0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas and Plans for Improving Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Poor documentation on the main website should be addressed

Quote Originally Posted by dmann
    There isn't any documentation that I can find on any of those pages that tell you how to install the software. Even the live cd references don't tell you what you should expect, common problems, etc.
    See attached screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bocmaxima
    If you don't know how to download and iburn an ISO, you shouldnt be installing a new OS. If you dont know how to get your comp to boot from the CDROM, you shouldnt be installing a new OS. If these are the problems someone installing Linux is facing, then they probably need to learn about computing conventions before they start installing OS's (OSes?) will nilly.
    While I agree with your assessment, it never hurts to give people instructions that they may find helpful.

When I first installed a Linux distro, I had no idea what an ISO was or how to burn it. I did a quick Google search and found the instructions (which were not difficult to follow at all), but it can't hurt to save someone a search, right?

If this is true, why does Best Buy here in the USA sell upgrade versions of Windows XP to the general public?
    Because people upgrade with the CD instead of installing it from scratch. Also, "the general public" includes a lot of people--not all of them are novices. In fact, I know of only one person (out of all my co-workers, friends, relatives) who has bought a legitimate copy of Windows, and she didn't install it--she used it to upgrade Windows ME. She was computer-savvy enough to work out the post-upgrade kinks, too. My mother would not be able to do this.

Next is the chicken and the egg problem: if I don't know how to boot from a cd, I shouldn't install a new OS. If I never install a new OS, when will I learn to boot from a CD? Your logic doesn't make sense (no offense).
    It's obviously not a chicken and egg problem, as everyone here has, at some point, learned to boot a CD.

We can't assume that because someone has never installed an OS before that they shouldn't install Ubuntu. There is no universal "this is the operating system you should install before all others" mantra.
    No, but if they can't figure out how to burn an ISO, they're going to have a hell of a time doing something like ndiswrapper or even using Automatix (which is fairly simple).
    Last edited by aysiu; July 3rd, 2006 at 06:17 PM.

Beans

Where in your screenshots is the install document referenced? Assuming you went to the main website first, and you don't know where the document is, how many clicks did it take you to find it?

Now look at my screenshots:

main page

one click later....

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Where in your screenshots is the install document referenced? Assuming you went to the main website first, and you don't know where the document is, how many clicks did it take you to find it?
    It really shouldn't be a question of clicks. If you're too stupid to google something then operating systems really aren't your cup of tea (or ubuntu, for that matter). But let's see... from the main website it took me 2 clicks to get to a wealth of information (the forums) and in the forums there are at the very least, hundreds of guides to do just about everything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    While I agree with your assessment, it never hurts to give people instructions that they may find helpful.

When I first installed a Linux distro, I had no idea what an ISO was or how to burn it. I did a quick Google search and found the instructions (which were not difficult to follow at all), but it can't hurt to save someone a search, right?
    I agree. I didn't mean to come off as not wanting to help, I am just saying that theres a cutoff point to me. I am not going to go up to my grandmother and give her a copy of Ubuntu and go "Check this out, its so simple!", however I might to a friend. Doesnt mean I wouldnt help my grandma if she was interested.

Beans

"Because people upgrade with the CD instead of installing it from scratch."

True.

You said: "It's obviously not a chicken and egg problem, as everyone here has, at some point, learned to boot a CD."

Someone else said: "If you dont know how to get your comp to boot from the CDROM, you shouldnt be installing a new OS."

Let me ask you this: what prompted you and 99% of people in the world to learn to boot from a cd if it wasn't to install an operating system?

Secondly, why do you think Debian and Fedora felt if was important give people information about BIOS and boot device selection?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rum and monkey
    from the main website it took me 2 clicks to get to a wealth of information (the forums) and in the forums there are at the very least, hundreds of guides to do just about everything.

Not only that, but using the forums as a guide is not only better, because not all problems are in the same context (eg Compiz on ATI or nVidia), but it also follows the "Ubuntu Principles" as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rum and monkey
    It really shouldn't be a question of clicks. If you're too stupid to google something then operating systems really aren't your cup of tea (or ubuntu, for that matter). But let's see... from the main website it took me 2 clicks to get to a wealth of information (the forums) and in the forums there are at the very least, hundreds of guides to do just about everything.

Since creating a hyperlink is pretty easy, can you give a good reason why _NOT_ to link this document to the download page?

Do you think that other distros are in error for puting a link right in front of you on their website with no searching needed?

Dan

Beans

"Because people upgrade with the CD instead of installing it from scratch."

True.

You said: "It's obviously not a chicken and egg problem, as everyone here has, at some point, learned to boot a CD."

Someone else said: "If you dont know how to get your comp to boot from the CDROM, you shouldnt be installing a new OS."

Let me ask you this: what prompted you and 99% of people in the world to learn to boot from a cd if it wasn't to install an operating system?

Secondly, why do you think Debian and Fedora felt if was important give people information about BIOS and boot device selection?

Actually, when installing Ubuntu I had a problem with the install hanging. I cleared it up in 15 minutes, by posting in the forums.

Like I just posted before, the forums give you contextual feedback that technical documentation could never attain.

Really, I dont see your problem outside of the fact that the Ubuntu site doesnt have what you want in the format you want it and where you want it.
    Last edited by bocmaxima; July 3rd, 2006 at 06:42 PM.

Beans

Why is it that most people seem to think that it's illogical to have this information right on the download page or off the main desktop/server description page?

It's almost like people are defending/creating reasons why _NOT_ to have this information available right there.

to download the software you pretty much need to be on the download page - if you are there already and you can infer someone is planning on downloading the software, doesn't it just _MAKE_SENSE_ to put the link there?

I can't believe that most of you guys didn't just say "good idea".

Dan

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast