View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas and Plans for Improving Ubuntu Documentation

Beans

Re: Poor documentation on the main website should be addressed

I've created a new software app. You want to use it.

Would you rather that

A. I provide you with a link to the document from the same place that you download the software

or

B. I assume you will search my website to find it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmann
    Since creating a hyperlink is pretty easy, can you give a good reason why _NOT_ to link this document to the download page?

Do you think that other distros are in error for puting a link right in front of you on their website with no searching needed?

It's not an extremely good reason, but there's really no need for it. You guys are really underestimating the skill of some of the kids out there today. Please don't use the argument "what about the rest of the kids?". The rest of the kids really don't care about operating systems and such, they're perfectly happy using windows to frag the hell out of people.

No, I don't, but as I said before in my earlier post:
    How many kids (young people) experiment with operating systems? they don't just automatically know how to do it - they have to learn some where. we take for granted how this works because we've done it before. Don't take that for granted.
    Not many, but I'm one of them (just turned 14 two days ago) and I found the install process amazingly easy. Dual booting (especially from a USB harddrive)- that's another story, but the main process was way simpler than I expected. I actually prefer the main website having no extremely easy to get documentation. I've learned so much from just reading things on the forum, and doing various google searches. Extraneous (sp?) information is really your friend, follow a random link for a bit and you'll end up with something extremely useful at some point. I've learned more in 4 days with this than in my entire life with windows.
    It's (or atleast it seems to be) more useful in the long run to find the information yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hi dmann,

you have obviously gone to a lot of time and trouble putting pen to paper so to speak, why not end the thread and then take the time to make a contribution to the wiki that would benefit all future newcomers. Doing is always better than complaining.

best regards keith

Beans

Why is it that most people seem to think that it's illogical to have this information right on the download page or off the main desktop/server description page?

It's almost like people are defending/creating reasons why _NOT_ to have this information available right there.

to download the software you pretty much need to be on the download page - if you are there already and you can infer someone is planning on downloading the software, doesn't it just _MAKE_SENSE_ to put the link there?

I can't believe that most of you guys didn't just say "good idea".

Dan

I think its because its not that big of an issue, really.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bocmaxima
    I think its because its not that big of an issue, really.

I can't believe you are saying that. This is like the twilight zone. How can this not be a big issue? Canonical is trying to be professional with this distro. This type of thing is just imho common sense.

To answer the other person's question:

I would love to change it - but I don't want to change the wiki, that's the point, I want the main site changed.

The main website doesn't seem to have a suggestion box.

I don't know who to email regarding this - I was hoping that one of the admins would read this and make the change.

Lastly, because i care about linux. Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted any time at all.

And, I have contributed documentation in the past, for breezy.

Beans

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, either. Also, I think canonical is doing a pretty damn good job for everything being free on here.

Beans

I can't believe you are saying that. This is like the twilight zone. How can this not be a big issue? Canonical is trying to be professional with this distro. This type of thing is just imho common sense.
    So they arent professional because the installation docs arent on the download page, they are click away?

I think it is a good idea, but I also think youre blowing it out of proportion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bocmaxima
    So they arent professional because the installation docs arent on the download page, they are click away?

I think it is a good idea, but I also think youre blowing it out of proportion.

Well, we'll agree to disagree.

I emailed canonical and someone on the documentationt team about it. I hope it gets fixed but I don't know if the email addresses I sent to are active.

I am surprised at the reaction I got from the forum here. I truly am. I was trying to be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is one of the most engaging threads I've read in a while. LOL at aysiu's anecdote
    about the technical writer's instruction on burning an image. I wonder where that writer
    is now (eight times????).

Canonical, Ltd. has a link at the bottom of the ubuntu.com page , and guess
    what? There is a Contact tab at their page right there where you would expect it to
    be.

I admit that I am no novice, but I expect, and it seems logical to me, to find Installation
    instructions associated with the Download instructions, and there certainly is a
    link on the ubuntu.com Download page for Release Notes, which
    includes, among other things, minimum suggested configurations. Still, it IS several
    levels down, and still does not have a link to detailed installation instructions.

As to what level of expertise is required to install an OS, I don't think that is
    a question that has a definitive answer, and one that certainly will not be resolved here.
    (I think aysiu has written about the difference between Computer Science
    and Computer Literacy.) I would think it is at least common courtesy for a major
    proponent like ubuntu.com to expect that some users are less skilled than
    others, and to provide installation information. If I were me (and I'm thinking, therefore
    I must be) I would take my own advice, and aysiu's, and forward this
    comment to Canonical.
    Last edited by tonyr; July 3rd, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
    Dell Inspiron 2650 w/RT2500 wifi
    and a Really Old Desktop machine

Beans

Bravo tonyr, you followed my point exactly and you engaged me with the spirit I expected of this community.

I did end up following the link to canonical and emailed them at their contact address.

Thank you for replying.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr
    This is one of the most engaging threads I've read in a while. LOL at aysiu's anecdote
    about the technical writer's instruction on burning an image. I wonder where that writer
    is now (eight times????).

Canonical, Ltd. has a link at the bottom of the ubuntu.com page , and guess
    what? There is a Contact tab at their page right there where you would expect it to
    be.

I admit that I am no novice, but I expect, and it seems logical to me, to find Installation
    instructions associated with the Download instructions, and there certainly is a
    link on the ubuntu.com Download page for Release Notes, which
    includes, among other things, minimum suggested configurations. Still, it IS several
    levels down, and still does not have a link to detailed installation instructions.

As to what level of expertise is required to install an OS, I don't think that is
    a question that has a definitive answer, and one that certainly will not be resolved here.
    (I think aysiu has written abiut the difference between Computer Science
    and Computer Literacy) I would think it is at least common courtesy for a major
    proponent like ubuntu.com to expect that some users are less skilled than
    others, and to provide installation information. If I were me (and I'm thinking, therefore
    I must be) I would take my own advice, and aysiu's, and forward this
    comment to Canonical.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast