3 / Ubuntu 10.04 --

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Getting serious about programming: Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter
    So now I need some real advice. Where should I start? (my current status: I have some minor experience with Python, C/C++, XML, HTML) What IDE's do you recommend (must be easy on the eyes, as I plan to spend long hours at the keyboard)? Libraries, etc?
    The best place to start depends on what you want to do - try to think of something that will interest you, and go from there.

A good way to start would be to find an project (application, etc) that you have an interest in, and wouldn't mind working to improve. Next ask the developers on the mailing list (or IRC, if it has a channel) if there are any "low hanging fruit" - which are things they think shouldn't be too hard for someone unfamiliar with the code of the project to work on, which will let you gain an understanding of how the application is written. If you're serious about helping, most developers are only too happy to help you get started and give you pointers on how to go about things.

My interest is primarily directed towards development/streamlining/modularization of applications/libraries for GNOME and GNU/Linux in general, with the hope of eventually being able to give back to the community.
    Particular to Gnome a couple of pages that might interest you:
    General helping out with gnome - http://live.gnome.org/JoinGnome
    "Gnome Love" - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove
    "Gnome Love" bugs (some low hanging fruit) - http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/ke...ord=gnome-love
    How to start developing for Gnome - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove/HowToStart/

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for those links, they should come in very useful.

As for what I want to do. My current idea was to start small (example: maybe help bring the GNOME-games up to standard with the rest of the UI-graphical selection of cards, etc. thumnails and short descriptions of the different games in a selection dialog -and thats just the general UI), thewn move on to bigger challenges such as integrating the existing media apps (modularization) into a more streamlined 'media center' so to speak. My main interests have always been Interface design/usability (from mundane enhancements all the way to full blown window management).

Beans

While it sounds like you want to dive right into application writing, if you want to learn the true fundamentals of programming, I recommend you start with a book like Structure and Intepretation of Computer Programs, available free online.

Also, taking a class at a local college couldn't hurt. Having a good foundation is important to write good programs. There's more to programming than just knowing the syntax and semantics of a language.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just googled it. Looks like a rather good read. I've been looking into taking some courses again, just have to wait for them to start up. You guys are just a wellspring of useful information

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter
    Hi all.

What IDE's do you recommend (must be easy on the eyes, as I plan to spend long hours at the keyboard)?
    Hi,

I think Anjuta is a good choice, particularly if you want to develop gnome applications

Beans

i'd recommend you get very good with the command line and a nice editor right away instead of using an ide. just something you might want to look into.

i also agree with lord hunter, take a some classes so you know what's actually going on instead of just writing code. learn how the architecture, compiler, operating system that you're using effect your program and you'll write better code.

i recommend you check out the book object oriented software construction by bertrand meyer as well. those two books will give you a very very good grounding and you'll be much better off than 80% of the idiot CS majors i have to put up with from the very start.

Beans

Question Re: Getting serious about programming: Recommendations?

Hi I am in a similar sitituation as dark matter and also want to get more serious about my programming and go beyond my current capabilities. However I want to find out more about hardware & assembly language because it seems, to me at least, that I lack a lot of knowledge in this area.

I want to find out more about CPU's, ISA's and how high level programming functions become assembly language. I was wondering if anyone knew a good book or site on the subject, I've been told that the Intel 32bit Architecture is a good place to start but I do want to move on to other architectures in the future. Any advice is appreciated and thanks a lot in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Abd-al-Karim
    Hi I am in a similar sitituation as dark matter and also want to get more serious about my programming and go beyond my current capabilities. However I want to find out more about hardware & assembly language because it seems, to me at least, that I lack a lot of knowledge in this area.

I want to find out more about CPU's, ISA's and how high level programming functions become assembly language. I was wondering if anyone knew a good book or site on the subject, I've been told that the Intel 32bit Architecture is a good place to start but I do want to move on to other architectures in the future. Any advice is appreciated and thanks a lot in advance.
    This is one of the better books on assembly under Linux:
    http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/pgubook/

It uses AT&T syntax. Your as aseembler should work just fine.

Paul Carter has a book that uses Intel syntax:
    http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/

Get nasm to compile these examples.

Beans

Learning assembly on x86 is generally an exercise in pain, because IA-32 assembly is crap.

Most schools teach assembly / machine-language on just about any other processor, because it's so much eaiser.

And if you want to learn about hardware, there are better ways to do it than learning assembly. I'm not knocking the value of knowing assembly, but rather, I'm not sure it's the best way to learn want to learn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast