Thread: [SOLVED] Inkscape-integration into LyX

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

[SOLVED] Inkscape-integration into LyX

I want to be able to insert Inkscape-SVG-files directly into LyX. The goal is that LyX converts the SVG via an external converter into PNG for the preview and into PDF for the pdflatex-compilation. So I only have to store my SVG-files.

I followed this tutorial in the LyX-Wiki: wiki.lyx.org/Tips/UseInkscapeSVGImages

The preview is working, but the quality of my graphics in the pdf-file is very bad. It looks like LyX uses the PNG-file for the pdflatex-compilation. I also checked the temporary files in the /tmp/-folder and there was no pdf-file of the image. So LyX doesn't use the converter SVG->PDF. The converter itself (via inkcape-export) works in the shell... The same when I try SVG->EPS->PDF (with inkscape and epstopdf)

Currently I use LyX 1.4.3 and Inkscape 0.45.

I don't know what to do now. Anyone an idea?

Beans

Re: Inkscape-integration into LyX

Quote Originally Posted by xilix View Post
    I want to be able to insert Inkscape-SVG-files directly into LyX. The goal is that LyX converts the SVG via an external converter into PNG for the preview and into PDF for the pdflatex-compilation. So I only have to store my SVG-files.

I followed this tutorial in the LyX-Wiki: wiki.lyx.org/Tips/UseInkscapeSVGImages

The preview is working, but the quality of my graphics in the pdf-file is very bad. It looks like LyX uses the PNG-file for the pdflatex-compilation. I also checked the temporary files in the /tmp/-folder and there was no pdf-file of the image. So LyX doesn't use the converter SVG->PDF. The converter itself (via inkcape-export) works in the shell... The same when I try SVG->EPS->PDF (with inkscape and epstopdf)

Currently I use LyX 1.4.3 and Inkscape 0.45.

I don't know what to do now. Anyone an idea?

kjnsdfasdfasdf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In my experience lyx (and tex) handle eps files best. Have you tried exporting your inkscape picture to eps (use the save as function)?
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Of course that works. But pdflatex cannot handle eps-files. So they are converted into pdf-files. But that would not be a problem, because it works automatically.
    I want to insert SVG-Files into LyX because then I can click on "Edit" in the Image-Dialogue an the SVG-File will be opened in Inkscape. I can edit it and just save ist. All changes will be automatically inserted in LyX. That would be very convenient. But it doesn't work with the pdflatex-export.

Beans

Pdflatex can use .png files directly. I have always had good results with them.

In order to use them, it may be necessary to put the following line in the preamble:

\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png}

HTH,
    Typhoon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
    Pdflatex can use .png files directly. I have always had good results with them.

In order to use them, it may be necessary to put the following line in the preamble:

\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png}

HTH,
    Typhoon
    OK, but I think it's a good principle to use vector-graphics if you already have them. This would be the last option I would choose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Couple of suggestions:

1) Try the 1.5 version for lyx and see if there is an improvement. I have debs elsewhere in the subforum.

2) I read the user documentation (embedded objects) and there is a claim in there that there is not yet an adequate svg--> pdf converter. If you feel otherwise it may be worth taking this up with the developers on the lyx-devel mailing list. The people there are pretty approachable.
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Smile Re: Inkscape-integration into LyX

Quote Originally Posted by kleeman View Post
    Couple of suggestions:

1) Try the 1.5 version for lyx and see if there is an improvement. I have debs elsewhere in the subforum.
    Thank you very much. Now I've solved it. I don't really know if it works only with LyX 1.5.0. But it works.

Basically I followed the LyX-Wiki (replace EPS with PDF). But it only worked when I activated the checkbox before "vector-format" (or something like that. It is german) in the preferences under "file-format - SVG".

Quote Originally Posted by kleeman View Post
    2) I read the user documentation (embedded objects) and there is a claim in there that there is not yet an adequate svg--> pdf converter. If you feel otherwise it may be worth taking this up with the developers on the lyx-devel mailing list. The people there are pretty approachable.
    IMHO the Inkscape pdf-export is OK...

Now my LyX rocks...