Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks Like Linspire 6.0 Is Out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Looks Like Linspire 6.0 Is Out

The Linspire site has Linspire 6.0 out and its labeled as "Powered by Ubuntu".

Since Linspire has been working with interoperability with MS Windows (after it agreed to use Ubuntu as its base), shouldn't we have access to CNR yet? Will Linspire remember its agreement with Ubuntu and make it a two way collaboration?

How does everyone feel about Linspire leveraging Ubuntu and partnering with Microsoft?
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans

Re: Looks Like Linspire 6.0 Is Out

I'd be surprised if there were any Linspire users in this forum.
    Need help with CSS and web development? Drop by CSS Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Oh I don't think there are. However, as Ubuntu users, I wanted to gauge the feelings on having Linpsire being based on Ubuntu and what do we get out of this relationship. How does Linspire's agreement with MS impact our distro and the agreement between Linspire and canonical.
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, Linspire is planning to port CNR to Ubuntu and a bunch of other major desktop distros. Don't know how many Ubuntu users will actually install and use CNR, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

If you click on the 'buy now' you arrive at a comparison page between Ubuntu 7.04 and Linspire 6.0. Very telling, especially the last part,

We provide you the confidence of knowing that Linspire actively secures proper intellectual property licenses and assurances for 3rd party technology that are part of our products. These efforts include licensing agreements between Linspire and dozens of commercial software vendors, including our arrangement with Microsoft to provide Linspire customers with Microsoft patent covenants.
    - this is really the part I have a problem with.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by kripkenstein View Post
    If you click on the 'buy now' you arrive at a comparison page between Ubuntu 7.04 and Linspire 6.0. Very telling, especially the last part,

We provide you the confidence of knowing that Linspire actively secures proper intellectual property licenses and assurances for 3rd party technology that are part of our products. These efforts include licensing agreements between Linspire and dozens of commercial software vendors, including our arrangement with Microsoft to provide Linspire customers with Microsoft patent covenants.
    - this is really the part I have a problem with.
    I was just about to post that. I thoroughly despise the way they frame that comparison, as if they are implying Ubuntu is some illegitimate pirate OS that could get you sued just for installing things. Their comparison on that page (link here) is slanted very well so as not to be slanderous (although one might imply it from some statements) but just enough to be misinforming to the average consumer.

Take this for instance:

We Add KDE
    We use KDE (Version 3.5.6) for an easier-to-use and more comfortable interface, with a familiar look & feel for Mac and Windows users.
    They of course only compare to vanilla Ubuntu 7.04 and fail to mention Kubuntu comes standard with KDE, or that one can install it (KDE/GNOME) with a few clicks after the fact on any Ubuntu version.

They are becoming more and more obnoxious as they go on it seems. It's a shame that no matter how you feel about them repackaging Ubuntu and adding their stuff, they are free to do that per all the licenses (as well as misinform users). It makes me sick.

Oh and ya, I don't care about CNR. Nothing is wrong with Aptitude + Synaptic/Adept, it does everything I need and I do believe anyone that read's my guide and other documentation can get anything they want out of it (barring anomalous complication from a specific package/program).
    Last edited by starcraft.man; July 16th, 2007 at 09:10 PM.

Beans

That is one distro I may serously have a problem with. The CNR gives us nothing that we do not already have, but may create means to restrict us the end users especially if it gets made the default package manager and creates listening ports for MS or other vendors?

This is probably why MS has alied themselves with them. Sorry to rant like this guys. This is not typical for me, but I am wary or paranoid about something in this partnership.

Ubuntu has been a God send of a distro mainly in part to its admins, helpful users that ask and solve questions, and developers.

I like what Linspire is doing though as they are improving as well. But I refuse to be a part of that especially given the wordings of their partnership. It does implicate the end users of most free OSes including this one.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

One thing I like about CNR is installing of programs you have to buy.
    It gives the ease of Synaptic for installing things like Pixel or UT2004...
    That is a thing, that makes me consider trying it.
    I just love it when you're being sarcastic --aks44

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well I'm glad they got a new release out but I am also annoyed by the whole "buy us because we're the most/more LEGIT" unlike those other distros, especially the one on who's shoulders we're standing on.

What stands on the shoulders of "highbrow pirates"? Oh that's right, parrots...*looks for parrot icon*

As for CNR, I don't think it's out yet though it might soon be. After this whole ordeal (not just the tired patent deal, but the arrogance and snobness of saying you have the moral high ground) I don't think I might use CNR, though I acknowledge many new users will find it useful if not comfortable with synaptic or want something a little more than Gnome add/remove apps.

It's a good distro for its market and their CNR thing is cute, but the we actually respect more IP than some people political mudslinging thing has to stop.

Beans

Currently only Linspire 6 OEM is available. The new CNR is not live yet for Linspire or Ubuntu. It's kinda pointless for them to release this without the new CNR functionality...

Linspire (Lindows) was the first Linux that I used. I really liked them back then and the OS worked pretty well. Now, however, I think the company is headed downhill fast. IMO Linspire the OS will only continue for a little while longer. They will put all of their eggs in the CNR basket and hope that somehow they can become profitable...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast