Thread: Concerned about help/advice given by ********

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Concerned about help/advice given by ********

As many of the Admins may or may not know, I entered many reports against posts by ******** for what I feel to be bad/unhelpful advice. Yesterday, I PM'd PriceChild with my concern and he suggested I report the posts.

I've really only noticed ******** around here over the last month, but his profile says he joined in January. Also, I realize that English isn't his native language, but I believe this to be more than a language barrier issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=502224 <---suggests to use feisty repo in gutsy
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=501698 <---same as above
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497193 <---same as above again.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=501875 <---I'm on the fence on this one, his advice is very incomplete, if not bad.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500580 <---once again, incomplete if not bad

I accumulated those with just a quick look through his Posts page. I'm not claiming that I've always been perfect with advice and I can even think of a few instances where I was wrong. I also took those opportunities to learn form my mistakes, something ******** doesn't seem to be doing.

I would just like to be sure that as the community grows, the level of help and advice remains at a high level.

Thanks for the consideration.

Brad
    Last edited by matthew; July 19th, 2007 at 09:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Concerned about help/advice given by ********

Last edited by matthew; July 19th, 2007 at 09:33 AM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Apparently ******** isn't accepting PMs anymore, so this is a response to two PMs he sent me:

I don't remember you making a post that made me mad, and this isn't revenge. I posted as a concerned forum member because you were giving bad advice.

Whether you warned them first or not is irrelevant. You're doing nothing but encouraging a bad practice. As the Ubuntu community continues to grow at such a rapid pace, it's imperative that experienced forum members make sure they give the best advice and help they can to the beginners.

The security and stability of Ubuntu and Linux in general depend greatly on a number of factors. Two of those factors are using the correct distro/version specific repos AND using only official repos. Third-party repos should only be used as a last resort as the vast majority of needed packages are already found within the official repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, things are getting ridiculous now. He's PMing me but isn't accepting PMs and his signature is a link to this thread saying:
    someone is trying to ******** me,i don't know what is his problem with me.but please,if anybody mad or feel uncomfortable with my post,please directly send private msg..thanks

Beans

Personally I think you need to drop it and stop picking on ******** There are 1000's of users that post here daily and its a open forum, some advice might be better then other advice you can't really police that. I think its best to just move on.

I'm not sure what resolution you want here, but I will offer you a warning to stop harassing ********
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I respect your decision and thank you for your consideration. Also, I apologize for any problem caused.
    Last edited by matthew; July 19th, 2007 at 09:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am removing the specific users name from all the posts in this thread. It is still recorded in the staff area, but I can't see any reason to have him potentially subjected to public humiliation.
    Last edited by matthew; July 19th, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!