Thread: Urls

Beans

Urls

I read in issue 2 that someone would like the links but the editor said that they can be too long...I suggest trying out tinryurl.com to convert all the urls to nice short ones.

Re: Urls

I also suggested this to our editor, but he refuses to use them, as we could be redirecting people to some sort of inappropriate site (would wed o that?). Another option someone suggested was to use a link at the bottom of the page, linking to a page with all the link references on a page, and the appropriate links, but again, that was refused. I'm sure if there was enough demand he would change it, butfor now, we are stuck with long links, and click heres.

Beans

If for some reason the tinyurl expired and somebody else got given that address for a inappropriate site we would be blamed for providing the address therefore we could use subdomains e.g. google.fullcirclemagazine.org for google.com (but of course it would have to be a long domain to make it worth using)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

as Sampbar says: it's too risky that in the future someone may hijack the TinyUrl's and make us look bad. Or if TinyUrl's suddenly got taken over by a new owner who used/displayed inappropriate content.

Also, from the viewpoint of the person who owns the site/file: it's better to know where your visitors are coming from. TinyUrl is just a redirect and would give no direct answer to where your new visitors came from without a trace back.
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans

I can understand the risk factor....I can say that I like the idea of a url being printed within the story and have a page (or even half page) at the end of the issue containing all the urls for that issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I propose a solution to the TinyURL hijackers: it's our own TinyURL type service. And yes, it does work. For example: here's a link to these forums - http://url.fullcirclemagazine.org/c7bd6f

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    as Sampbar says: it's too risky that in the future someone may hijack the TinyUrl's and make us look bad. Or if TinyUrl's suddenly got taken over by a new owner who used/displayed inappropriate content.

Also, from the viewpoint of the person who owns the site/file: it's better to know where your visitors are coming from. TinyUrl is just a redirect and would give no direct answer to where your new visitors came from without a trace back.