Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Webcam for Linux?

Beans

Best Webcam for Linux?

My favorite solution to the "my hardware doesn't work in Linux" problem is buying hardware that does.

For most categories, I know the most compatible stuff. But I don't know anything about webcams.

Which model and make of webcam is easiest to install in Linux? Which ones work with Amsn without a lot of fighting?
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best Webcam for Linux?

I found the spcaXX based webcams that I bought relatively easy to get going.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...ghlight=webcam

Beans

I've got a Logitec QuickCam Pro 4000 which seems to be working great with the pwc-modules package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Watch out for the pwc modules. There are proprietary problems with the reverse engineered modules in 2.6.10/11 which has caused the module to be somewhat downgraded in 2.6.12 apparently.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kleeman
    Watch out for the pwc modules. There are proprietary problems with the reverse engineered modules in 2.6.10/11 which has caused the module to be somewhat downgraded in 2.6.12 apparently.
    Sonofabitch! I'm working with a $30,000 piece of software on an outdated OS with a now unsupported camera

On Debian at least, the pwc-modules package is in the main repo, which means no freeness issues. I guess that means I'm using the crippled driver, seems to work fine for my uses - and my uses are probably a little more demanding than most.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As I understand it the old pwcx part of the driver had proprietary stuff in it (decompressors). The new driver
    http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/
    reverse engineered this part of the driver and this made the kernel developers nervous in some way.

Beans

The best webcam for linux is currently the Logitech C200, it is reccomended as a "Camera that simply works" on the Official Ubuntu help site.

I have just ordered one but I know people who have used it and it is FANTASTIC. Do not hesitate to get the Logitech C200.

If you want the best and least hassle webcam for linux the c200 is the way to go.

Plus it's cheap too! only 20 GBP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just bought a Logitech QuickCam E3500 for my daughters' 9.10 install.

Worked perfectly with no extra installs and Skype works. Can't complain for 20 euros.
    Ian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LewisDre4m View Post
    The best webcam for linux is currently the Logitech C200, it is reccomended as a "Camera that simply works" on the Official Ubuntu help site.

I have just ordered one but I know people who have used it and it is FANTASTIC. Do not hesitate to get the Logitech C200.

If you want the best and least hassle webcam for linux the c200 is the way to go.

Plus it's cheap too! only 20 GBP
    I didn't know the C200 was recommended, but I bought one the other day; just plugged it in and it worked.

The default exposure and gain settings aren't too good though, so you get heaps of motion blur.
    I had to install guvcview through synaptic to be able to change them.

AUSTRALIANS, be counted against planned censorship of our internet here!!
    #nocleanfeed #openinternet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast