Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing Documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cool Re: Internet Connection Sharing Documentation

I keep trying to find what I need but but get confused by lack of details or my lack of hard networking background.
    I need to connect wireless ubuntu 8.04 to x box 360 so i have installed fire starter and setup but It will not connect to 360 and some places it says firestarter has the dchp that i need and what is the need for the master? other places it says to set dchp range. is that the input to firestarter or output? this the only area I have found windows to be easier
    to bridge or ics otherwise Ubuntu seems as good or better than windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Internet Connection Sharing Documentation

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln32 View Post
    I keep trying to find what I need but but get confused by lack of details or my lack of hard networking background.
    I need to connect wireless ubuntu 8.04 to x box 360 so i have installed fire starter and setup but It will not connect to 360 and some places it says firestarter has the dchp that i need and what is the need for the master? other places it says to set dchp range. is that the input to firestarter or output? this the only area I have found windows to be easier
    to bridge or ics otherwise Ubuntu seems as good or better than windows
    i have not yet gotten around to working on the firestarter documentation. the existing CLI/iptables documentation was erroneous and misleading, so that's where i started.

my next step will be to work on a few advanced CLI techniques, then i will focus on firestarter. i know that firestarter howtos exist, so if you need a gui interface, i suggest you look for them. if you need ICS now, you can try the CLI/iptables section.

Beans
    Distro

Just updated the wiki with directons for including a DHCP server in ICS configuration.

As ever, testing and feedback is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Wiki article is just about complete. Could use some formatting cleanup and improvments in wording in some places.

The section on using firestarter is incomplete and written badly, but I think it's easy enough to do ICS without firestarter that elaboration isn't necessary.

Beans

Hello all!

Just read through all the documentation on the wiki and am still a bit confused - my ICS situation is a little weird. I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a Hardy based laptop connected to my building's internet with wifi (wlan0, no ethernet available). I want to share the connection via the laptop's ethernet port (eth0) to a wired-only router which, unfortunately, is hard-coded to use 192.168.15.x subnet. This router, in turn, will supply an internet connection to the wired-only desktop and an old wired-only notebook.

If possible, I would still like to use Network Manager for wlan0 on the Hardy laptop. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by majornoob View Post
    Hello all!

Just read through all the documentation on the wiki and am still a bit confused - my ICS situation is a little weird. I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a Hardy based laptop connected to my building's internet with wifi (wlan0, no ethernet available). I want to share the connection via the laptop's ethernet port (eth0) to a wired-only router which, unfortunately, is hard-coded to use 192.168.15.x subnet. This router, in turn, will supply an internet connection to the wired-only desktop and an old wired-only notebook.
    The router will be a problem. Enabling ICS will turn your laptop into a router. Two routers on the same network can be done, but you should really try to see if there is a way to disable DHCP on the router before resorting to configuring two subnets.

What make and model of router do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by majornoob View Post
    If possible, I would still like to use Network Manager for wlan0 on the Hardy laptop. Any ideas?
    This should not be a problem with the wireless side, but it could interfere with the wired (eth0) side.

Beans

Sorry for the late reply, was out of town for a few days.

The router is a Vonage-supplied Linksys (similar to a WRT54G) with a phone port. Unfortunately, Vonage locks down their hardware pretty tight, so it is more or less impossible to change settings AFAIK. Thus, the router is basically permanently set as 192.168.15.1 and assigns IP addresses in the 192.168.15.x subnet.

Any ideas that I can try are much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

In that case, this will likely not be possible:
    internet <-> ubuntu <-> vonage router <-> other computers

This is possible:
    internet <-> vonage router <-> ubuntu <-crossover-cable-> other comptuers
    -or-
    internet <-> ubuntu <-> hub (remove router) <-> other computers

Your may also call and talk to vonage about your situation (that you connect to the internet wirelessly), and ask them what they suggest you do to get around this problem.

Before calling Vonage, you would need to configure ICS and test it with the router removed. Then you could call them and tell them you have ICS configured and working on your wirelessly connected computer, and that you are unable to connect with your router in place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face Re: Internet Connection Sharing Documentation

I've been working through the ICS documentation and ran into this issue concerning the "state" argument in iptables.

-----------------------------------
    $sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
    $sudo iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    $sudo iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE

My code for the first line is actually this:
    ---------------------------------------
    $sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
    ---------------------------------------

When running the command I get this error message:

iptables v1.3.8: Unknown arg `--state'
    Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

I tried iptables -h and did some searching but haven't come up with an answer.

Hardy 8.04 LTS updated yesterday. I'm also very rusty when it comes to command line and pretty much re-learning at this point.

Thanks.

Now solved--------I found a typing error on my part----
    Last edited by wdypdx1; September 25th, 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Problem solved

Beans

I have followed the wiki, but I am not having any luck. I am not getting any errors, and things appear to be setup properly, but I am still unable to get Internet access with my Xbox (1).

I can access shared files on the Linux box through the XBox, but cant get beyond that.

can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks

**Never mind, Figured it out...**
    Last edited by kazbear; October 3rd, 2008 at 03:55 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast